Beer in Phuket

madmitch

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

We've had a couple of well-read wine threads in this forum, which have occasionally mentioned beers, but there's no specific beer thread, so I've decided to rectify this. Bargains, new beers, anything beer related.

i'll start with two pictures. In the first, all these beers except the Busaba Wheat beer were purchased in Central Food Hall (TOPs) in the old Central yesterday for 79 baht each. I've not tasted them yet. They weren't on offer in TOPs in new Central. The St Bernabus is getting close to its sell-by date but I reckon with its ABV it'll be fine. The Busaba  (by Full Moon) is on sale in Promphan for 59 baht.

The second picture is a new beer I spotted in 7-Eleven yesterday. I don't mind the Black Dragon Red Ale but this one is pretty awful: too fizzy, chemical taste, total lack of character.

IMG_20201119_204640.jpg

IMG_20201119_204956.jpg

Was the St.Bernardus Abt 12 (dark beer) also priced at 79 baht? One of the best doppelbock beers. Would buy all.

No, only the tripel. The others St Bernadus were priced at 179 baht. I bought one or two of all those on offer though gave an American beer a miss as I thought it seemed well past its sell-by date. Realised on the way home that the date would probably be written American style so it goes out of date in December, not last April!

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, madmitch said:

No, only the tripel. The others St Bernadus were priced at 179 baht. I bought one or two of all those on offer though gave an American beer a miss as I thought it seemed well past its sell-by date. Realised on the way home that the date would probably be written American style so it goes out of date in December, not last April!

Thanks. Ok so the regular price for the abt 12. Never mind will go and get some tripel.

8 minutes ago, schlog said:

Thanks. Ok so the regular price for the abt 12. Never mind will go and get some tripel.

I haven't tried it yet but the Kagua Rouge sounds interesting. It's a Japanese Belgian style 9% ale with hints of sansho pepper. Must be worth a try if you lke Belgian beers at 79 baht for a 33cl bottle.

• Like 2

I’m exclusively an ale drinker at home in the UK (when the pubs are open!) and a couple of years ago I tried the micro-brewery in JungCeylon – most disgusting pint that I’ve ever forced down.

The facts that the burger was also disappointing and that they add VAT and service charge to your final bill ensures that they never got a second chance.

I’m not keen on bottled Thai beers but they’re reasonably priced, available in all of the bars and eateries, and you do get used to them – I find San Miguel Light perfectly drinkable.

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better.
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, madmitch said:

I haven't tried it yet but the Kagua Rouge sounds interesting. It's a Japanese Belgian style 9% ale with hints of sansho pepper. Must be worth a try if you lke Belgian beers at 79 baht for a 33cl bottle.

Had luck and got 3 Kagua and 3 St. Bernardus Tripel. Thanks madmitch.

My favorite top 3 beers here on hkt:

1. Korbinian @makro 175 baht

2. St.Bernardus Abt 12 @Tops 179baht

3. 86 Black @Tops 124 baht

Compared with europa it's a expensive beer desert here but a bigger selection then in the old days when you only could choose between Carlsberg which was good and Singha.

Let's keep an eye on Tops. That was now their second round beers @ 79 baht.

• Thanks 1

It was about this time last year that the local Makro started to knock out some beers cheaply. I missed out on the half price Fullers beers but did pick up some Belgian, Japanese and Italian beers, also Brothers Cider. I think we can allow cider in this thread as well!

I'll be keeping my eyes open.

• Thanks 1

@London Lowf

It's not open at the moment, but when/if it reopens, consider trying Full Moon Brewery again.

Last time I went they had at least ten beers on tap, including some excellent brews from Brewdog. I especially liked Elvis Juice which has grapefruit infused in it. It sounds like a horrible idea, but I find it moreish! There was Punk IPA as well, an old favourite.

????

@Tapster - agreed that Elvis Juice is amazing stuff and I really got into it a couple of years ago (along with Flying Dog "Snake Dog" from the USA) during my summer break from cask ales.

The craft beer market has really exploded in the last few years and I believe that Brewdog are at the pinnacle in the UK with there adventurous brews, packaging and advertising - can you get a more inspired name than "Nanny State" for an alcohol-free beer? Punk IPA is far and away their most popular and the draft is now quite common in UK pubs.

If it is available at the Full Moon I will definitely give the place another go and ignore their home-brews this time - however, I do not drink beer at home so I hope that there's a bit (a lot!) more atmosphere in there than last time.

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better.

I'm a Beer Lao fan. Local 7-11 was stocking it for a while but seems to have stopped, A shame as they were doing well. i now have a distributor with a delivery Service in Phuket who does lager, Dark, White, IPA and Gold. Prices go from abut B49 a bottle for the Lager to B80 a bottle for the Gold (its a lovely drop for a treat though) I am well aware that Makro does Lager and Dark but these guys sell for less than them.

Handy if you have a wife/GF to order it though as their English is not hot. They do free delivery. Can't remember if the price below is with or without the 7% tax on top and can't be bothered to look through the bin for the receipt.

Anyone who wants a contact email or phone number send me a message. I don't think the picture breaks site rules on advertising as there are no actual contact details. I'm sure some White Knight will grass me up if the rules have been broken though.????

Edit: I'll double check the prices below tomorrow as I'm sure I paid less than the numbers on here.

lao.jpg

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 3:54 PM, madmitch said:

If you need more of this 2 beers today in new central tops only 59 baht.

1606282650899.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, schlog said:

1606282650899.jpg

19 hours ago, schlog said:

1606282650899.jpg

Did you try it @schlog? What did you think? I thought it was OK, quite liked the spicy aftertaste. It wasn't syrupy like some 9% brews. I wouldn't pay full price for it though.

And talking of strong beers I tried this yesterday. I don't recommend it. It tastes strong but that is it's only redeemong feature: characterless, vague lager flavour. Makes Carlsberg Special taste like a craft beer! Cheers Extra Strong is much better.

IMG_20201125_222414.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Did you try it @schlog? What did you think? I thought it was OK, quite liked the spicy aftertaste. It wasn't syrupy like some 9% brews. I wouldn't pay full price for it though.

And talking of strong beers I tried this yesterday. I don't recommend it. It tastes strong but that is it's only redeemong feature: characterless, vague lager flavour. Makes Carlsberg Special taste like a craft beer! Cheers Extra Strong is much better.

IMG_20201125_222414.jpg

Like you said the Kagua was ok. The Tripel is good and i like it. Bought yesterday more Tripel.

I also would not pay full price for both.

Weihenstephaner Vitus i prefer for the Tripel and for the Kagua i would take Aventinus Schneiderweisse, Korbinian or Abt 12.

On 11/26/2020 at 8:40 AM, madmitch said:

IMG_20201125_222414.jpg

Couldn't quite work this out. When I checked, normal Leo is 5%, this new one is 5.1%???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 5:16 PM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

There is a Lao white beer available at Rimping. Not bad brew.

Sick of the old Chang, Singha and Leo.

Time for more fair priced competition. 

Ya, I hear you.  Was living in Fort Collins CO, one of the microbrewy Mecca's in the US before moving to LOS 4 years ago.  While in Phuket now drinking <deleted> water (every thing is closed in Karon) when I get back to Chiang Mai I'm heading back to the German Microbrewy for a decent fresh brewed pint.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

65 baht per bottle at Food For Foreigners in Rawai or 350 baht for a six-pack. Yes, do the sums!

Tried the IPA last night. Good, maltier and less citrussy than you expect from craft-style  IPAs these days.

I'll report when I've tried the other two.

So annoying that beers like these have to be exported then re-imported. Thanks ThaiBev and Boon Rawd.

IMG_20210331_215234.thumb.jpg.2907ea8ec1d2452934f0fe6b1fdc1f38.jpg

On 4/1/2021 at 12:54 PM, madmitch said:

65 baht per bottle at Food For Foreigners in Rawai or 350 baht for a six-pack. Yes, do the sums!

Tried the IPA last night. Good, maltier and less citrussy than you expect from craft-style  IPAs these days.

I'll report when I've tried the other two.

So annoying that beers like these have to be exported then re-imported. Thanks ThaiBev and Boon Rawd.

IMG_20210331_215234.thumb.jpg.2907ea8ec1d2452934f0fe6b1fdc1f38.jpg

To continue with my review: the Pale Ale is fine. Unfiltered, thereby giving a bit of malty/hoppy character, though lacking bitterness. Not bad by Thai standards but you wouldn't go out of your way to buy it in the UK or USA.

The Witbeer was dreadful: a clear, filtered brew that resembled a regular lager, probably slightly darker. If tasted nothing like a Belgian Witbier or a German Weissbeer; in fact I think the bottle I had tasted like it was well past its sell-by date but as the bottle don't seem to have a best before date I couldn't tell. To say that Snowy Weissen is better should give a clue as to how bad this was.

So, of the three, the IPA is the only one I'd buy again.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, madmitch said:

To say that Snowy Weissen is better should give a clue as to how bad this was.

Lol.

Tried that riceberry cheers beer some days ago. Filled it into my glass i thought wooow holly <deleted> it looks like a great doppelbock.

But taste&smell are a big disappointment.

Tomorrow Tops time to buy real beer!

Back from Tops. This are my top 3 doppelbock here on HKT.

@madmitch did you try Korbinian?

It's a dark doppelbock with light foam. Taste of toffee, nuts, chocolate and dark malt aroma. 10/10 points from me for that beer.

For Abt and Celebrator can give only 9 points because of their small bottle seize lol.

20210405_125559.jpg

• Like 1