"Waterfront Pattaya": A "never ending epic" but eyesore could soon be demolished

webfact

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

There is more to this than meets the eye.

Simple, Who (if anybody stamped & sealed the plans on behalf of the council (fired)

Building Inspector at the time ? cannot read plans   fired

If I was the developer & have in my possession a signed, stamped approved set of building plans 

& it has been built as per plan we would have been in court by now so what did happen?

Built with no EPA approval ?

Please tell

it blocked the view of a revered statue, i am informed. 

Edited by RJRS1301

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So a Khunpluem approved of the building in 2008 before ordering a stop to construction in 2014 and its destruction in 2016. What's the odds on another Khunpluem winning the demolition tender?

Nepotism is a close relative of greed and corruption.

9 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

it blocked the view of a revered statue, i am informed. 

protesters claimed it did.The sitting Mayor-then "decided" to look into it as political pressure stated to build up. If it wasn't for the protests, the building had a green light one way or another and would have been completed and occupied by the owners now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howiehotspur said:

I jog passed it and near it daily ...  seeing is believing... 

but you live in hope .. 

I know nothing of civil engineering,but it’s going to be some task I’d imagine 

( blown it up ? ) demolition? 

No problem for a proffesional implosion demolition contractor ...just check several ones  on youtube ..., even with buildings surrounding no damage .

Could be a touristic event ????... and a lesson for the future money hungry buyers of plan in Thailand .....dont do it .!

19 minutes ago, natway09 said:

There is more to this than meets the eye.

Simple, Who (if anybody stamped & sealed the plans on behalf of the council (fired)

Building Inspector at the time ? cannot read plans   fired

If I was the developer & have in my possession a signed, stamped approved set of building plans 

& it has been built as per plan we would have been in court by now so what did happen?

Built with no EPA approval ?

Please tell

there was an EPA approval

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, david555 said:

No problem for a proffesional implosion demolition contractor ...just check several ones  on youtube ..., even with buildings surrounding no damage .

Could be a touristic event ????... and a lesson for the future money hungry buyers of plan in Thailand .....dont do it .!

those buyers are investors and probably only 1 out of 100 turns out to be a bad investment..99 is good. Since 2000, I bought and sold 8 condos in Asia and made a fortune. no more hunger. I'd say "do it!"

Edited by pattayadude

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

It's a shame that they can't find a compromise to chop off, say, ten or fifteen floors and then complete it. Such a huge waste of money, materials and effort, all that CO2 for nothing, poor Greta will be choking on her Surströmming, lol. But I guess in the time-honoured Thai way, there's more money to be made for the powers-that-be in demolishing it than there would be in completing it.

Totally agree.  A waste to demolish it.  Just lower the building height by the top setback--which is the least finished anyway.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pattayadude said:

and All THIS flew under the former mayor's radar? yeah right!..wait wait..you mean to tell me that the mayor realized the building was too high or something was wrong with the project after it was topped off at some 200 meters height? oh wow, that's a sharp guy! ...and now his brother, the current mayor will see to it that it gets demolished? ok , I trust that...and their father was who? swell!

Doesn't surprise me at all, feel for the investors what happened to all them must be a massive legal thing going on here in which no investors will get anything i would assume

20 minutes ago, petermik said:

Pity Fred Dibnah is no longer with us.... after a few ciggies he would have dropped it in no time....????

I am sure in the USA enough capable demolition contractors are still active and alive .....who could do it and clean the view here in Pattaya ????

I have run this building structure through several architectural design programs to analyse it for wind load and other environmental risks. All analysis indicate the aspect ratio of the building is incorrect (i.e. it is too high for its cross section)

Thus glaze it, wait for a high wind, and there is a high risk she'll topple over.

I can't imagine that I am the only engineer to recognise this problem...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

It's a shame that they can't find a compromise to chop off, say, ten or fifteen floors and then complete it. Such a huge waste of money, materials and effort, all that CO2 for nothing, poor Greta will be choking on her Surströmming, lol. But I guess in the time-honoured Thai way, there's more money to be made for the powers-that-be in demolishing it than there would be in completing it.

There is a massive huge pile of money to be made by completing the building.....Buy it for pennies on the dollar....Throw the previous condo buyers under the bus....Grease a few palms so its all legal....Re-sell all the condos again...Finish the work....Make a fortune.....

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Just another foreigner rip off with many prepaying deposits and progress payments.....my guess is that no-one has been reimbursed a dime....this guy is a serious crook!

Not only your guess but unfortunately true. Full loss for everyone. Some lost millions of USD some their life savings...

• Like 1

Everyone who's exited about this 'eyesore' soon disappearing must have forgotten about all the other eyesores surrounding and built directly on Khao Pratumnak, where piece by piece of green land is disappearing and replaced by concrete and more useless concrete towers. The worst of them imo is 'The One" close to the beach, as it destroys the beautiful view to Koh Larn, but there are others as well.

I think that pretty shortly after the "Waterfront" would be removed, it would be replaced by yet another concrete tower. Well, maybe it's at least a few floors lower, but for sure it will cover the formerly 'green hill' in large parts as well.

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So a Khunpluem approved of the building in 2008 before ordering a stop to construction in 2014 and its destruction in 2016. What's the odds on another Khunpluem winning the demolition tender?

Verically challenged Sontaya Khunpluem is the godfather of the Khunpluem family and was appointed Mayor by Prayut in 2018 using Article 44. Sontaya is Prayut's eyes and ears in Pattaya and can do as he likes. Likewise his family has the same privileges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

But the project that got the EPA approval looked a bit different, isn't it?

Correct. The top several stories were added later. Obvious when you look at it and they were the bone of contention. The developers eventually agreed to remove them and did make a start, but then.....nothing for several years now.

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Just another foreigner rip off with many prepaying deposits and progress payments.....my guess is that no-one has been reimbursed a dime....this guy is a serious crook!

Would have been nice if the OP article, after mentioning folks made 4 to 10 million baht purchases on spec, had mentioned just what became of all those deposits?

11 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

Similar to that monster in Bangkok! Saphan Thaksin!

I mean the building there not the former PM! 

Maybe you are referring to the Sathorn Unique ghost tower near the  Taksin Bridge. The Taksin Bridge is named so after the Maharaj Taksin, King of Thonburi and heralded expeller of Burmese invaders. He is quite noble and different from the Thaksin family.

If I am mistaken, let me know so I can see this building out of curiosity. Cheers 

8 hours ago, pepi2005 said:

Everyone who's exited about this 'eyesore' soon disappearing must have forgotten about all the other eyesores surrounding and built directly on Khao Pratumnak, where piece by piece of green land is disappearing and replaced by concrete and more useless concrete towers. The worst of them imo is 'The One" close to the beach, as it destroys the beautiful view to Koh Larn, but there are others as well.

I think that pretty shortly after the "Waterfront" would be removed, it would be replaced by yet another concrete tower. Well, maybe it's at least a few floors lower, but for sure it will cover the formerly 'green hill' in large parts as well.

I agree with you on every word..Fast fwd 10-20 years, you will see 10-20 floor structures built all the way to the lighthouse. This happens in every developing country or even in developed countries..all the "nuke it, bomb it" advocates either own or rent in a building that was built on what used to be  green patches of land.. Don't bury your heads in the sand like ostriches.Pattaya of today was actually a sleepy fisherman's village 50 years ago.It's hard to deny the reality

Edited by pattayadude

16 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Not quite as serious as papa used to be!