Is It Fair

ThaiPauly

There has been some talk about teams fielding weaker sides in the league because of other commitments.

Take Liverpool today for example....hardly any regulars in the side ...saving all their best players for the European Cup Final and that is not till 23rd May.

Is it just lucky for Fulham that they played them on this particular day? Or is it VERY unfair on the teams around them.

Who would have predicted that Fulham would win if Liverpool were playing their first team?

There was a lot of hasle when Boro left Mark Viduka out of an EPL game a month or so ago because they were saving him for the cup replay with MU?

Boro could have fielded a weaker team against Wigan today, but they did not , and they have nothing to play for,

Are Liverpool guilty of showing dissrespet to other clubs by their team selection?

Fulham winning a match they had no right to win (no wins in 10 games and beat the European Cup Finalists ) could cost another side their Premiership Status worth MILLIONS.

What do you guys think?

There has been some talk about teams fielding weaker sides in the league because of other commitments.

Take Liverpool today for example....hardly any regulars in the side ...saving all their best players for the European Cup Final and that is not till 23rd May.

Is it just lucky for Fulham that they played them on this particular day? Or is it VERY unfair on the teams around them.

Who would have predicted that Fulham would win if Liverpool were playing their first team?

There was a lot of hasle when Boro left Mark Viduka out of an EPL game a month or so ago because they were saving him for the cup replay with MU?

Boro could have fielded a weaker team against Wigan today, but they did not , and they have nothing to play for,

Are Liverpool guilty of showing dissrespet to other clubs by their team selection?

Fulham winning a match they had no right to win (no wins in 10 games and beat the European Cup Finalists ) could cost another side their Premiership Status worth MILLIONS.

What do you guys think?

The world is full of cheats and the Premier League of England is no exception. Every club looks out for its own interests and rarely helps out another. I don't think Liverpool were trying to do Fulham a favour; but only a favour to themselves. In these days of large squads, who can say that it isn't a manager's right to pick whichever XI he feels suit a particular fixture?

I remember Sunderland going down 30 years ago after Jimmy Hill conspired to have the Coventry City v Bristol City match delayed 5 minutes. When news of Sunderland's 2-0 defeat at Goodison Park came up on the scoreboard with 5 minutes left to play, the players of both sides stopped competing and satisfied themselves with a draw which kept them both up.

If Sunderland were in the same position as Wigan now, I would probably be screaming blue murder at the Premier League and West Ham. In reality, the only thing to do is gather enough points before the back end of the season and avoid being in this situation ... or alternatively do like Sunderland did in their last 2 seasons in the Premier League and get yourself relegated just after Christmas! :o

We could yet see another chapter of conspiracy this season.

If West Ham lose at Old Trafford next weekend and Sheffield United conspire to lose by one goal (1-0, 2-1, 3-2, etc.) to Wigan, then both Sheffield United and Wigan will be safe and West Ham will be relegated.

It's not something I would like to see happen, but Sheffield United and Wigan may feel that it is their way of serving up their own justice.

Anyway, West Ham will almost certainly be safe (unless Charlton have an unlikely late say in the matter) if they do themselves a favour and get a point at Man United.

Should be a fun afternoon next Sunday.

As a Fulham supporter, I had just been looking at the permutations in which we could still be relegated i.e. Charlton win both their matches by big scores, West Ham win at Manchester United and Sheffield United beat Wigan, and Fulham have a heavy defeat at Middlesbrough. On the balance of probabilities, I think we are safe. I also noticed the scenario, that if Charlton drop points against Tottenham, then Sheffield United would be safe before they play Wigan, and were Wigan to beat them and Manchester United get their revenge over West Ham, the hammers are down. Poetic justice and a £5.5 million fine!

Poetic justice and a £5.5 million fine!

Poetic justice? Yes, if a mediocre little team of non-achievers with crap support should take their rightful position in the lower league. That I'd call poetic justice.

If Liverpool go on to lose against Milan, that would be poetic justice, for effectively (barring a set of bizarre results) giving an unfair advantage to Fulham over the others fielding all but a team of reserves. Of course Liverpool should suffer some sort of penalty for that. But the English representative on the big stage...blah, blah ,blah.

It's what's done on the pitch that counts, and given that on a level playing field, then Fulham would now be fighting for their survival and (rightfully) probably be relegated.

Mucho gracious to the boring Spaniard

Edited by Happy Hammer

It probably isn't fair when teams field weakened sides against other teams rivals. I'm pretty sure that Liverpool didn't deliberately field a weakened team against Fulham because they want to see Wigan and Charlton relegated. It's just the luck of the draw. Luckily for Fulham they met Liverpool 4 days after the Reds qualified for the Champions league final. Next week Charlton and West Ham will more than likely face weakened Liverpool and Man Utd (if they've won the league already) teams as both will be resting players for forthcoming cup finals.

Anyway, the league is played over 38 games. The teams at the bottom are their because they haven't played well enough during their first 36 or 37 games. If they want to avoid these situations then they should take a leaf out of Reading and Portmouth's book and reach safety as soon as possible.

Liverpool could have beaten Fulham with better finishing - and finishing is a problem that occurs even when the real first team is playing.

Most of the Liverpool players that started have plenty of first-team experience and one or two would have been looking to impress for the European game.

A bit much for a West Ham supporter to talk about unfair advantages when 23 of their 38 points have come in games in which Tevez, an ineligible player, has been on the field. To be honest though, I don't feel the points should be deducted simply because the club itself brought the irregularities to the authorities' attention when ownership changed. The League is just digging a hole for itself with some of its reasoning.

Liverpool could have beaten Fulham with better finishing - and finishing is a problem that occurs even when the real first team is playing.

Most of the Liverpool players that started have plenty of first-team experience and one or two would have been looking to impress for the European game.

A bit much for a West Ham supporter to talk about unfair advantages when 23 of their 38 points have come in games in which Tevez, an ineligible player, has been on the field. To be honest though, I don't feel the points should be deducted simply because the club itself brought the irregularities to the authorities' attention when ownership changed. The League is just digging a hole for itself with some of its reasoning.

I think the FA have often shown themselves to be incapable of settling disputes like this. There is so much money involved in the game that it really is time they stopped slapping themselves on the backs and congratulating themselves on making the Premier League the most watched league in the world. It's time for them to sit down and consider all possible eventualities concerning the breach of rules and list fines and point deductions accordingly, so that everyone is aware of the consequences.

There is little consistency. As a Sunderland fan I have no affection for Middlesbrough whatsoever, but I think that they were unlucky to be relegated a few years back as a result of a 3 point deduction for failing to fulfil a fixture when they had a depleted squad hit by illness. Had they been a club such as Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or even Spurs, then you have to wonder what decision the FA might have reached.

I have read questions all over the newspapers along the lines of 'Why are West Ham still playing an ineligible player?'. It seems that they aren't playing an ineligible player ... or they are playing an ineligible player depending on the newspaper you read and the legal angle you look from. All in all it's a bit of a PR nightmare for the FA, who must hope that Sheffield United's players don't lie down on the pitch in injury time and 'let' Wigan score if and when news filters through that Manchester United have beaten West Ham.

Depends how you view English Premier League football.

If you consider it a sport, which it was, then it is the manager's responsibility to field the strongest team picked from the squad to ensure the best result for the fans.

If you consider it to be big business, which it now is, then the manager's responsibility is to ensure success in the matches with the highest financial return for the shareholders/owner/sponsors.

It is the latter scenario that Liverpool are in. A win against West Ham in this instance is meaningless particularly when compared to a cup final win against A C Milan. It's not cheating, as the manager can rest key players as and when he likes, but it does leave a nasty taste in the mouth as the fans have been treated to a second class performance and no discount on the ticket price.

What do you guys think?

All clubs have a squad of players these days not just a first team. Manchester United recently had eight players out injured including their entire first choice back four and one of their first choice strikers. They had to play squad players then, including playing a midfielder at fullback because they'd run out of fit defenders (and they kept on winning). Nobody would let a club postpone a game until their first choice players are fit would they. If these players are good enough to play then, then the manager should be able to pick them for any game he wants to without fear of being punished for doing so.

Just another thought, I wouldn't mind betting Chelsea play a team full of reserves tonight just so that John Terry and co. don't have to suffer the indignation of clapping the Manchester United team onto the pitch. I hope Fergie puts out a team of reserves as well.

I think both clubs will definitely rest players tonight Sumrit.. but according to The Guardian Fergie has no plans to do that against West Ham.. :o

We will do West Ham no favours, says Ferguson

Sir Alex Ferguson has promised the Premiership's relegation-threatened teams he will not field a weakened side against West Ham on Sunday. Ferguson intends to use his fringe players when Manchester United visit Chelsea tonight, with both clubs already looking ahead to the FA Cup final, but he insists he will not do West Ham any favours when they visit Old Trafford for the match that will determine whether

Alan Curbishley's team need a point to survive after a run of six victories in their last eight Premiership matches has taken them out of the relegation zone. However, a defeat is likely to send the London club into the Championship if Wigan Athletic win at Sheffield United and Ferguson said he had to be fair to the other clubs.

"I am going to make changes [against Chelsea] because our players are running on empty," he said. "But the West Ham game is a very important issue. We have to respect their reputation and Alan Curbishley is a very good friend of mine. But he understands I have to respect the issues of the other managers as well. I get on very well with Paul Jewell, for example, because he's an excellent chap. They [Wigan and Sheffield United] deserve our best attention to the game and I will be picking a team to win."

His declaration will be welcomed by West Ham's rivals although it is still highly conceivable Ferguson will keep key players back for the visit to Wembley on May 19. Ferguson's priority is now to win his sixth FA Cup and tonight he is likely to rest senior men such as Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes.

The champions will be given a guard of honour by Chelsea's players and Ferguson, who intends to take Jose Mourinho a conciliatory bottle of wine after their recent falling-out, said: "All we can do is enjoy the occasion. It's been a terrific achievement by us and I'm happy to be going there as champions because it would have been some game if we weren't. The players have given their last drop and I will have to spread my squad as best I can."

Mourinho is also expected to make significant changes and Ferguson is closely monitoring Didier Drogba's injury after he missed Sunday's 1-1 draw at Arsenal.

"All season I have been saying to myself: 'Will somebody please shoot Drogba?'" joked Ferguson. "His performances have been unbelievable. He has carried their team and he has kept getting these incredible goals. But he has had to play virtually all their games because they couldn't leave him out."

What do you guys think?

Most of the players from Liverpool's "weaker" team against fulham would get into the first team in over half of the current pemiership teams. We had the likes of Alonso , Bellamy , Fowler , Pennant , Sissoko and Finnan playing and were unlucky not to win by a couple of goals.

The reason we rested some of the first team is simple , were in the champions league final. If we were still in contention for the league title then there is no way Rafa would not pick Steven Gerrard , but what would have happened if Gerrard had played against Fulham and got injured and would miss the champions league final all because of an away game against the mighty fulham ?????...... :o .

Liverpool are NOT guilty of showing dissrespect to other clubs , I'm sure if any other team were in our position (Alex and jose) then their own manager would have done exactly the same as Rafa. The only managers who have suddenly got an opinion on the matter are those down there at the bottom.

Liverpool are not out to do any one any favours at the bottom and we dont care who gets relegated so dont be looking for handouts and get on with the job your being paid to do and keep your team in the premiership :D .

It also has to be pointed out that Liverpool have rested players against the weaker sides all season, as they have rotated their squad before and after champions league matches. Sheffield Utd have twice played against a weakened Liverpool side missing half of it's regulars. I didn't see Neil Warnock complaining about it then. This isn't something they have only just started doing.

It also has to be pointed out that Liverpool have rested players against the weaker sides all season, as they have rotated their squad before and after champions league matches. Sheffield Utd have twice played against a weakened Liverpool side missing half of it's regulars. I didn't see Neil Warnock complaining about it then. This isn't something they have only just started doing.

Just the point I was about to mention John. Rafa has been doing this for 3 years now, he puts out a side that he believes is capable of winning, using his entire squad. He also played a few young reserve players to give them some first team experience, again this is something he always does. Its funny how at the begining of the season when he was rotating his players and we were having some bad away results, he was being called the tinkerman and his rotation policy was being criticised. When he does the same and we have a good spell he is called a genius, now he is being called a cheat. If your down the bottom of the league after 38 games its no ones fault but your own, I wish these clubs would stop looking for excuses.

During february we played Sheffield Utd after just beating Barcelona 3 days earlier 2-1 and with ManU to play next. Did Rafa put out a weakend team then? of course he did. Again these were for the same reasons that he played a weaker side against Fulham. We had just played a important hard champions league match with the best players picked from the squad avaliable. Being only 3/4 days later some of the players that have played in most of the games this season got rested. Also looking towards important games coming up, then we had ManU coming to anfield to think about. This time we have the most important match in the season to think about coming up. The team he played against Sheffield Utd then was,

Dudek (2 starts all season in the prem)

Riise (First team player)

Carragher (First team CB)

Hyypia (Not first team this season due to Agger coming in)

Finnan (FirstTeam Rightback)

Gonzalez (14 prem starts all season)

Gerrard (First Team)

Mascherano (Making his debut after wasting half a season at westham)

Pennant (20 starts)

Crouch (19 starts )

Fowler (5 starts)

As you can see he used a large selection of his squad players, the only first choice players used were Riise, Carra, Finnan and Gerrard.

Before the match Warcock was probably rubbing his hands together, then his side got a 4-0 thrashing and we finally premership finally got to see the Mascherano is a quality player.

Edited by Jared

During february we played Sheffield Utd after just beating Barcelona 3 days earlier 2-1 and with ManU to play next. Did Rafa put out a weakend team then? of course he did. Again these were for the same reasons that he played a weaker side against Fulham. We had just played a important hard champions league match with the best players picked from the squad avaliable. Being only 3/4 days later some of the players that have played in most of the games this season got rested. Also looking towards important games coming up, then we had ManU coming to anfield to think about. This time we have the most important match in the season to think about coming up. The team he played against Sheffield Utd then was,

Gerrard (First Team)

Pennant (20 starts)

Crouch (19 starts )

Fowler (5 starts)

As you can see he used a large selection of his squad players, the only first choice players used were Riise, Carra, Finnan and Gerrard.

Before the match Warcock was probably rubbing his hands together, then his side got a 4-0 thrashing and we finally premership finally got to see the Mascherano is a quality player.

Nice one Jared , and "mash em up" Mascherano is my player to watch in the Athens final.

Even though it is still relatively early in his Liverpool career , I reckon Mascherano is Rafa's best signing at Liverpool.

The chelsea game was the first time since we signed him that Alonso has been dropped and that was down to the boy Mascher.

Gerrard (First Team)

Pennant (20 starts)

Crouch (19 starts )

Fowler (5 starts)

Care to comment on his team selection against Fulham ?

Jose Reina

Gabriel Paletta

Emiliano Insua

Alvaro Arbeloa

Sami Hyypia

Mark Gonzalez

Jermaine Pennant

Mohamed Sissoko

Xabi Alonso

Craig Bellamy

Robbie Fowler

Subs

Harry Kewell

Jack Hobbs

Steve Finnan

Nabil El Zhar

Daniele Padelli

I have sat on the fence since I started this thread..not saying its right or wrong as it does not affect Reading.

Some will argue that it is not FA policy to dictact to any team what players they should feild in any given game.....

But again I re-ittrate...would Liverpool have fielded such a weak team against Fulham in other circumstances?

Liverpool supporters..please comment......????????

Such a weak team?

With the exception of the two young lads, the rest of them look like first team regulars to me.

If Carragher and Gerrard were in that side, would anyone even be asking the question? But they can't play every match.

It wasn't Liverpool's strongest eleven, but it never is when they play the weaker teams. If Liverpool had to win it, then the team would be stronger, but the team Benitez put out was more than competitive and he has no obligation to help out other sides by picking his strongest eleven every match at the end of the season.

If he had put out his strongest eleven (which changes depending on opponents and circumstances anyway), would we hear Fulham complaining that it's not fair because Shef Utd got to play against a weakend Liverpool side earlier in the season? Or is he expected to pick the exact same team he picked against them in order to make it fair?

Edited by John_Rambo

But again I re-ittrate...would Liverpool have fielded such a weak team against Fulham in other circumstances?

The circumstances are everything. Benitez picks his team based on his circumstances. The team he picked should have been a couple of goals up by half time. The team he picked were trying to win.

7 of the team are 'proper' first teamers in a squad assembled for a rotation policy: Reina, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Pennant, Sissoko, Alonso, Bellamy.

Fowler is a man with huge experience, Gonzalez a player who would have been involved a lot more this season but for injury. That leaves Paletta and Insua, both very highly thought of - and they hardly fell apart did they? The bench was weak though.

If Liverpool were still going for the title he wouldn't have picked that team. If Liverpool had been playing West Ham or any other team that day, he would have picked that team.

Anyone who has seen some of Liverpool's recent league performances could tell you that even putting out a stronger team could well have brought the same result. At least here you had players looking to make their claim for a Champions League place (Pennant, Sissoko, Alonso, Bellamy) and a couple of youngsters anxious to impress. Much more likely to put in some effort than Stevie G strolling around with his mind on Athens.

If West Ham go down it's because of their own failings, not Liverpool's.

In today's game - where massive squads and squad rotation is a way of life - I see nothing wrong with it. Liverpool should only be concerned about their own players, their own fans and shareholders. What happens to the likes of West Ham etc as a result of their actions shouldnt come into play. The days when a team played a whole season using 12-14 players are long gone.

Teams are relegated over 38 matches, not one. If West Ham or Wigan are in trouble as a result of it, tough luck. They got themselves there in the first place.

9 (nine) reserves in fact.

Completely wrong. Five of those players got starts against Chelsea in the Champions league semi, and judging by the amount of games Hyypia, Sissoko and Gonzalez have played you could hardly categorize them as simply reserves. The central midfield pairing of Sissoko and Alonso has been Liverpool's first choice for the majority of the last two years.

If the two young lads hadn't played then nobody would even be mentioning this, but when else are you supposed to give them a chance? At Stamford Bridge against Chelsea in a crucial game at the start of next season? Hardly.

Edited by John_Rambo

9 (nine) reserves in fact.

Completely wrong. Five of those players got starts against Chelsea in the Champions league semi, and judging by the amount of games Hyypia, Sissoko and Gonzalez have played you could hardly categorize them as simply reserves. The central midfield pairing of Sissoko and Alonso has been Liverpool's first choice for the majority of the last two years.

If the two young lads hadn't played then nobody would even be mentioning this, but when else are you supposed to give them a chance? At Stamford Bridge against Chelsea in a crucial game at the start of next season? Hardly.

One of many match reports...

Fulham on brink of safety after win over Liverpool reserves

by Dean Jones Sat May 5, 12:49 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - Liverpool's come-down from reaching their second Champions League final in three years was steep enough for Fulham to claim a 1-0 win which virtually guarantees their Premiership survival.

United States international Clint Dempsey scored the crucial goal at Craven Cottage, his first strike since being signed for 1.5 million pounds by former manager Chris Coleman in January.

Introduced as a second half substitute, the American found the perfect time to open his account in London, firing home on 69 minutes after good build up play with Liam Rosenior.

The result means Fulham are now on 39 points, and are almost guaranteed a place in the Premiership next season.

Liverpool made nine changes from the side which beat Chelsea in the Champions League in midweek. Goalkeeper Jose Reina and midfield player Jermaine Pennant were the only players to keep their place as manager Rafael Benitez rested key stars ahead of their European final against AC Milan on May 23.

Continues...

Which is quite clearly a misleading title if you actually look at the players involved, and has only been used to imply that it wasn't Liverpool's strongest eleven. Which as has already been stated, it never is when they play weaker teams.

I have sat on the fence since I started this thread..not saying its right or wrong as it does not affect Reading.

Some will argue that it is not FA policy to dictact to any team what players they should feild in any given game.....

Liverpool supporters..please comment......????????

Is'nt it completley OBVIOUS to everyone that under diffrent circumstances we would have put out our full team and spanked Fulham 4-0 !!!!!!!!!!.

The reason we didnt is because were in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL , just a tad more important than anything else on our agenda at the moment.

If we were still in contention for the premiership then of course we would have played a full strength team , but were NOT and thats why an excellent manager like Rafa Benitez has used his squad players , which he is totally obliged to do , in a meaningless ( for Liverpool ) game to protect the players who are going to WIN the champions league :o .

As I've said before we dont give 2 ####s who gets relegated and dont be looking for any favours :D:D .

Care to comment on his team selection against Fulham ?

Jose Reina

Gabriel Paletta

Emiliano Insua

Alvaro Arbeloa

Sami Hyypia

Mark Gonzalez

Jermaine Pennant

Mohamed Sissoko

Xabi Alonso

Craig Bellamy

Robbie Fowler

Subs

Harry Kewell

Jack Hobbs

Steve Finnan

Nabil El Zhar

Daniele Padelli

With the exception of Fowler and the two Argentinian lads, all the rest of the players in that first eleven have been considered good enough to be first choice in games against the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Barcelona etc. Hardly reserves, and more than competitive enough to face Fulham.

Is'nt it completley OBVIOUS to everyone that under diffrent circumstances we would have put out our full team and spanked Fulham 4-0 !!!!!!!!!!.

The reason we didnt is because were in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL , just a tad more important than anything else on our agenda at the moment.

If we were still in contention for the premiership then of course we would have played a full strength team , but were NOT and thats why an excellent manager like Rafa Benitez has used his squad players , which he is totally obliged to do , in a meaningless ( for Liverpool ) game to protect the players who are going to WIN the champions league .

As I've said before we dont give 2 ####s who gets relegated and dont be looking for any favours

Which just about says it all :o

I personally have moved away from thinking that AC Milan would beat Liverpool to hoping that the fat Spaniard's team gets well and truly stuffed.

Good evening gentlemen.

If we were still in contention for the premiership then of course we would have played a full strength team , but were NOT and thats why an excellent manager like Rafa Benitez has used his squad players , which he is totally obliged to do , in a meaningless ( for Liverpool ) game to protect the players who are going to WIN the champions league .

As I've said before we dont give 2 ####s who gets relegated and dont be looking for any favours

Which just about says it all :o

I personally have moved away from thinking that AC Milan would beat Liverpool to hoping that the fat Spaniard's team gets well and truly stuffed.

Good evening gentlemen.