Trump says he will leave the White House if Electoral College votes for Biden

webfact

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So it would be fair for the large cities and liberal strongholds to rule the country is what you're saying. That's what would happen. I think the system the US has is just fine. But as I've said the rest of the world is jealous of the US and it shows with all the interest foreigners have in our affairs.

You keep on saying that and providing no proof of it. I seriously doubt that people in most other economically advanced nations are jealous  of those who live in the USA. Life is a lot more precarious and a lot more limited in the USA than in those nations. As for those from poor countries, they may well be envious of those in richer nations. But not exclusively or mostly the US.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So it would be fair for the large cities and liberal strongholds to rule the country is what you're saying. That's what would happen. I think the system the US has is just fine. But as I've said the rest of the world is jealous of the US and it shows with all the interest foreigners have in our affairs.

We are not jealous. We are saddened by what has happened to America under Trump's watch.

Why would we not be interested in your affairs? World's reserve currency, and biggest debt by a country mile.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

It would be fair if each vote had the same weight. Now it does not and yes if it means that large cities and liberal strongholds rule as a result that is then ok with me. It would be ok the other way around too. For me in real democracies each vote will have the same weight.

I have no jealousy towards Americans at all. You can imagine all you want if i could choose what country I was born I would still choose the one i came from. Its far fairer then the US. 

I have interests in the UK too and in other countries, does not mean jealousy at all. If a system is outdated or unfair it does not matter what country it happens I can have an opinion about it. You can have an opinion about things that don't happen in your country too. 

The world is a small place now with internet and so on. Its easy to have an opinion and collect facts if one wants.

I understand that it will not change as too many have a lot too lose if it changes. Republican's would never be voted in again. So I understand this is not something that will change anytime soon. Too much opposition. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So it would be fair for the large cities and liberal strongholds to rule the country is what you're saying. That's what would happen. I think the system the US has is just fine.

No, that is not what he is saying since the senate also plays a part in ruling the country.

Personally I think also the senate election system should be changed and become more proportional, but the interests of the smaller states should be safeguarded.

16 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

You keep on saying that and providing no proof of it. I seriously doubt that people in most other economically advanced nations are jealous  of those who live in the USA. Life is a lot more precarious and a lot more limited in the USA than in those nations. As for those from poor countries, they may well be envious of those in richer nations. But not exclusively or mostly the US.

I seem to recall that in Japan the votes from rice farming regions have significantly more weight than the vote from urban areas, and Malaysian democracy is weighted in a manner to give the votes of Muslim Malaysians greater weight than of the other ethnic and religious groups.  However I don't recall any convincing arguments that these are good for democracy or the countries.

As to "So it would be fair for the large cities and liberal strongholds to rule the country..."  Well yeah, duh.  If that's where the majority of citizens and the bulk of the nation's interests are, why wouldn't that be better?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

No, that is not what he is saying since the senate also plays a part in ruling the country.

Personally I think also the senate election system should be changed and become more proportional, but the interests of the smaller states should be safeguarded.

But basically this system they have now in the US makes it impossible for smaller parties to ever get a grip on the country. As you have to have loads of votes to matter. This system is geared against change. Then again in The Netherlands we got too many small parties. So that can be a problem too. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Which other countries are you thinking of?

Norway, Finland, Switzerland, without having facts in front of me I am sure a bunch others

(for totally different reasons than US and UK (winner takes all and 1  man districts) though)

I think the best you can aim for is a proportional system with a balance geography/popular paced that too many votes are not wasted

so the population is reasonably comfortable with the system

4 minutes ago, katana said:

If Trump ends up winning the election, Biden supporters are going to be turning over in their graves.

You expecting them to succumb to COVID 19?

Edited by RJRS1301

15 hours ago, Sujo said:

Trump is an actor and you believe him.

I don't believe much that comes out of his mouth, but sadly his opponents in the elections are IMO so awful that I'd rather have lying Trump as POTUS than HRC or Biden. Seems several million voters are of the same opinion.

No doubt in my mind they'd rather have had a better candidate, but only had a realistic choice of two, bad or worse, IMO.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

5 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Sad state of affairs when someone is OK with a lying and cheating president. One who divides the nation, fuels racism and bigotry, etc.  My how far we've fallen.

Biden is not perfect, but light years ahead of Trump in terms of trust, honesty and knowledge of how the government should work.  Trump proved an outsider can't cut it.  Kinda like when the Clintons came to power. 

I never said I was OK with it. I have said that IMO Biden is worse. That's my opinion, that Biden is so bad that Trump is a better choice, despite his faults.

• Sad 2