Afghan migrant: I thought France was humane until police beat me

webfact

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

All colonial powers acted with brutality, that doesn't make it right, it's just the way it was, it would be unfair to single out the French without mentioning the 'humane' treatment that the British applied within its empire.

I wasn’t singling out the French. The Brits also raped, tortured, murdered, whipped, stole, abused woman and children etc. etc. Terrible.

But the subject here is the French. I did a tour of the Hanoi old French jail now a museum. Abhorrent stuff.

If Afghani Khademi had of seen it I reckon he would have chosen another country.

33 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

I wasn’t singling out the French. The Brits also raped, tortured, murdered, whipped, stole, abused woman and children etc. etc. Terrible.

But the subject here is the French. I did a tour of the Hanoi old French jail now a museum. Abhorrent stuff.

If Afghani Khademi had of seen it I reckon he would have chosen another country.

And that was mild compared to the atrocities they committed in Algeria.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This guy is disingenuous, putting on an act; maybe he thinks he'll get a clip on the BBC. The French police and  other forces have always been notoriously brutal, everyone in the world knows it and I've seen it first hand. And there are differences; the Italian police, with some exceptions, really do treat migrants with kid gloves.

1 minute ago, Opl said:

and if they started with drastically controlling their demography and developing their economy, they'd be better off than having their youth running to the West   

I could not really care less about their economy or their demography- although i presume its not easy to get going when their is war blazing.... As far as I am concerned we (Europe) should stay out of their affairs- and then we would be better positioned morally to turn away illegal immigrants.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Oh come on...  you still can be reconciled to someone who beat you rather than someone who beheaded another person. 

And i don't think that you are better human than that police who beat you ! Otherwise you wouldn't have been standing there and raise your voice for nothing !

Edited by alianware
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

In his position it would have been better to be discreet, he entered France illegally and then openly protests his living conditions. France, like the UK have seen a large influx of illegal immigrants and I can imagine that this is a frustrating situation for the police who are on the sharp end of law enforcement. There has to be political a response to this problem which can only come from the EU and therein lies the problem. It has become a moral and philosophical problem with each country looking back to their own experiences of repression whether these experiences are derived from Nazi oppression or communist oppression, sympathy and understanding of the plight of the refugees is blocking a coherent political solution.

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

In his position it would have been better to be discreet, he entered France illegally and then openly protests his living conditions. France, like the UK have seen a large influx of illegal immigrants and I can imagine that this is a frustrating situation for the police who are on the sharp end of law enforcement. There has to be political a response to this problem which can only come from the EU and therein lies the problem. It has become a moral and philosophical problem with each country looking back to their own experiences of repression whether these experiences are derived from Nazi oppression or communist oppression, sympathy and understanding of the plight of the refugees is blocking a coherent political solution.

Your post confuses illegal immigrants with refugees.

How we treat other human beings is always a material of morality.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Your post confuses illegal immigrants with refugees.

How we treat other human beings is always a material of morality.

These days there is only a fine line between illegal immigrants fleeing poverty and refugees fleeing oppression, both have their merits and deserve sympathy but there is a political dimension to both.

If scientists are to be believed then the global warming in the future will unleash a tsunami of people fleeing not only high sea levels destroying living areas, wars, oppression and hunger but also unbearable heat. Northern Europe will be the first port of call and Europe is already an overloaded boat. Due to the lopsided demographics there will be the desire and necessity to take in an increasing number of educated young people to keep our systems working but there are limits requiring painful pragmatic decisions, limited resources and a tidal wave of immigrants are a recipe for disaster, bold (brutal even) decisions will have to be taken if anarchy in our own countries is to be avoided and it would be better lay the framework now (I'm certain that is secretly the case already) rather than ad hoc in the future.

• Like 2