Venting! - Sorry

Technically, your immigration status was "under consideration".

If you were dealing with the finance company, it was still their car, not yours.

Get in touch with the potential buyer once your 1-year extension has been issued. Maybe they didn't want to leave a deposit tied up but maybe they didn't find another vehicle either.

I agree, Thai bureaucracy can be really frustrating.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I finance my car with TLT (Toyota). Been their customer and this brand's customer since 2003.

Had a buyer lined up to buy my truck. All ok. They were going to finance the balance and pay me the equity. Big bundle of cash on the table. All smiles.

Not venting that I had to give 3 copies of my entire passport, 3 copies of my work permit and  underwear size.

Venting because, TLT refused to start the paperwork because my visa expires Dec 25. Never mind that it is the preliminary visa where the migra wait 30 days before they stamp the other 11 months.

Talking with the finance guy was fruitless and I was just getting angrier, but did not show it. My lovely poor wife had to translate. 

Here is the kicker: My paperwork was OK TO BUY A NEW CAR, not to sell it. Arai wa? I told the guy that I can buy a car with a visa that expires in 25 days and drive it to Burma, but I cannot sell the car?

No use. TLT got up and walked away. The buyers got scared and did not want to leave a deposit to hold the sale next month. Sigh. 

What on earth could the validity date of your visa have to do with you selling  your car? Did they give you an explanation about this? Are they now immigration officers all of a sudden?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, oompie69 said:

What on earth could the validity date of your visa have to do with you selling  your car? Did they give you an explanation about this? Are they now immigration officers all of a sudden?

TLT policy, apparently. But, should have bought a car, installed a gps spoof and showed I was in Laos!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Thanks for knowing everything about our marriage. She has been a homemaker and a fabulous one for 18 years. No legal income. Thanks for the suggestion!

Apologies for the harsh reply in a rush ???? in my experience in Thailand vehicles whatever in my wife's just makes life easier to change things. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, oompie69 said:

TLT refused to start the paperwork because my visa expires Dec 25.

So he thought you were leaving never to return and they can simply repossess

the vehicle. "It's just business"

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well TIT in your situation if you had been trusting enough to have the truck in your wife's name you would not of had a problem, som nom na.

There have been countless fellows who took your advice and ended up with no wife AND no car.

I was once told by the bank the reason for my fixed account Credit Card application  denial was because my retirement extension was due to expire in 6 weeks.     They didn't care that i explained i could do nothing about that.     Had to wait until extension was done.

Edited by Andy from Kent

7 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

There have been countless fellows who took your advice and ended up with no wife AND no car.

I was once told by the bank the reason for my fixed account Credit Card application  denial was because my retirement extension was due to expire in 6 weeks.     They didn't care that i explained i could do nothing about that.     Had to wait until extension was done.

Well at least in Thailand if you're legally married you get 50% try getting that in western countries with kids involved. ????

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 6:21 PM, NanLaew said:

Technically, your immigration status was "under consideration".

If you were dealing with the finance company, it was still their car, not yours.

Get in touch with the potential buyer once your 1-year extension has been issued. Maybe they didn't want to leave a deposit tied up but maybe they didn't find another vehicle either.

I agree, Thai bureaucracy can be really frustrating.

Frustrating is an understatement.

I went into True to try and set up a direct debit to pay for my internet. They demanded to see my work permit.

I dont have a work permit I'm retired. Pointed out my retirement visa stamp in my passport.

No good. Must have work permit.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I can appreciate your frustration, if you haven't already cut ties with TLT (Toyota), I would suggest you do, in the interim while your waiting for your stamp on your passport, try selling your truck, to either someone new or the old buyer if they are still around, and if they want to go through TLT up to them, but you should steer clear of TLT when purchasing a new car, their loss and when you do buy a new car take it around to the guy you were dealing with and show him the smile on your face.

Funny you mentioned that. We called a friend of a friend at immigration. He was livid. He will use this case as an example and tell the finance company the difference between a tourist, Non O and Non B. Apparently, he has seen lots of cases like this.

Meeting at 10 today and he will call the guy and kick his rear. (Not that it will help, as it is company policy).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

So he thought you were leaving never to return and they can simply repossess

the vehicle. "It's just business"

WP expires August 2021. He knows the visa was under consideration for 11 more months duly stamped on xmas day. 

In theory, if I had left the country, the car would still be in Thailand and the buyer continues with financing. Now that is an idea; a new customer for the finance company!

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Apologies for the harsh reply in a rush ???? in my experience in Thailand vehicles whatever in my wife's just makes life easier to change things. 

5555555, is your underwear also in her name???? Not harsh, just funny. :cheesy:????????????:cheesy:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

5555555, is your underwear also in her name???? Not harsh, just funny. :cheesy:????????????:cheesy:

????  I only wear boxer shorts in bed and my wife is one that bought them so I guess she owns them too. ????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2020 at 11:11 PM, Somtamnication said:

Talking with the finance guy was fruitless

Perhaps he had to go by the guidelines he was given. Sometimes things just don't have to make sense to us guys in the real world.

eg. Why is it a photo with blue background one year and white background next or blue pen one year and black the next for immigration?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Don't be sorry! Perfectly par-for-the-asinine-Thai-course. Just ONE of a million frustrating stories which sum up how LOS (land of stupid, silly, scams, snarls, snark, swindles) functions. In my 25+ years...just another instance, in another day, in BizzarO-topia. ????

You just gotta LOL...and vent! 

Just part of the rich fabric of Thai life where some of would rather live, in preference to countries where such things never happen. TiT.

• Like 1