Scotland's Sturgeon hints at legal move if independence vote blocked

snoop1130

Just now, vogie said:

So what are your thoughts if Scotland had won the independence referendum in 2014, they would have been forced to leave the EU would they not? Would you still be blaming England for Scotlands departure?

It is unlikely that Scotland would have been forced to leave the EU as they were already a member of the EU already (Scottish citizens were EU citizens regardless) - it was just regional division of a state within the EU.   The EU would have likely had a transitional period to which the EU and an independent Scotland would negotiate on a final status within the EU.  The scare tactics (project fear) is often though the route that Nations take when confronted with such an issue (it works in the short-term but can be problematic in the long term).   UK traffics in fear with regards to Scotland vs Scottish Nationalists are selling a dream...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

It is unlikely that Scotland would have been forced to leave the EU as they were already a member of the EU already (Scottish citizens were EU citizens regardless) - it was just regional division of a state within the EU.   The EU would have likely had a transitional period to which the EU and an independent Scotland would negotiate on a final status within the EU.  The scare tactics (project fear) is often though the route that Nations take when confronted with such an issue (it works in the short-term but can be problematic in the long term).   UK traffics in fear with regards to Scotland vs Scottish Nationalists are selling a dream...

Scotland was not a member, the UK was the member, and as such Scotland would have to have left. Are you saying that Scotland would not have had to meet any of the EUs criteria for rejoining?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

EU made a statement

Independent Scotland would have to reapply to EU, NATO, officials say

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Scotland would have to reapply for membership of both the European Union and NATO if Scots vote to leave the United Kingdom in a referendum this month, officials said on Monday.

“If part of the territory of a member state would cease to be part of that state because it were to become a new independent state, the (EU) treaties would no longer apply to that territory,” Barroso said, meaning an independent Scotland would no longer be part of the EU.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-scotland-independence-eu-idUKKBN0H31FK20140908

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

EU made a statement

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Scotland would have to reapply for membership of both the European Union and NATO if Scots vote to leave the United Kingdom in a referendum this month, officials said on Monday.

“If part of the territory of a member state would cease to be part of that state because it were to become a new independent state, the (EU) treaties would no longer apply to that territory,” Barroso said, meaning an independent Scotland would no longer be part of the EU.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-scotland-independence-eu-idUKKBN0H31FK20140908

Right so your project fear was successful and Scotland voted to remain.

However you then dragged us out of the EU anyway.

You broke the deal. You were warned but you went ahead anyway.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

If Scotland had voted to leave the UK, there would have to be a transitional period (not too dissimilar to the UK leaving the EU)... during that period Scotland would have been part of the EU and UK, and during that transitional period (of a few years) - there would be sufficient time to to 'reapply' and complete the process.

Scotland would already have pretty much all the criteria (more so than many of the new countries that have been admitted in recent times) which would include things like a free-market economy, a stable democracy and the rule of law, and the acceptance of all EU legislation, including of the euro.  The EU president would not give any other statement before independence was confirmed by a referendum and the UK had officially accepted the results - as doing so would be interfering in internal politics. 

In the end though Scotland would have remained a member of the EU after a transitional period (which would be in the interest of all parties concerned). 

You have a link to all your assertions please?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I made a statement on what I believe will be the likely outcome of any vote for independence, and now you want a link to my belief... you just read it... you have a very short memory ????

Either way, if enough of the population voted to remain in the UK solely because of the campaign of fear about being forced out of the EU... and now the UK is pulling out of the EU taking Scotland with them... then the referendum results are no longer valid. 

I think sometime we are better at sticking to definitive replies than speculating as it just causes confusion. 

But can't you see that Scotland in 2014 voted to leave the UK and it would have meant leaving the EU as well, so with that in mind they didn't seem to care about the rest of the UK then did they, did your sympathies lie with the rest of the UK then, I very much doubt it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

EU made a statement

Of course Scotland would have to apply to join the EU, never been any doubt on that.

Applications to join the EU are involved and quite protracted, mainly because new applicants are required to bring their infrastructure up to EU standards.

If Scotland's infrastructure needs bringing up to EU standard then the application could take some time, otherwise it is as likely to take as long as every other country that has rejoined the EU.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The decision taken in 2014 was the right one for Scotland, Alex Salmond produced a 650 page white paper but it had more holes than a bar of aero.

Much has changed since 2014 and the people of Scotland have the right to study a new plan, reassess the situation and take another decision.

The problem with brexiteers is there was no plan, so a bit of an alien concept to them.

Are you blaming England for Alex Salmond lying to you know, unbelievable.????????????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

But we never left. The situation remains at it was, in respect to the integrity of the union other than the subsequent imposition of EVEL. 

However there has been a material change in circumstances which has galvanised public support and demonstrated, clearly, that the countries of the UK are not aligned; that significant parts of it are unhappy at how the UK is managed, and how the will of the larger partner is imposed on the others without consideration. 

That dissatisfaction was made clear in 2015 when the SNP almost swept the board at the GE. Their support has continued to grow and nothing has changed in terms of Westminster governance despite the promises illegally made during the referendum (illegal in that they breached purdah). 

So what do you suggest should happen? Should Westminster continue apace and ignore the anger felt by the majority of Scots? 

Should all the people that voted to remain  form their own Country and rejoin the E.U.?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

We already have a majority in my country so we have already overcome the regional hurdle; any remainer from elsewhere in the Union who wishes to move north would, I am sure, be made more than welcome. 

Thinking that you have a majority and catagorically saying that you have a majority are two different things, stop deluding yourself RR.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I wish my knowledge of common fallacies was better such that I could name the one you are falling for.

Essentially what you seem to be saying is that a vote 6 years ago returned X. Even although many polls since indicated that Y is the majority view, as there has been no formal rerun of the vote, X must still be considered to be the only valid result. And therefore the vote should not be rerun because there is not formal indication of anything to the contrary. Is that a reasonable explanation?

Correctomundo, I am saying a vote returned 6 years ago proved that the Scots wanted to remain, you are saying "polls" prove that I am wrong, tell me you are not serious RR. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Yes, that's what I am saying. If you don't trust statistical polling, you are essentially saying that you don't trust mathematics. One swallow doesn't make a summer, but a whole flock of them should have you check the calendar. 

I don't trust any polling, maybe you wouldn't unless they are telling you what you want to hear, you might as well toss a coin up untill it lands on the side you have chosen.

Here is the poll of the 2016 EU referendum, pretty close but totally wrong.

Screenshot_2020-12-06-20-24-07-390.thumb.jpeg.f7f96dd9c65b6ea0910bf54987ba1688.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

I don't trust any polling, maybe you wouldn't unless they are telling you what you want to hear, you might as well toss a coin up untill it lands on the side you have chosen.

Here is the poll of the 2016 EU referendum, pretty close but totally wrong.

Screenshot_2020-12-06-20-24-07-390.thumb.jpeg.f7f96dd9c65b6ea0910bf54987ba1688.jpeg

And the 6% who were not captured in that poll as, at that point, they were undecided, eventually weighed everything up and decided that they wanted £350 million a week extra for the NHS. I would imagine whoever conducted that poll would be quite proud of its accuracy.

Edited by RuamRudy

Now that Flip flop Johnson has caved in to the EU, does this mean that the UK Internal Market Bill will be scrapped, seeing as we no longer have a level playing field across the UK? 

I wonder how Arlene and her terrorist friends and confidants are feeling today.