The Five Most Annoying Things Golfers Do on The Course

ASEAN NOW Golf

The Five Most Annoying Things Golfers Do on The Course

ggg-1.jpg

Would you think you are a good playing partner?

We all have come across golfers who often, unbeknown to themselves, can be a real pain when playing in a fourball.

Here we have listed a few bad habits, which I am sure often occur, and we just turn a blind eye.

1. Making Every Putt

Of course, no one is going to hate you for making putts. But it is worth noting that if you are dropping bombs on the green and winning your match because of it, don’t go overboard with the gloating, because then people will start hating you for making putts.

2. Not picking up on bad holes

Have some awareness. If it is taking you eight shots to get to the green, do not slow the whole group down and make them watch all that. Pick up your ball, sit this one out, and move on.

3. Always on the phone

Nothing is more discourtesies than always taking calls on your mobile. If you need to take a call on the course, it had better be an emergency.

mobile phones.jpg

4. Talking when people are getting ready to hit

It all rolls up into one thing: Be considerate of others.

5. ‘Miraculously’ finding your ball every time

Cheating, in other words. Do not cheat.

I am sure you have other peeves, so please feel free to add your observations to our list.

Way back when...when I went golfing a few times on real courses (other than the usual chip and putt) it drove me crazy that my friends, who were much better golfers than I was (I admit it...I suck) actually wanted me to keep score and would get upset when I would tell them that I had no idea how many strokes it took me for any particular hole.  I mean...really...they were killing me...does it really matter if they were beating me by 3 or 4 (or more) strokes per hole?

Thankfully, there were no golfers behind us so I wasn’t slowing anybody else down.

1/ Players who take a dozen practice swings before they play. No wonder you hit a bad shot, you're exhausted before you even start.

2/ Caddies and players who leave clubs/buggies at the front of the green while putting out. Speeds up play if they go to the back of the green BEFORE you putt out.

3/ Talkers. I always ask if my golf is interrupting their conversation.

4/ Standing behind me or in front of me in my line of sight. Your correct position is at 90 degrees behind me or facing me, 5 metres away.

5/ Golfers off 18 handicaps who think they are qualified to give golf instruction to others. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

6/ Lack of variety. Everything in Thailand is two-speed, it's either stroke or Stableford. Boring. I'm waiting for an event organiser that has the imagination to have events such as handicap match play, par, bisque bogey, bisque Stableford, foursomes or Canadian foursomes. Or 3 clubs and a putter.

End of rant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Slow play especially by lousy golfers.

I played this morning early with a buddy in a little over 2 hours very enjoyable.

If 18 holes that's less than 7 minutes a hole in total so presume in carts and you must both have been very straight........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

2/ Caddies and players who leave clubs/buggies at the front of the green while putting out. Speeds up play if they go to the back of the green BEFORE you putt out.

Conversely can also slow it down if you are standing on the green/fringe waiting for your putter/chipping club......

Seen it happen regularly especially with players with carts.

1 minute ago, topt said:

If 18 holes that's less than 7 minutes a hole in total so presume in carts and you must both have been very straight........

I've walked 18 holes in one hour fifty minutes, as a two, and it was not a short course. Was much younger then, both of us off single figures.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topt said:

Conversely can also slow it down if you are standing on the green/fringe waiting for your putter/chipping club......

Seen it happen regularly especially with players with carts.

I've had a couple of regular caddies here, first thing I trained them in is keeping up with me. Second was getting clubs to the back of the green before putting out.

I agree carts are a bit of a pain, due to age I have to use one for 18 holes. Still walk 9.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mr mr said:

what handicap do you consider lousy ? 

Slow play is not necessarily handicap-related, I've played with scratch markers who were a PITA in terms of speed.

Anyone who has a handicap has achieved something in my book. I've never concerned myself with the skill or lack thereof of other players, just whether they have a reasonable grasp of golf etiquette. Which in Thailand sometimes goes missing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Slow play is not necessarily handicap-related, I've played with scratch markers who were a PITA in terms of speed.

Anyone who has a handicap has achieved something in my book. I've never concerned myself with the skill or lack thereof of other players, just whether they have a reasonable grasp of golf etiquette. Which in Thailand sometimes goes missing.

True, high handicappers are sometimes better to play with. The ones i dont like is when they wait for you to putt then decide they will take 5 mins reading the green and getting ready, it also pertains to all shots.

just be ready when its your turn. Dont wait until its your turn  to start thinking about it.

carts only on paths also slows everything down. In malaysia we must take carts, i take clubs with me for that and next shot and just tell the caddy to drive herself. I walk, unless its up a mountain.

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I didn't know either ... and I'm pretty lazy ...but it took me less than 10seconds to find out ......

i am canadian and have golfed for 30 years....never until today had i heard that term. after looking it up i knew it as better ball. thanks for your peppy remark though. 

2 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

For me it's this obsession with handicaps.  "What do you play off of?"   I play off the white tees.  Lets go play.

So you would play whites whatever the yardage and whatever the weather? Unless you know the course pretty well I would suggest it is always worthwhile checking the scorecard yardages.

Around Pattaya I know courses where there is a 600 yard difference between the white tee yardages and one where whites is the equivalent of yellows as it is the most forward mens tee.......

Choosing the right tee/yardage can make a difference to speed of play.

Edited by topt

4 hours ago, topt said:

So you would play whites whatever the yardage and whatever the weather? Unless you know the course pretty well I would suggest it is always worthwhile checking the scorecard yardages.

Around Pattaya I know courses where there is a 600 yard difference between the white tee yardages and one where whites is the equivalent of yellows as it is the most forward mens tee.......

Choosing the right tee/yardage can make a difference to speed of play.

Due to my age, I play off the reds. No enjoyment in hitting 3-woods all day for my second and third shot.

Really kills me when high handicappers play off the blues or blacks, rhymes with anchors.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Due to my age, I play off the reds. No enjoyment in hitting 3-woods all day for my second and third shot.

Really kills me when high handicappers play off the blues or blacks, rhymes with anchors.

Once I reached my mid-60s, I'd also play off the reds, irons only; usually a "4" iron off the tee.  My game improved markedly.  No long excursions into the woods or tall grass searching for wayward tee-shots. 

On 12/1/2020 at 12:32 PM, Lacessit said:

3/ Talkers. I always ask if my golf is interrupting their conversation.

I did threaten to beat to death a guy if he spoke again....we were only on the third hole.....so it was a very long, very silent game.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

I did threaten to beat to death a guy if he spoke again....we were only on the third hole.....so it was a very long, very silent game.

I'd suggest using a club you are not particularly fond of.

5 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

The golfers who hit their drive 200+ yards, who then walk in front of the golfer who only hit their drive 175 yrds (every hole).

Agree, it's normal etiquette to wait at the same distance as the shorter hitter until they have played their second.

Coming from somewhere that is quite hot on poor etiquette, if I had 100 baht for every time I've seen an etiquette breach here, I'd be driving a new Beemer. I don't think it's deliberate, they simply don't know.