Teach English With criminal Record (drink driving)

Jamiehex

Hello, so I’m from the Uk and really want to teach English in Thailand as my girlfriend is from there I met in university. I have found loads of misleading information online and I really really need to know what my circumstances are.

about 3 years ago I was arrested for drink driving, it was a very inconvenient situation and I’m not proud, I just want to know if anybody has any advice or info on what I’m to expect or the best way for me to get a teaching job with these circumstances. 

if someone can help me I would really appreciate it !!!

Edited by Jamiehex

If it is on your record, it will show up on your police clearance and that would most likely mean you wouldn't get a Teacher's License.   There maybe options that allow you to teach without a license, such as a language school, however.

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

If it is on your record, it will show up on your police clearance and that would most likely mean you wouldn't get a Teacher's License.   There maybe options that allow you to teach without a license, such as a language school, however.

Why is it a criminal record it is just DUI ? Well never mind I never had a ticked since i got my license 

since I was 18, now I am 73

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

I don’t actually think it is a criminal offence, so I don’t actually think it would be on a criminal clearance record. I think it is a civil offence, like speeding. The only thing you can do is try.

With few exceptions, driving under the influence (DUI) is considered a criminal offense. In other words, a DUI conviction will normally show up on your criminal record as a misdemeanor or felony.

I have not run into it often in getting a police clearance, but when I have they have always shown up as a criminal offense.  In some countries, the record can be expunged if enough time has elapsed.  

If off topic please remove,if a person is from the uk you should google up the criminal rehabilitation act after certain periods of time you do not have to declare certain offences after time limits for some subjects such as obtaining insurance or a job appication but if you,re applying for a visa to the usa you must declare them,this advice is only a guide and would advise anyone to check it out yourself.

• Like 1

Drunk Driving, on its own, in the UK, becomes spent 5 years after conviction and will not show on UK CRB check.

It will be filtered out.

Wait 2 years and your CRB check will show you clear.

Things that do not get filtered out:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-list-of-offences-that-will-never-be-filtered-from-a-criminal-record-check

Waiting two years is long haha, we’ll it’s actually September 2023 when it’s been five years, I was already aware it becomes spent after 5 years. Really what I’m trying to learn is if it would get excuses or if some schools in Thailand need my background check 

For those already in country, you will get a clearance here, and it won't show.  In the US, if you were fi gerprinted, it is going to follow you around.  As far as getting a long stay visa at Kalorama, they differentiated between being arrested and actually serving time.  The latter being far more serious. 

Edited by moontang

You are currently looking at it costing you three months gross pay just to get in... Plus TEFL, if necessary.  And it would be unlikely you would be working legally.  Wait for much more normal times.. It is bad enough, then.  The demand is there, and won't be going away.. And don't get me started on the white face issue for the proud parents. Let me just add something about minor crime issues... The more demand for teachers, the less it matters.  Now, back in 2009, in Arizona, for the first time in decades, they were disqualifying candidates for anything they could.  Economy was in the tank, school budgets were slashed to the bone.. except for administrator pay, of course. This crisis is quite a bit different, in that C19 has increased demand, meanwhile the labor pool has shrunk.   I also heard of recent graduates cleverly thinking an expungement was the answer to getting misdemeanors off their records.  Was costing them about 4000 USD.  They later found out that the expungement created more of a red flag than their arrest for stealing a candy bar or underage drinking. 

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

After several rounds with the Chinese liars, err I mean recruiters, I became wary of the phone interviews.  It's like they were doing it to practice English with you, and killing time in their offices. Almost everyone will pass the interview.  The surprise will come, when they offer you a contract that is more lopsided than a firing squad.  They will also expect you to pay for everything out of your pocket.  Gimmicks like end of contract bonuses only indicate they will have more reasons to get rid of you, and find another person with a pulse, desperate to stay in LOS.  There are no respectable companies on this planet that don't help with expenses and making sure you are legal. Avoid the recruiters, at all cost. 

1 hour ago, moontang said:

After several rounds with the Chinese liars, err I mean recruiters, I became wary of the phone interviews.  It's like they were doing it to practice English with you, and killing time in their offices. Almost everyone will pass the interview.  The surprise will come, when they offer you a contract that is more lopsided than a firing squad.  They will also expect you to pay for everything out of your pocket.  Gimmicks like end of contract bonuses only indicate they will have more reasons to get rid of you, and find another person with a pulse, desperate to stay in LOS.  There are no respectable companies on this planet that don't help with expenses and making sure you are legal. Avoid the recruiters, at all cost. 

Yeh I just got off the phone to a recruiter, plus they want my background check so it doesn’t really help me at all as they want a basic DBS it’s so annoying that it takes 5 years for it to disappear I feel like it should go once my ban had finished. It’s not even like I can contact anyone to try and get stepped down I’ve searched everywhere.

What about seeking out digital nomad type income  sources or opportunities.  You might be painting yourself in a corner by being so determined to do something that makes your life harder than it has to be.  What other qualifications do you have? If you can teach you can translate. If you have a decent knowledge of grammar , you can edit/ proofread documents.  etc...

On 12/1/2020 at 11:32 AM, Jamiehex said:

about 3 years ago I was arrested for drink driving, it was a very inconvenient situation and I’m not proud,

As you are seeking advise, I have two pieces for you.  First, improve your English.  Second, check with the Thai Embassy.  As they issue the visa, they are able to provide the best answer and give full information.

'nuf sed.

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, Enoon said:

Drunk Driving, on its own, in the UK, becomes spent 5 years after conviction and will not show on UK CRB check.

It will be filtered out.

Wait 2 years and your CRB check will show you clear.

Things that do not get filtered out:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-list-of-offences-that-will-never-be-filtered-from-a-criminal-record-check

I,ve had to supply a crb and all convictions spent or not are listed on it.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:32 PM, Jamiehex said:

Hello, so I’m from the Uk and really want to teach English in Thailand as my girlfriend is from there I met in university. I have found loads of misleading information online and I really really need to know what my circumstances are.

about 3 years ago I was arrested for drink driving, it was a very inconvenient situation and I’m not proud, I just want to know if anybody has any advice or info on what I’m to expect or the best way for me to get a teaching job with these circumstances. 

if someone can help me I would really appreciate it !!!

honest question. is english your first language ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

First, teach out in the countryside provinces. They’ll just want to get you hired and working and won’t ask for much of anything. As mentioned, the demand for “white faces” is high out there, since many don’t stay out there too long. Expect to work alongside many Africans and Filipinos to give you the full multicultural experience. Seriously, they’re fun to party with.

I’ve known of teachers with lower than BA degrees who were allowed to work, and somehow received full documentation. Background checks never came up. Problem is, expect low salaries, 30-35k.

After a bit of this, when you’re ready to move up, then consider lower tier intl or private schools nearer BKK. These will ask for a police report, but only inside Thailand, from the Royal Thai Police. Surely you didn’t party too much.

Finally, when you’re ready for a decent, higher tier intl school, this is when they’ll begin asking for home country background checks. This is from personal and my colleagues’ experience. Technically yes, a home country background is on the khurusapha’s (teacher council’s) list of requirements for all teaching licenses, for all schools. But from what I’ve heard, it is rarely asked for.

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Drunkards and sexpats have been teaching in Thailand forever and it shows. Thank you for your contribution. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1193847-thailand-falls-in-global-english-proficiency-index-for-fourth-consecutive-year/

And foreign teachers make up what percentage of the faculty across Thailand? Perhaps less than 5%? And I’d like to think that an even smaller percentage of these are drunkards and sexpats. Most of those I’ve worked with have been outstanding people, admirably able to get through the turmoil that is teaching in Thailand.

And whose fault is that turmoil? The chaotic classrooms? Teachers who don’t even come to the classrooms? Students who are passed regardless? It’s certainly no farang doing all that. It’s their proud national pastime, which I don’t see changing any time soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Stay there, I'd rather not have someone as irresponsible as you teaching my children.. Drunk driving! Shame on you! With so many public transport services available there is no excuse for your actions.. ????

correction. he stated he was convicted of drink driving. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Stay there, I'd rather not have someone as irresponsible as you teaching my children.. Drunk driving! Shame on you! With so many public transport services available there is no excuse for your actions.. ????

What about being an alcoholic? Alcoholism is a disease, not a moral failing.