New: BOI smart visa - freelancer category.

Some good news for all remote workers & digital nomads!

A while back there were a few people asking about long term options for those who work remotely / digital nomads. Although a release date still has not been announced, I have been assured that it will be soon.

Here is a link to the full paper with more details.

http://www.jfcct.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/1871/2020/10/Smart-Visa-Freelancers-v-3.5-21-October-2020.pdf?nocdn

Happy reading!

I like the idea and addition of this category.

It seems the people who run JFCCT domain need some of these freelancers.  As its almost 2021 and they do not have a proper SSL Cert for HTTPS site.

With free options like LetsEncrypt and CloudFlare as a front, makes no sense to not see this everywhere.

This is interesting.  One of the reasons I have not moved to Thailand is I could certainly do a lot of work remotely, but there would be no doubt I was working. Shipping or receiving documents and setting up or renting a small office space doesn't look like retirement.

Looks like this is continuing to slowly move forward, I have been waiting for precisely this.

I had some discussions with the SMART visa team, had told me last month to wait some more time as it is moving forward. My feeling is that the protests has delayed the proposals reaching the parliament for approval

A further update:

Prayut Chan -o-cha approved this visa type 'in principle' on October the 7th. The financial requirement is only 50,000 Baht per month for the freelancer visa. I am not allowed to paste a link here, but if you look at today's Bangkok Post, you should see the interview with the BOI today. The headline to search for is "BOI spots opportunities amid disruption."

The article notes that this visa type is scheduled to be approved this month, so there may be a chance to get your applications in before the 30th December mark - which is when most COVID extensions will expire.

39 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

A further update:

Prayut Chan -o-cha approved this visa type 'in principle' on October the 7th. The financial requirement is only 50,000 Baht per month for the freelancer visa. I am not allowed to paste a link here, but if you look at today's Bangkok Post, you should see the interview with the BOI today. The headline to search for is "BOI spots opportunities amid disruption."

The article notes that this visa type is scheduled to be approved this month, so there may be a chance to get your applications in before the 30th December mark - which is when most COVID extensions will expire.

Sounds too good, they will somehow find a way to <deleted> this up ????

I don't think it will be ready at the end of this month, but from the article it does indeed sound like it should happen soon.

Is an in-country conversion from a tourist or non-immigrant visa to a smart visa possible?

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Sounds too good, they will somehow find a way to <deleted> this up ????

I don't think it will be ready at the end of this month, but from the article it does indeed sound like it should happen soon.

Is an in-country conversion from a tourist or non-immigrant visa to a smart visa possible?

I saw UbonJoe comment on another thread that all visa types are convertable to SMART visa.

I can't wait... No more dealing with immigration, a 2 year visa with no 90 day reporting requirements, no work permit required - and you can be employed by a Thai company on a freelance basis. I hope they don't mess it up... This looks great!  

Archived