BOI proposes new smart visa rules to lure foreign talent, digital nomads

webfact

2 hours ago, misterjames said:

Same old same old. Lure them in when the economy is down, then make life difficult for them when the economy improves.

Do they think that "smart" people are stupid? Nobody want's to build a life at the whim of people that change the rules every 5 minutes, the rules change like the wind no "smart" people want to build a life on such rocky foundations.

Maybe some young guys do? before they wise up,  the "smart" ones realise the attitude towards foreigners changes pretty fast depending on how much they need our money/ skills at any given time, there is no use in investing time, effort and expertise in a country with zero long term stability or rights, that is a fools game!

What a load of nonsense, there are loads of foreign people earning very good money and having a great life over here for a very long time already. You are the not so smart one as you haven't got a clue about business life here.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sungod said:

Seems they are trying to find a way to get 'digital nomads' working from Thailand to pay tax.

Would assume so. I think everyone would agree that income tax should be paid/withheld/settled.

From the article:

To be eligible, applicants must have an employment contract with a foreign firm lasting at least six months 

Fairly simple for The Revenue Department to request some monthly withholding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thhMan said:

How is a freelancer supposed to get employment contract?

Isnt a freelancer someone who works for themselves?

Before they make rules, they need to make sure they know <deleted> they are talking about!

Guess they know all about that. These smart visa types are in fact all substitutes for the current visa types. 

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Somebody should explain to the BOI what a freelancer is.

Many freelancers have setup their own one-person company. So all they have to do is to show a contract signed with their own company. Brilliant!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The new visa rules would allow small businesses to tap foreign talent by reducing the minimum salary they can offer foreigners from Bt100,000 to Bt50,000. 

I'm confused by those numbers. The minimum salary for foreigners with a "normal" work permit is 50,000 Baht, and AFAIK, the minimum salary for the Smart Visa scheme was/is 200,000 Baht. So where does the 100,000 Baht number come from?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

I mentioned some time ago, perhaps 6 months back that the only way out of this going forward will be for Thailand to change every one of their antiquated foreign travel encouraging (visa runs for limited stay visas) immigration regulations.

That day draws closer and mark my words, it will happen.

Do you think the UK should do the same? 

It's so much easier for UK citizens to stay in Thailand at the moment than it is for Thai citizens to stay in the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I saw how the Chinese teach the young ones in their schools and let me assure you, no softball. The text books used, even if only half used were enough to boggle the the mind. Here, the children who can afford to be taught foreign languages tend to go abroad. Plenty of need for tutors - they pay for the small rental places and buy food. I've had some very good experience using them for languages and math tutoring. It's usually a win-win. 

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Seems they are trying to find a way to get 'digital nomads' working from Thailand to pay tax.

Or they are simply tracking these Digital Nomads by luring them into believing their skills are welcomed. 

Once they apply these people will be flagged in the immigration system as working in Thailand, making it very difficult to re-enter the country on a tourist visa or visa exempt.

The real smart ones will be saying “no thanks”.

• Like 1