Thailand Road Carnage: 75 dead on Tuesday - year total 13,622, December 379 so far

webfact

Thailand Road Carnage: 75 dead on Tuesday - year total 13,622, December 379 so far

10pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News continued with their campaign to highlight the appalling carnage on the Thai roads.

They cautioned that their figures were not yet official. Besides they only refer to deaths at the scene of accidents and don't include those that die on the way to and in hospitals. 

A current DPM has admitted that the death toll is in excess of 20,000 a year and some activists put it as high as 24,000 to 26,000 per annum. 

On Tuesday 75 were reported dead. Tuesday is often higher than other days as some jurisdictions finally report those that happened at the weekend on this day, notes Thaivisa.

10pm1.jpg

So far this year 13,622 have died at the scene. 

By comparison, in 2018 13,956 died and in 2019 the figure was 14,907.

So far with just eight days of December gone the death toll is at 379.

10pm2.jpg

As part of their campaign Daily News warned motorcyclists to beware of U-turns at night.

They featured the death of one rider under the green line extension BTS near Phaholyothin Soi 61 in Bangkok. 

Bits of the fender of a white car were found at the scene. Witnesses said they saw a white car fleeing the accident.

Police are studying CCTV. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-10

• Sad 1

Crazy figures; my experience is that it's still fairly safe during the day, if you're in your own sturdy pick-up; venture out at night, and you're taking your life into your own hands. As for motorbikes, don't even go there, unless you have a death wish. I use them for local journeys, in my relatively quiet area, and that's it. And remember, statistics are one thing, but each death is an individual tragedy - that guy/gal had a mother/sisters/ brothers/children, an SO, maybe he/she was the breadwinner for a family. As a Farang, my main concern isn't death, what will I care if I'm dead, burn me and send the ashes home, or stick them in the local wat, but medical costs, aye, there's the rub.

Edited by nausea
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Road Deaths 13,622, Covid 60.

Seems they closed the country for the wrong reason.

Well said however it is more like 40,000 deaths a year and not 13,622. It really puts Covid into prospective and the over reaction of the Thai government.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Surelynot said:

UK 1,800.........If only Thailand had a leadership that even cared......... just a tiny little bit.....

uK 1,800 + 65,000 covid = 66,800
vs 

Thai 60+  13,622 = 13,682
Big difference.

If only Boris hasn’t have gone around shaking hands with everyone in the covid ward. 

Similar population. 

More likely to die of covid in England than on the roads in Thailand.

Edited by Natai Beach
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, gunderhill said:

Lets  give it even more perspective 10  years  of  roadkill for Thailand  must be around 240k absolute   minimum, and Covid  deaths in the last 10  years 65k for the UK, way  more likely to die in Thailand

Let’s.

So more people have died in the USA this year from covid than all of Thailand’s road deaths for the decade. . 

Strange comparison you use. Really clutching at straws. How about this one. More people died of covid this morning in the UK from covid than on Thai roads for the whole of the 16th century. 

I think it is fair to say that the road deaths in Thailand are a big problem, but covid deaths in the US, in the UK, in France, Mexico, Italy, Iran, Spain and Russia are a much bigger problem.

9 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Let’s.

So more people have died in the USA this year from covid than all of Thailand’s road deaths for the decade. . 

Strange comparison you use. Really clutching at straws. How about this one. More people died of covid this morning in the UK from covid than on Thai roads for the whole of the 16th century. 

I think it is fair to say that the road deaths in Thailand are a big problem, but covid deaths in the US, in the UK, in France, Mexico, Italy, Iran, Spain and Russia are a much bigger problem.

I  think your'e  doing the  clutching, mentioning America (which wasn't )when the first person compared it to the  UK only, which I stuck to in my  reply....now you drag America and the rest of the world into it. which wasn't what the other  poster compared it to.

You've  gone from comparing 2  countries statistics to almost half of the world.

The  Uk and Thailand have similar populations whereas including America  UK  France  Russia etc have vastly  higher compared to  Thailand.

So when we add  into that how  Covid  is  likely to be in another 10  years and  how  Thai roadkill is  most  likely to be in another 10  years there  will be a  clear  winner in Thai road  deaths when compared (as it  was) to the UK.

Covid  will most likely  be short  lived , Thai road  deaths , well.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

I  think your'e  doing the  clutching, mentioning America (which wasn't )when the first person compared it to the  UK only, which I stuck to in my  reply....now you drag America and the rest of the world into it. which wasn't what the other  poster compared it to.

You've  gone from comparing 2  countries statistics to almost half of the world.

The  Uk and Thailand have similar populations whereas including America  UK  France  Russia etc have vastly  higher compared to  Thailand.

So when we add  into that how  Covid  is  likely to be in another 10  years and  how  Thai roadkill is  most  likely to be in another 10  years there  will be a  clear  winner in Thai road  deaths when compared (as it  was) to the UK.

Covid  will most likely  be short  lived , Thai road  deaths , well.

20,000 road deaths over the last ten years in the UK. Terrible carnage.

A lot more needs to be done. 

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Deft bit of whataboutery there .. 

The article is about the warzone death toll on the roads .. I see no mention of C V leave alone C V in Englandshire .. 

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

The highway deathfest is a health emergency is it not with over 13,000 chalked off already this year .. and 75 in a day .! some civil wars don't account for that sort of figure .

More people die in the UK daily from drugs (alcohol and tobacco included) and over eating. 
All self inflicted and preventable.

A bigger problem than Thai road deaths. 

So, raise the speed limit to 120. That will help.

Road deaths are not contagious, so stop the false equivalency with COVID-19. Controlling one potential health crisis is a good thing. 

80% are motorbike related. So what can you do? Go back to bicycles? Maybe just turn the clock back one hundred years, when everyone was "happy"?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Care in the community.

Brought to you by the Authorities of Thailand.

Way to go boys. 2021 Could be a bumper year.

• Haha 1

After seeing the motorway from Bangkok to pattaya yesterday i ain't surprised.  In my 90 mins journey i saw 4 wrecks and Tailgaiting by 75% of drivers.  They don't have a clue how to drive correctly and making the Tolls free just brought all the lunatics out.