Moving to Pattaya Soonest Possible After May 1, 2021

In Jan 2019, I started to arrange to move to Pattaya with the wife to follow.  Life took a curve and we had to delay the plan.  Bummer.  Almost two years later, all situations that delayed the previous move have been settled, simplified and productive.

Now, we are more than ready to return to Thailand for a period of 3-6 months first and, then, plan a longer move where we expect to spend nine months out of each year in Thailand.  

Thanks to everyone who assisted previously.  Now, the questions that I have are mind blowing and may not have answers.  Our move would be anytime soon after May 1, 2021 if possible.  

Appreciate any answers that you have.  Thanks.

-   What are the visas available for us?  I am 65 and she is 61.  Money is not an issue but two Elite visas would be expensive.  I have read some about Tourist Visa, STV and I am confused about any others.  Please link any recommended readings for me.

-  Do the quarantine hotels take couples?  I cannot find anything on this.  Would appreciate any links that I need to read.  

-  I am inclined to use an agency and just follow what they tell me.  What are your thoughts and what, if any, agency should I contact.

Not sure of what other questions that I should be asking.  Other than:  How do we get back to Thailand as soon as possible after May 1, 2021?  Thanks.

It is hard to predict what will available in May and what the requirements to enter the country will be.

At this time you can apply for a single entry tourist visa that will allow one 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

A also the special tourist visa (STV) that allows a 90 day entry that can be extended 2 times for 90 days.

The requirements can vary from embassy to embassy. It would help to know which country you will traveling from.

At this time you must apply for a certificate of entry, have a corvid 19 test, fit to fly certificate and a reservation for a ASQ hotel for the 14 day quarantine to apply for it.

I'm certain I have read somewhere that couples can quarantine together.  Also if the wife is Thai I wouldn't bother using an agent, I take mine with me and she does all the 'negotiating'. 

7 minutes ago, George36 said:

We will be traveling from the San Diego, Ca, United States and right now would expect to be vaccinated before May 2021.

We would be using the Los Angelas Thai consulate.  

It is unknown when anything will change for entries to the country if vaccinated. IMO it will not happened until mid 2021 at the earliest.

At this time you would have apply for a certificate of entry online. It goes to the embassy in DC first and the will forward it to the LA consulate,

Most of the info you need is here on the embassy website. https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

Many of the links on the LA consulate website take you to the embassy website.

11 minutes ago, DaLa said:

I'm certain I have read somewhere that couples can quarantine together.  Also if the wife is Thai I wouldn't bother using an agent, I take mine with me and she does all the 'negotiating'. 

Wife is American.  Thanks for thought.

OP, your best option would be for both of you to obtain a SETV.

When your in Thailand you can obtain a non o based on retirement. Your wife could do the same or option based on being your wife.

You should not consider PE (elite) as waste of money at your age (imo).

As others posted you can quarantine together.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, your best option would be for both of you to obtain a SETV.

When your in Thailand you can obtain a non o based on retirement. Your wife could do the same or option based on being your wife.

You should not consider PE (elite) as waste of money at your age (imo).

As others posted you can quarantine together.

i agree.

i also reckon that the + 90 day STV is much more onerous with its requirements.

23 minutes ago, Bvor said:

i agree.

i also reckon that the + 90 day STV is much more onerous with its requirements.

The important part of the OP is where he refers to longer term plans to live in Thailand 9 months of the year. The best path is to enter with SETV then obtain the non o based on retirement  and subsequent 12 month extension. Note the STV cannot be used to obtain a non O (retirement). With a reentry permit he can then have simple ongoing way to spend 9 months per year here. He would need to select that first extension date based around future plans and timing of when his stays in Thailand would occur. 

Other option would be non O-A as with plan to return to home country every year he could obtain a new non O-A every 2 years.

Thank you all for your answers and advice.  I have been reading all that I find and feel confident that an agency is not needed.  A spread sheet of dates and actions will do.

-  Having some difficulties finding ASQ packages in our price range.  Looking for a package around 70,000 baht including the add on fee for the wife while not including taxes.  Looks like the prices on the Internet do not include taxes/fees.  Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-  Do you know if anyone on the forum has travelled to Thailand with quarantine and the present conditions that have posted their experience?

9 minutes ago, George36 said:

Thank you all for your answers and advice.  I have been reading all that I find and feel confident that an agency is not needed.  A spread sheet of dates and actions will do.

-  Having some difficulties finding ASQ packages in our price range.  Looking for a package around 70,000 baht including the add on fee for the wife while not including taxes.  Looks like the prices on the Internet do not include taxes/fees.  Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-  Do you know if anyone on the forum has travelled to Thailand with quarantine and the present conditions that have posted their experience?

There are many many threads that can answer all your questions. Don't use the thaivisa search. It's useless.

Use google with search such as ..."ASQ experience thaivisa" etc.

Anything you can think off regarding your questions. The results direct you to many threads. Make sure you include "thaivisa" end of each search.

Good luck.

On 12/10/2020 at 6:06 PM, ubonjoe said:

It is hard to predict what will available in May and what the requirements to enter the country will be.

At this time you can apply for a single entry tourist visa that will allow one 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

A also the special tourist visa (STV) that allows a 90 day entry that can be extended 2 times for 90 days.

The requirements can vary from embassy to embassy. It would help to know which country you will traveling from.

At this time you must apply for a certificate of entry, have a corvid 19 test, fit to fly certificate and a reservation for a ASQ hotel for the 14 day quarantine to apply for it.

How does having been vaccinated change the requirements? is that known?

8 minutes ago, elgenon said:

How does having been vaccinated change the requirements? is that known?

It is still to early to expect any info about it yet. The PM has stated he did not expect any changes until the middle of next year.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:23 AM, DaLa said:

No problem , a freind of mine from Sweden is right now in Quarantine with his Thai wife in Bangkok.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:22 AM, ubonjoe said:

No problem if married. Some ASQ hotels will also allow it as well if not married.

I found this fact confirmed yesterday in an article in the Swiss news daily BLICK where a Swiss couple recounts their first days in quarantine in Thailand and yes, they stay together in a hotel suite in Bangkok, paid CHF 3'000, they obviously don't mind the price as they can afford it easily.

A question please.  My wife is 62.  I am 66.  Both have Feb birthdays and 35th anniversary.  Would love to get to Thailand in February to surprise her.  Both of us believe we will have our vaccine completed by end of April, two dozes.  

We would move up our trip to Thailand if we could procure the vaccine in Thailand before the end of summer  of 2021 figuring Thailand will stay Covid free until then.

Is this a “money talks” situation where you will be able to procure the vaccine?

Or, perhaps, our age would allow us to get it?

Might changing to retirement visa move us under the line to receive vaccine?

Thanks so much.

1 hour ago, George36 said:

A question please.  My wife is 62.  I am 66.  Both have Feb birthdays and 35th anniversary.  Would love to get to Thailand in February to surprise her.  Both of us believe we will have our vaccine completed by end of April, two dozes.  

We would move up our trip to Thailand if we could procure the vaccine in Thailand before the end of summer  of 2021 figuring Thailand will stay Covid free until then.

Is this a “money talks” situation where you will be able to procure the vaccine?

Thanks so much.

Nobody will know this at this time. I saw a statement that vaccines would not be available until the spring. 

2 hours ago, George36 said:

Thanks so much.

Thailand has not preordered any of the initial doses of the vaccine, so it won't be widely available here for a long time.  They are talking about 6+ months from now before any will be available.   No one knows any more than that at this point.

Thanks for the replies.  Hmmmm, this sets up a real conundrum for us.  Leave in February without vaccine and return to U.S. in three or so months to get vaccine or leave only after we get the vaccine here which could be Mayish?  After getting vaccine in states, we would return to Thailand and have to go through another quarantine.

We are really ready to make the move now.  We would look to stay initially for a year.

Hmmmmmm.

Thanks.

Decision made.  Target date to travel to Thailand is February 10th, 2021.  Our hope would be to set up our retirement visas once we get done with the quarantine.

Now to make the “to do” list and read, read and read.  

60 days until target date.

I have sent off two request concerning ASQ facilities including the Miloft Sathorn as recommended by oceanbreeze851.  Thanks.

I have a question about the flights.  Previously, I entered on Visa Exempt with the intent to get the 30 day extension.  I arranged main flight to and from Thailand with return to U.S. on the 59th day.  Japan Air Lines would not let me board until I showed them a ticket that returns within 30 days.  Fortunately, I had bought a throwaway ticket to Viet Nam for a few dollars.  

What return flight should I get?  Thanks.

Would appreciate any thoughts on what airlines would be best.  

Does the below contain the essence of my to list?  Any additions, changes or pitfalls that I should be aware of?  Thanks.

Visa and Certificate of Entry procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to obtain Tourist visa (Single entry only)

1. At least 15 working days before the intended date of travel, the applicant must fill in the information and upload all required documents online here

2. The Royal Thai Embassy / Consulates-General will review the application. If the applicant requires a visa, the visa officer will inform the applicant to submit the following documents through mail to the Royal Thai Embassy (ATTN: Visa Section) or Royal Thai Consulate-General in Los Angeles, Chicago, or New York:

2.1 Passport

2.2 Two passport-size photographs (2″x 2″)

2.3 Visa application form (Download) (if the applicant doesn’t have a valid Thai visa)

2.4 Declaration form (Download)

2.5 Medical insurance guaranteeing that the insurance company will cover a minimum of 100,000 USD (or equivalent in other currencies) of medical costs incurred by the applicant in Thailand, including medical costs in the event that the applicant contracts COVID-19 (The insurance must cover the whole duration of stay in Thailand)

2.6 A confirmation of booking of Alternative State Quarantine (Please check the list of the alternative state quarantine hotels at www.hsscovid.com or www.thaiembdc.org/asq)

2.7 Self-addressed return envelope and visa fee (Money order – $40 for single entry only)  if the applicant doesn’t have a valid visa

2.8 A Copy of round trip flight confirmation/reservation showing going from the US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must be indicated clearly)

2.9 Copy of recent bank statement ($700 per person and $1,500 per family).  The name of the applicant must be indicated clearly), In case of submitting a family bank statement, proof of relationship (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.

3. At the departure airport, the approved applicant is required to present

3.1 A “Certificate of Entry” issued by The Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulates-General;

3.2 A “Health Certificate”, Fit to Fly, issued no more than 72 hours before departure.

3.3 Medical insurance guaranteeing that the insurance company will cover a minimum of 100,000 USD (or equivalent in other currencies) of medical costs incurred by the applicant in Thailand, including medical costs in the event that the applicant contracts COVID-19 (The insurance must cover the whole duration of stay in Thailand); and

3.4 A Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected, issued no more than 72 hours before departure

4. Upon entry to Thailand,

Travelers arriving in Thailand during the COVID-19 pandemic must present the following documents to be granted entry:

4.1 COE and Declaration Form

4.2 Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected, using RT-PCR test, issued no more than 72 hours before departure

4.3 Fit-to-fly/Fit-to-travel Health Certificate issued no more than 72 hours before departure

4.4 Medical insurance guaranteeing that the insurance company will cover a minimum of 100,000 US dollars (or equivalent in other currencies) of medical costs incurred by the applicant in Thailand, including medical costs in the event that the applicant contracts COVID-19 (The insurance must cover the whole duration of stay in Thailand)

5.  If granted entry, a traveler must go through 14 days of Alternative State Quarantine
*** The applicant must arrange their own 14-day Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) at their own expenses. More information, including a list of permitted hotels (in Thai), can be found here at http://hsscovid.com/ or Royal Thai Embassy’s website ***

Well, the Covid test 72 hours before departure seems to be easy for us.  This place will provide same day results and, even, mobile services:

https://nsightrecovery.com/covid-testing-for-travel/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIro-d-afJ7QIVDh6tBh06BwiFEAAYAiAAEgJ9j_D_BwE

Fit to Fly certificate seems easy enough and can be done online virtually.

https://urgentcarelajolla.com/services/fit-to-fly-certificates/

Medical Coverage for Covid is confusing.  My wife and I have Tricare where we believe that we are covered for overseas sickness, etc but we pay first and then get reimbursed.  Do we have to buy a separate complete policy with Covid coverage or is there a stand alone Covid coverage policy?  Thanks.

My mind hurts from all this but we are so excited.

Thanks.

Archived