Moving to Pattaya Soonest Possible After May 1, 2021

I also have Tricare (tricare-for-life) which changes to Tricare Overseas at a 80/20 split. The problem with tricare is they are unwilling to provide a $100,000 guarantee for treatment of covid. Buy the covid insurance for the length of your initial visa. When you do your extension of stay based on retirement, you will not need covid insurance (I think).

9 hours ago, George36 said:

Thanks for the replies.  Hmmmm, this sets up a real conundrum for us.  Leave in February without vaccine and return to U.S. in three or so months to get vaccine or leave only after we get the vaccine here which could be Mayish?  After getting vaccine in states, we would return to Thailand and have to go through another quarantine.

We are really ready to make the move now.  We would look to stay initially for a year.

Hmmmmmm.

Thanks.

They say the vaccine will be here in May.  Whether foreigners can get the jab isn't clear yet.  But I'd say within a few months of that, with a bit of cash at a private hospital, it should be easy to get.  Plus, many more jabs are coming out and who knows what the vaccines will be like by May.  Even the Pfizer jab will be different according to the CEO of BioNTech.  They're working on a one jab vaccine. 

We don't really have the virus here, but since they don't test, who knows.  Hospitals are not filling up, so that's a pretty good indication we're doing OK here.  I just spoke with my friend in San Diego.  She wishes she was here rather than there!

After you are out of quarantine, go to immigration in Jomtien, soi 5.  Meet with the main guy at the front desk and he'll help you sort out your visa.  I'd recommend not going with them immediately, but to shop around a bit.  There are many agents who can help and the prices vary widely.  Just met a guy yesterday who paid 35k Baht for his!  Wow...

11 hours ago, George36 said:

Thanks for the replies.  Hmmmm, this sets up a real conundrum for us.  Leave in February without vaccine and return to U.S. in three or so months to get vaccine or leave only after we get the vaccine here which could be Mayish?  After getting vaccine in states, we would return to Thailand and have to go through another quarantine.

We are really ready to make the move now.  We would look to stay initially for a year.

Keep in mind that all the dates you are hearing about when you can get the vaccine in the US are just best case estimates by politicians.  There is no way to know the real date you can get it--it may be several months later than you are expecting.  If it was me, I would come to thailand ASAP, and just get the vaccine next time you plan to go home.  Your risk is very low here, and it would be much more risky to just wait in the US indefinitely.

24 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Keep in mind that all the dates you are hearing about when you can get the vaccine in the US are just best case estimates by politicians.  There is no way to know the real date you can get it--it may be several months later than you are expecting.  If it was me, I would come to thailand ASAP, and just get the vaccine next time you plan to go home.  Your risk is very low here, and it would be much more risky to just wait in the US indefinitely.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/03/opinion/covid-19-vaccine-timeline.html

On 12/11/2020 at 8:49 AM, George36 said:

Not sure of what other questions that I should be asking.  Other than:  How do we get back to Thailand as soon as possible after May 1, 2021?  Thanks.

Lol.  Sorry but a basic question like this is funny IMO.  Much life experience with international travel?

No one can tell the future during this pandemic.

If over 50, you should have 800K in a Thai bank by now. 

That and a rental contract or owning a dwelling is al you need for a Non-0 visa 

17 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Lol.  Sorry but a basic question like this is funny IMO.  Much life experience with international travel?

No one can tell the future during this pandemic.

If over 50, you should have 800K in a Thai bank by now. 

That and a rental contract or owning a dwelling is al you need for a Non-0 visa 

My wife and I will enter on a Tourist Visa for 60 days and extend for 30 if needed.   Upon release from quarantine, we will work on the retirement visa. 

Learned a lot today and I want to say thanks to all who have assisted.  

Goal is February 10, 2021 flight date.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is still to early to expect any info about it yet. The PM has stated he did not expect any changes until the middle of next year.

I hope to get vaccinated soon, by the end of January, as i am in the vulnerable age group in US that they said will get the shots early on.  I was hoping that would alleviate some of the requirements.

21 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I hope to get vaccinated soon, by the end of January, as i am in the vulnerable age group in US that they said will get the shots early on.  I was hoping that would alleviate some of the requirements.

I think it be while before they change the requirements for entry after vaccines is available and they have been in use long enough to see how effective they are. 

On 12/12/2020 at 7:56 AM, George36 said:

In case it's helpful, there is a statement from the MFA at the recent Forbes forum that discusses their vaccine efforts, among other things, here: https://www.mfa.go.th/en/content/remarksatforbesthailandforum2020

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think it be while before they change the requirements for entry after vaccines is available and they have been in use long enough to see how effective they are. 

There is a chance I can get the shots in January. Please keep us informed. Thanks

Update.  On track to leave on February 8th and quarantine from the 9th to the 24th of February.

Just for info concerning U.S.A. Tourist Visa applications, my wife and I were required to submit two 2 x 2 photos, paid for airline flights, Covid-19 Policy (8,450 Baht for two months, https://covid19.tgia.org/ ), Copy of Passport and Bank Statements.  

The website indicates these were not necessary until AFTER they initially looked at the application.  Left to send in would be:  ASQ reservation and payment, declaration and Passport.  The passport application seems to be satisfied by online information application.

For info, flights booked have free date changing and the Covid insurance is cancelled if denied a visa and/or COE.  

Congratulations! I hope everything works out fine. May I ask, were you required to have a throw away ticket for your return flight? I hope we (my wife and I) will be there sooner than February. I still have a couple of boxes to check like selling my house. But we will get there. I am scheduled to get my first covid vaccine next week as I am a registered nurse over 60 y/o working with covid patients. (Second box to check.)

Closing in on my Tourist Visa.  

Wife is sending me to Thailand first and she will follow in three months or so.   Have booked Eva Air to arrive the 15th of January 2021.

Thank you for your service as a Nurse.  Trying days for you all.  

Hi i want to do that the same as you 8 months thailand and 4months in uk also 70 years old But dont foget to have life and Accident insurance very expencive there if anything happends and you cant make it back to the uk for tretment i know i lived in thailand for 7yrs had to come back for 2stents they wanted 600,000 for two stents and that was a local thai hospital and if you cant speak thai very boring in hospital this is my avice to you Buddy !

Happy, Happy, Happy!  5555

Thai Consulate called telling me that I forgot to include a prepaid self addressed overnight envelope to return documents.  No problem, I will do tomorrow happily.

They will get the envelope from me on Wednesday morning.  Will the Thai Consulate be open Christmas, day after or not until Monday??  Surely will get everything next week.  

Also found a clinic that can give me the Covid test results and fit to fly within the 72 hours timeframe.

Is the timeframe of 72 from the time plane is expected to leave or the time of arrival Bangkok?  Thanks All.

21 minutes ago, George36 said:

Happy, Happy, Happy!  5555

Thai Consulate called telling me that I forgot to include a prepaid self addressed overnight envelope to return documents.  No problem, I will do tomorrow happily.

They will get the envelope from me on Wednesday morning.  Will the Thai Consulate be open Christmas, day after or not until Monday??  Surely will get everything next week.  

Also found a clinic that can give me the Covid test results and fit to fly within the 72 hours timeframe.

Is the timeframe of 72 from the time plane is expected to leave or the time of arrival Bangkok?  Thanks All.

Great news!  I'd ask the Thai consulate that last question.

1 hour ago, George36 said:

Will the Thai Consulate be open Christmas, day after or not until Monday??  Surely will get everything next week.  

They will be closed Christmas day. 

1 hour ago, George36 said:

Is the timeframe of 72 from the time plane is expected to leave or the time of arrival Bangkok?

The day and time your flight is scheduled to depart.

Got my “3 of 3” email today with COE and directions if I need to change things.

“The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles has issued you the Certificate of Entry as attached.

Please take a moment to review your documents and prepare to show required documents at the departure airport and upon entry to Thailand

The applicant, who wishes to change their travel plan, must upload air ticket + ASQ through personal link 5 working days before departure date. 

The applicant who fails to inform the embassy /Consulates-General in advance will not be able to board the plane due to lack of permission from concerned authorities.

For more information please contact 
Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles

visa@thaiconsulatela.org

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all that have posted the last couple of months about returning to Thailand.  Assisting each other has made the process so much easier.

Thanks to ThaiVisa and Ubonjoe.  An absolutely superb website and person.

BTW, I am presently sitting in LAX waiting to board my flight to Thailand via Japan.  Check in went smoothly.  This place is deserted.

Funny thing.  I arrive in Thailand at 11:35 p.m. on the 11th of February.  My “0” day will have 25 minutes in it.  

Thanks again all.

5 hours ago, George36 said:

Thanks to all that have posted the last couple of months about returning to Thailand.  Assisting each other has made the process so much easier.

Thanks to ThaiVisa and Ubonjoe.  An absolutely superb website and person.

BTW, I am presently sitting in LAX waiting to board my flight to Thailand via Japan.  Check in went smoothly.  This place is deserted.

Funny thing.  I arrive in Thailand at 11:35 p.m. on the 11th of February.  My “0” day will have 25 minutes in it.  

Thanks again all.

Congratulations... You made it! (well, you're on your way at least, the hard part is done.)

6 hours ago, George36 said:

If you clear immigration after midnight they may stamp you in for the 12th.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you clear immigration after midnight they may stamp you in for the 12th.

Flight was on time and was checked in for the 11th of February.

The process through Immigration and all took about 30 minutes.  Very smooth.  

Thanks again all.

Archived