Pattaya is safe from Covid: Mayor promises no dropping of the guard at Music Festival

webfact

Pattaya is safe from Covid: Mayor promises no dropping of the guard at Music Festival

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Pattaya's mayor Sontaya Khunpluem has promised that all Covid-19 protocols will be in place for the year end events at the resort.

Today features the start of the Music Festival 2020 on Pattaya and Jomtien beaches. There will be strict screening points at entry to the stages.

Siam Rath declared that the mayor said Pattaya was safe for tourists and other visitors. 

They published a picture of police and other officials at what appeared to be the recently concluded fireworks' festival.

6pm3.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Other events before the turn of the year include a bird racing event and the "countdown" for 2021. 

Thailand, largely Covid free, has been jittery in recent days after a series of infections brought in from Myanmar and some local transmission of the virus, notes Thaivisa.

Source: Siam Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-11

If there is a single infected Burmese (or recent Burma visitor) working at or attending the music festival I doubt very much that they can implement measures that would prevent spread. I attended the fireworks festival and there were no measures in effect other than at the entrance to malls. On the Beach, other than 10-15% wearing masks, I would say no effort. There is no way they could effectively do that with the crowds involved....  herding cats springs to mind. 

Last time I attended a New Years celebration there, I could have lifted my feet and still been transported around in the crowds. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even if they somehow get people to stay in seats, when the concert ends there will be the mob heading for the exits, and then crowds outside limited concert seating space will undoubtedly be shoulder to shoulder....

I think the virus is here, but officials won't admit it because they assume locals won't put up with another lockdown.

A few bits: took baht bus into town from Jomtien yesterday & bit where bus loops around underpass (sorry don't know name) one of the hotels had a large blue awning in front with maybe 6-8 people in full protection gear out front. Didn't see that last week.... covid quarantine hotel? I don't know. At immigration the other day seems they've gotten to sitting many people outside like during lockdown, a bit more serious than recently. And condo I live in has reinstalled hand disinfectant in lifts. I don't travel around town much and this is anecdotal, but anyone else notice such things emerging once more?

16 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Even if they somehow get people to stay in seats, when the concert ends there will be the mob heading for the exits, and then crowds outside limited concert seating space will undoubtedly be shoulder to shoulder....

I think the virus is here, but officials won't admit it because they assume locals won't put up with another lockdown.

A few bits: took baht bus into town from Jomtien yesterday & bit where bus loops around underpass (sorry don't know name) one of the hotels had a large blue awning in front with maybe 6-8 people in full protection gear out front. Didn't see that last week.... covid quarantine hotel? I don't know. At immigration the other day seems they've gotten to sitting many people outside like during lockdown, a bit more serious than recently. And condo I live in has reinstalled hand disinfectant in lifts. I don't travel around town much and this is anecdotal, but anyone else notice such things emerging once more?

I saw that 2 months ago is it a Quarantine hotel 

• Thanks 1