Thailand's dependence on Tourism 2030: 30% of GDP

Its only the tourism sector dealing with foreigners that is hit hard at moment for obvious reasons.

Many Thai people are out of work in our village that cater for foreigners especially the Thai western type restaurants which a majority of are closed up.

Many Guest houses and Hotels are empty.

Apart from that what I call Thai tourists from all over Thailand still come to our village in Old Sukhothai in great numbers.

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

The article is a bit misleading as the industry has never cotributed more than 15% of GDP & I doubt will until 2014 now

The direct contribution to GDP has varied from 10% (Yingluck regime) to 15% (Prayut regime). The cited 22.5% (rnd to 30%?) has added indirect and ancillary contributions as shown in the chart. That seems logical and reasonable.

I suspect that it was the Prayut regime that, in the face of increasing value of the baht that energized the value of the SET stock market ( good for the 1%) at the cost of exports declining due to the uncompetitive baht (not good for SME industries), pursued an economic policy of persuing higher tourism (ie., massive Chinese tourism) as a substitution. 

It's the job of the Tourism Department to promote their work, and of course their estimates are based on the most optimistic assumptions.

I doubt any country would want to rely on just one sector for such a big lump of their economy in case of a disruption to that sector (e.g. tourism and Covid).

Tourism's contribution to the Thai economy will continue around 10% as the rest of the economy grows (assuming the Thai Government adequately manages the Baht and other internal factors under its control).

One suspects there is a limit to how many tourists can visit without trashing the environment. 20 - 25 million visitors each year is probably approaching that threshold. So Thailand can try for a richer class of tourists, squeeze more out of those visiting and/or diversify tourist experiences away from the current hot spots. Of course, they should be (and are) trying for all three.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hugocnx said:

The year 2030? How many people have read the Agenda 2030? Observing what's going on these days in the world one might as well assume there is no tourism at all in the year 2030. I surely wouldn't bet my money on it. 

The agenda to lift all out of poverty, achieve sustainable development and bring the before of vaccines to all, ‘leave no one behind’. 
Why would there be no tourism because of that? 

Edited by MadMuhammad

5 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

The agenda to lift all out of poverty, achieve sustainable development and bring the before of vaccines to all, ‘leave no one behind’. 

If you believe that, we have totally different opinions about the subject. Therefor I don't feel like arguing by answering your question.

On 12/15/2020 at 7:17 AM, MadMuhammad said:

Probably because a large part of Thailand's tourism industry is based on the sex trade, and that exists because a certain segment of the population is kept poor, on purpose, most being from Issan.  

On 12/14/2020 at 9:32 PM, Stevemercer said:

Tourism's contribution to the Thai economy will continue around 10% as the rest of the economy grows (assuming the Thai Government adequately manages the Baht and other internal factors under its control).

How well do you think they have been managing it so far?  ????