New Year travel poll: 92% of Thais most worried about Covid - fear the virus more than traffic accidents

webfact

Possum 

in usa DMV manuals, there is a general rule called the 3 second rule...some say 4 seconds...

the amount of time needed which includes decision to break and amount of time for breaking distance covered...

it follows the law of physics and proven in ample empirical studies...

Edited by cardinalblue

17 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Well, that just about says it all.......  What is it now, 13,000 plus dead since January on the roads and everyone's bricking it over flu that's supposedly killed 60........   

sunday was eating at outside table....was there for about 2 hrs.......must have seen 400 to 500 motorbikes zooming past.....i would say.....350 NOT WEARING crash helmets but ALL WEARING masks......saw one copper pass by.....he had helmet.......NEVER stopped any one not wearing helmets    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Possum 

in usa DMV manuals, there is a general rule called the 3 second rule...some say 4 seconds...

the amount of time needed which includes decision to break and amount of time for breaking distance covered...

it follows the law of physics and proven in ample empirical studies...

surely depends on how fast one is going.....3 or 4 secs passes very quickly.......

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Excellent post apart from #7. If anyone asked me my braking distance, I would not know how to answer. It depends on weather conditions, traffic conditions, road conditions etc.

I don't know if it's still the case as I took my test decades ago, but there is/was a graph in the Highway Code book in the UK about braking distances and it was something that was sometimes asked during the driving test. Back in those days, just one error during the test could mean a fail so it was something you had to know. I suppose the answer in the UK was based on there being wet roads ???? The other things you mention shouldn't affect braking distance, how long it takes to stop at X or Y speed, only the speed you are going.

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't know if it's still the case as I took my test decades ago, but there is/was a graph in the Highway Code book in the UK about braking distances and it was something that was sometimes asked during the driving test. Back in those days, just one error during the test could mean a fail so it was something you had to know. I suppose the answer in the UK was based on there being wet roads ???? The other things you mention shouldn't affect braking distance, how long it takes to stop at X or Y speed, only the speed you are going.

Yes, I remember that too, it was a load of nonsense, of course what I mentioned could affect your braking distance, think about it.

This is what media does. A lot of scaring articles about this "killer" virus and not a lot of attention for the number of road accidents. People are getting completely brainwashed and losing sight on reality. Sure, there is a virus and we have to be careful. But what people hear and read is much more then what this virus is.