Road accidents claim 67 lives during long weekend

webfact

13 minutes ago, overherebc said:
2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

'There is another thread of several that have been posted over time, people whining that the cops are stopping people, writing citations, and enforcing the law.'

Not necessarily. I too have read posts over time regarding Thais living abroad who stick to the rules because they know the police enforce the law and they will suffer if they don't comply.

I have actually heard the words

'I don't want to drive in UK because the police are too strict and I can't zig-zag on the motorway'.

I rest my case, m'lud. ????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, dddave said:

A total of 60 people died of Covid-19 over the past year in Thailand, 7 less than died this past long weekend in traffic accidents.  Thailand's borders are shut down, but not it's highways.

Worldwide about 1.5 million have died from Covid 19.  Annually, about the same number die in vehicle accidents worldwide.

The reaction to Covid-19?  Shut the world down, quarantine all populations, economic catastrophe be damned.

The reaction to an equal number of vehicular deaths:  "Ho-Hum"   

The government makes the laws .so i don.t understand why are they 1000's without helmets.why   does ppl ignore this law

14 hours ago, dddave said:

A total of 60 people died of Covid-19 over the past year in Thailand, 7 less than died this past long weekend in traffic accidents.  Thailand's borders are shut down, but not it's highways.

Worldwide about 1.5 million have died from Covid 19.  Annually, about the same number die in vehicle accidents worldwide.

The reaction to Covid-19?  Shut the world down, quarantine all populations, economic catastrophe be damned.

The reaction to an equal number of vehicular deaths:  "Ho-Hum"   

Might as well  ban all road traffic until things get better

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

I have noticed that while driving my small car the bigger cars are like bullies as they drive to close. While driving my big car (a big Nissan Frontier) they do not get too close in case they may come off worse in the event of contact.

Maybe you become a bully in your "big" Nissan Frontier?

I don't call my pickup "The Sports Lorry" for nothing you know.

24 minutes ago, Gilltom said:

The government makes the laws .so i don.t understand why are they 1000's without helmets.why   does ppl ignore this law

For the girls it's : I don't want helmet hair. 

For the boys it's : small penis syndrome. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

The government should start to feel guilty and compensate the dead people’s family. For there incompetence to make the roads safe by enforcement of driving rules and convictions.  As some of these deaths are not necessary the person who died his fault. And not just keep bragging about the death rates...as if they are acceptable  

You have to be joking Take my money in taxes I have paid and give to people who have died via traffic accidents. Forget it. By doing this you are saying all people of Thailand are guilty  Give your head a shake

35 minutes ago, Gilltom said:

At the risk of introducing an alien concept into this age-old subject (again)... this is Thailand.

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Enjoying it blissfully, glad that the third eye I grew in the back of my head still functions....

I would rather hope your obviously well-preserved and frequently honed good driving fundamentals have done you more good here than any imaginary ocular manifestation.

Yes, it's grim here but nothing is ever going to change that any time soon. When I first washed up on a Thai beach, car insurance consisted of a trip to a temple for a monk's blessing. If you had a prang, you got it sorted... and then took it to a different temple... repeat ad infinitum.

Despite the huge choices and the growing popularity of online shopping for car insurance, after over forty years here, there are still more messed up roof linings, dashboards covered with shiny plastic Buddhas and clusters of amulets swinging from (badly adjusted) rear-view mirrors than local drivers with proper insurance.

'twas ever thus

18 hours ago, heist said:

Was almost 68 thanks to 2 guys on a motorcycle that couldn't quite decide if going 15 km/h was fast enough to cut across the front of my car that was doing 90.

My wife said they were confused which direction I was going to go.

It was a straight road. 

Turning right at traffic lights into a narrow road with my car, they think coming up on the inside and cutting in front of you as you accelerate away, is perfectly normal. Well it is here init, stupid me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Lack of driver ability kills.

But if he was not speeding his injuries might not be fatal.  Totally agree with your diagnosis of most Thai drivers but that is a long term project which will take years to accomplish (if ever).  But savaging speeding drivers with severe penalties including car confiscation would get the message across to even the dimmest driver.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mikebell said:

But if he was not speeding his injuries might not be fatal.  Totally agree with your diagnosis of most Thai drivers but that is a long term project which will take years to accomplish (if ever).  But savaging speeding drivers with severe penalties including car confiscation would get the message across to even the dimmest driver.

They say it's usually 3 things together that cause a disaster.

1 Lack of skill

2 Speeding

3 No effective controls.

Maybe others, people can add??

Edited by overherebc

23 hours ago, webfact said:

There were no reports of accidents involving public buses, boats or aircraft on December 10-13.

“Responsible agencies enforced Covid-19 preventive measures on public transport to ensure the safety of all passengers,” it added.

I am sure the Covid 19 preventive measures were the reason. ????