Mat Or Carpet For Bed Of Pickup Truck?

Trying to figure a way to make the floor of my pickup bed flatter and nice to crawl around on. It's a Toyota Hilux Revo 'extra cab'. In the US there are a few outfits that make custom mats out of various materials. (I've seen some on Lazada, but would prefer to go see, or do DIY.) Some are 'hourglass' shaped with custom fit. Then there are generic ones, some of which can be cut to fit, or just run down the middle. Some guys have used outdoor or marine carpet. Another guy used something called 'gym foam.' I suppose another option would be to cut some strips of plywood. Those would maybe need to be stored in the cab during rain. Anyone know where pickup bed mats are sold, or thick outdoor carpet, etc.? Thx

budrug carpet.jpg

Dee Zee generic mat.png

generic rubber.png

4gym foam small.png

3gym rubber.jpg

marine1.jpg

marine2.jpg

Edited by OliverKlozerof

I put an old Duvet in the back of my 4 door Vigo. Not that I ever had anyone sit in the back. Just saved things banging about. Also had an electric lid so ok when it rained. After a few years got so fed up with the bumpy ride I changed it for a Tuna. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Where are these markets? Are they auto oriented markets?

Seen them at the larger outdoor markets or flea markets  ( not auto oriented ) Chatuchak etc, Grand Market in Ayutthaya has them regularly.

They have a big pile of the material in different colours and the templates ( Hilux, Ranger, Triton etc ) laid out in front on the floor.

• Like 2

Get a sheet of 15 mm thick PP hollow plastic formwork from a building supplier. It comes in the regular 1220*2440mm sheet sizes, same as regular plywood. Custom cut to fit the bed, then you can lay whatever you like on top. My tribe like the regular, thin bamboo floor mats. It's polypropylene (PP) so no need to worry about it getting wet. It's also quite heavy so can help with a smoother ride as the weight is evenly distributed over the rear axle.

173744298_ppformwork.jpg.2dbd0e7a9752fc5d4bdb7e37bae898aa.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seen them at the larger outdoor markets or flea markets  ( not auto oriented ) Chatuchak etc, Grand Market in Ayutthaya has them regularly.

They have a big pile of the material in different colours and the templates ( Hilux, Ranger, Triton etc ) laid out in front on the floor.

Do you live in Ayutthaya? Does Grand Market have them all the time?

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Get a sheet of 15 mm thick PP hollow plastic formwork from a building supplier. It comes in the regular 1220*2440mm sheet sizes, same as regular plywood. Custom cut to fit the bed, then you can lay whatever you like on top. My tribe like the regular, thin bamboo floor mats. It's polypropylene (PP) so no need to worry about it getting wet. It's also quite heavy so can help with a smoother ride as the weight is evenly distributed over the rear axle.

Do you know a building supplier in BKK that would have this? Just checked ThaiWatsadu site, and don't see it.

2 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

My truck came with one of the plastic bed liners, which I guess protects against rust.

Revo bed liner-small.jpg

Yes, that's what I have in my Chevy Colorado. It came with the truck and curves up over the rails to prevent water ingress. It's very heavy polyethylene and is practically impenetrable. Though it wouldn't provide comfortable seating I would think.

A futon, bottle of wine, and a remote location under the stars with a sweetie would ease the situation considerably.

On 12/16/2020 at 4:22 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

I drove up there last night. Is this the guy you’re thinking of?

He said he’d sell me a roll for 800 baht, but the material was I think EVA...quite light, like what Crocs are made of. He said I’d have to cut it myself. 

F84962CA-F2C9-4259-80E6-C151DC7C4F5E.jpeg

8C2520A5-7CD4-47D5-97E4-15CDA49383C8.jpeg

Drove up to Ayutthaya last night. Found guy selling rubber mat material but seemed too lightweight. Then I saw all the sellers had rolls of bamboo slats they laid their stuff on and asked where to get. A woman said at market in Ayutthaya. So today I bought one. Just 200 baht and may do the trick!

829855B4-7B5E-423D-91C5-5838B1096486.jpeg

F212C5CE-E90A-4FDC-94F5-8F9A87E19D63.jpeg

11 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I drove up there last night. Is this the guy you’re thinking of?

He said he’d sell me a roll for 800 baht, but the material was I think EVA...quite light, like what Crocs are made of. He said I’d have to cut it myself. 

F84962CA-F2C9-4259-80E6-C151DC7C4F5E.jpeg

8C2520A5-7CD4-47D5-97E4-15CDA49383C8.jpeg

Yes, sorry if it wasn’t what you wanted, i don’t have a pick up so didn’t pay too much attention to the material I admit.

Cut it yourself ?

Yup, the guy looks rushed off his feet ????

10 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Drove up to Ayutthaya last night. Found guy selling rubber mat material but seemed too lightweight. Then I saw all the sellers had rolls of bamboo slats they laid their stuff on and asked where to get. A woman said at market in Ayutthaya. So today I bought one. Just 200 baht and may do the trick!

829855B4-7B5E-423D-91C5-5838B1096486.jpeg

F212C5CE-E90A-4FDC-94F5-8F9A87E19D63.jpeg

Okay, glad you didn’t have a wasted journey .

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, sorry if it wasn’t what you wanted, i don’t have a pick up so didn’t pay too much attention to the material I admit.

Cut it yourself ?

Yup, the guy looks rushed off his feet ????

No worries...it was partly an excuse to go on a first short road trip in my new (to me) truck. The stuff may have worked, but I'd have to roll and stow it each time....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay, glad you didn’t have a wasted journey .

Yeah...I'd actually been thinking something like this could work, but couldn't find anything like it online. I'll set up y mosquito tent on top of this, then put down an inflatable camping pad inside the tent. Should work well. Plus very cheap, minimal, and very Thai!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 3:36 PM, OliverKlozerof said:

Do you know a building supplier in BKK that would have this? Just checked ThaiWatsadu site, and don't see it.

Never seen it at Thai Watsadu but they do have stuff out the back. Up here we have Global House and DoHome that carry the more complete range of building stuff, not just the DIY sort of stuff. There's a Do-Home nearer you.

Rangsit Branch 020238844

Rama 2 Branch 034119699

Bang Bua Thong Branch 020238877

Petchkasem Branch 034114199

Bangna Trad Branch 033050898

https://www.dohome.co.th/

There must be a Thai name for it so when I drop by DoHome next, I'll ask. It's not on DoHomes' website either but I bought a sheet from the local branch about 3 months ago to make a basketball hoop backboard. It was around 1300 baht a sheet which is about twice the price of plywood.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:23 AM, OliverKlozerof said:

Was just chatting with a friend who said he just put a sheet of half inch plywood in the back, cut to fit the wheel wells. Said it never flew out. Anyone ever do that?

That'll work but when the rains start, it will buckle and warp. The plywood here is mostly construction grade with lots of voids in it so even if you sealed the cut faces, I doubt it would last too long.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There must be a Thai name for it so when I drop by DoHome next, I'll ask. It's not on DoHomes' website either but I bought a sheet from the local branch about 3 months ago to make a basketball hoop backboard. It was around 1300 baht a sheet which is about twice the price of plywood.

That'll work but when the rains start, it will buckle and warp. The plywood here is mostly construction grade with lots of voids in it so even if you sealed the cut faces, I doubt it would last too long.

Do Home has it, but only at Khon Kaen and Udon Thani branches.
https://www.dohome.co.th/nash-plastic-model-4x8-feet-thickness-14-mm-10284572.html

Said he could ship it to BKK after new years...but I think the 'rolled bamboo slat' solution will work. ????

Also found a place in BKK across the river that says they have it, FYI.

On 12/23/2020 at 6:55 PM, OliverKlozerof said:

Do Home has it, but only at Khon Kaen and Udon Thani branches.
https://www.dohome.co.th/nash-plastic-model-4x8-feet-thickness-14-mm-10284572.html

Said he could ship it to BKK after new years...but I think the 'rolled bamboo slat' solution will work. ????

Also found a place in BKK across the river that says they have it, FYI.

Three sheets left at Dohome Udon. They had dozens in three different thicknesses a few months back.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:17 AM, OliverKlozerof said:

Yeah...I'd actually been thinking something like this could work, but couldn't find anything like it online. I'll set up y mosquito tent on top of this, then put down an inflatable camping pad inside the tent. Should work well. Plus very cheap, minimal, and very Thai!

Why not a little pool? 

Pool in truck.jpg

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Like 1