Phone UK

lelapin

11 minutes ago, lelapin said:

I need to phone my UK bank from Thailand using my mobile phone. My account is with AIS. Any ideas as to the cheapest way to contact them.

there's a prefix you can use, i forget what it is but just ask any AIS shop and they'll tell you. easy.

Try this: https://www.ais.co.th/005/en/

I used to use the DTAC equivalent and not bad. Nowadays I use Skype app from my smartphone to any phone number in the world so long as you have a data connection. Cost is from 1 pence per minute and UK 0800 numbers are free to call. If calling often, the Skype Unlimited World package is about £10 per month and gives you unlimited calls to just about anywhere. Some countries or some mobiles do have a small extra charge (7.5 Pence per minute to call a UK mobile). Free to call UK landlines. Been using it for years and very useful if you need to call banks or family etc. who are not on an app.      
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I use Skype app on my smartphone. Add £5 credit. 1p a minute

Yes, SKYPE is the way.  But if you need to phone a UK Mobile it is somewhat more expensive.

Also if you use a UK Bank Debit Card which is registered to your Thailand address then you won't be charged VAT either

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAS21 said:

Yes, SKYPE is the way.  But if you need to phone a UK Mobile it is somewhat more expensive.

Also if you use a UK Bank Debit Card which is registered to your Thailand address then you won't be charged VAT either

Yes last time I looked it's 8p a minute to a mobile, but op is phoning a bank so either free or 1p a minute 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I used to use the DTAC equivalent and not bad. Nowadays I use Skype app from my smartphone to any phone number in the world so long as you have a data connection. Cost is from 1 pence per minute and UK 0800 numbers are free to call. If calling often, the Skype Unlimited World package is about £10 per month and gives you unlimited calls to just about anywhere. Some countries or some mobiles do have a small extra charge (7.5 Pence per minute to call a UK mobile). Free to call UK landlines. Been using it for years and very useful if you need to call banks or family etc. who are not on an app.      

29 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

They quote 18 baht / minute. Sounds high to me

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I use Skype app on my smartphone. Add £5 credit. 1p a minute

If you use the auto top-up feature on the skype mobile app it will automatically top up if your credit gets low. The last thing you want is in the middle of a phone call it to drop out because you ran out of credit.

On hold times before you get through to any of the banks in the UK at the moment are rather excessive. I spent 2 hours 37 minutes getting through to Barclays.