Housing allowance

Pheb

Is housing allowance part of basic salary in This country?  Or it is separated from the basic salary? I am a teacher working in Thailand. Thank you for the help because I was ask to put in the contract the basic salary would be the housing plus the monthly payment I should receive.

Edited by Pheb

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have never heard of a teacher getting a housing allowance. I think it would be included in your salary.

Moved to the teaching forum.

I used to work as a teacher for this agency 7/8 years ago. They offered free housing or a housing allowance. I just checked their site and they still do. Massive agency, employs over 300 teachers.https://www.mediakidsacademy.com/f-a-q/

Q: Can I choose my accommodation?

A: If you don’t like the company’s accommodation or simply wish to find your own accommodation, we can provide a housing allowance of 3,000 baht per month. In these circumstances, we will always work with you to help find something suitable for your needs.

Q: What other options do I have for accommodation?

A: You may also enjoy the “Over Budget Accommodation.” This is a hybrid system for more expensive accommodation where rent is paid directly to the landlord by MediaKids, with a slight deduction from your salary. This is only for accommodation costing more than 3,000 baht (e.g. 3,500 – 4,000 baht monthly rent).

• Like 1

I taught for many years in three different provinces.  As a guess, I would say that 20% of schools offer a housing allowance.  if you are ever asked to given a written salary expectation, there is nothing to stop you from doing it like this:  Monthly Salary: xx,xxx + Housing allowance: yy,yyy = Total: zz,zzz.  If doing it verbally,give the total figure.   

The schools I assist with all offer either housing or a housing allowance.  The housing allowance is 6,000 Baht per month.  If you are offered school housing and refuse, then you do not get the housing allowance.  

As a general rule, the non-native speakers, mostly Filipinos, are in the school housing and most of the native and western teachers are on a housing allowance.  

The pay issues has been handled both as a total amount given once a month and as two separate payments, with pay being given first and housing at a later date. 

6 hours ago, allane said:

As a guess, I would say that 20% of schools offer a housing allowance.

I've worked for 3 schools in Phetchabun (1 state and 2 private) and 1 in Nakhon Sawan (agency contract to a state school) at no times was there among my fellow teachers any accommodation support given to native speakers.

In the Phetchabun State School the Chinese Teachers were given school accommodation on premises.

In one of the Phetchabun private schools the Phillipino teachers were given school accommodation (one room flats on the premises) and deduction were made from their salaries (for rent, electric, etc) every month.

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

Would including housing in one payment have tax implications? 

I believe it does.  It also creates a bit of a contractual mess if it isn't spelled out clearly or if the housing situation changes, such as someone moving into school housing or moving out.  

In the distant past, there was housing but it was quite basic and had no air conditioning, so it wasn't a problem since almost all western teachers were not interested.   As the school grew, there wasn't enough space even for Filipino teachers, so they had to find private housing and were compensated for it. As the area around the school changed, housing costs increased.   It then became clear that it was questionable whether helping some with housing while others were not, was fair.   As a result, the school decided to give everyone either housing or a housing allowance.  

5 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

I had a contract with a housing allowance. After not paying me the allowance for one year I went to the labour board, ruled in my favour, made them pay me in the labour office. Kalasin Pittayasan. 

They started peeling notes off there and  then in the labour office ?

2 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

My previous job it was paid with my salary and noted on pay slip as housing allowance. I paid tax on it.

Current job it is paid cash in hand.. no tax.

You’ll have difficulty renewing your visa and work permit if you don’t pay tax. A condition for renewal - or a fresh visa - is proof of tax payment 

On 12/16/2020 at 6:00 AM, Pheb said:

Is housing allowance part of basic salary in This country?  Or it is separated from the basic salary? I am a teacher working in Thailand. Thank you for the help because I was ask to put in the contract the basic salary would be the housing plus the monthly payment I should receive.

You might want to try asking this question on Ajarn.com as I'm sure that question has come up several times.

2 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

luckily it is only my housing allowance that is paid cash then hey.

LOL - sorry! I didn't read your post correctly.

I didn't see the 'it'; I read it as "Current job is paid cash in hand, no tax" I do apologise!!!

Edited by 2530Ubon

10 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

You’ll have difficulty renewing your visa and work permit if you don’t pay tax. A condition for renewal - or a fresh visa - is proof of tax payment 

The tax form used to be a requirement for me for many years (nonthaburi office) for the extension based on teaching. But that hasn't been the case for a couple of years (to my surprise) - as told to me by our office staff that deals with visas. However, it's required for those doing a marriage extension based on the 40K a month salary. 

On 12/16/2020 at 9:00 PM, Pheb said:

As stated, it is possible but not all that common.  The money for housing allowence should be in addition, as it is not taxable income. 

At some of the schools I've worked for, there was no mention of a housing allowance. I was paid the flat, agreed to salary, and that was it.

At some other schools, I was asked to provide my rental contract, and that part of my salary would be a housing allowance. One was govt, one was semi-govt. I imagine that part of what money they get from the govt depends on them stating their teachers are paying X amount in rent. Not all my rent was covered tho, only up to about 3000 baht.