Minister admits Covid-19 outbreak exposed cracks and faults in Thai economy

webfact

I'm more  interested  in covid vaccines, which ones Thailand are buying and which ones  they hope to make, how they will prioritise and how soon I can get one? Although I am pleased to  be in Thailand with good border control (except for untested Thais and border jumpers) at 74 with health conditions I would like to  have a few more  years of pandemic  free life

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The Thai economy has become too reliant on tourism and the export of commodities, but by admitting this does not mean they plan to pare it down. It means they need to focus more on building other more sustainable aspects of a modern economy.  This will require  planned action involving the whole country, not just empty words in a speech for the media or massive building projects centered on the Capital.

As another poster pointed out, good education of youth is the key to future growth. It's unlikely the current regime will understand nor want to change the current system that discourages independent thinking.

And within these wise words are the problems spelt out that Thailand faces.

The One, Major hurdle that Thailand faces in the near future is its Poor Education System.

There needs to be a radical and modern overhaul to take place though the entire System . From the pre school to the University levels.

Thai Government Official talk the County up so big with the most Enhanced and Modernist Ideas for the Country, but the reality is that they just dont have the Metal needed to actually produce any of the Dream, and without heeding to the Youth of Today, and Employing their Wisdom on Digitization Etc, they never will.

On 12/18/2020 at 3:31 PM, ourmanflint said:

Trillions of dollars from tourism have flowed into the country in a one way free for all

Hence the problem of relying too much on it. A microscopic virus stopped pretty much all world travel, including tourism to Thailand. True, some of it due to Thailand closing its borders (which evidently helped control the pandemic situation here), but actually many people around the world can't afford traveling now as before

8 hours ago, robertson468 said:

The way this Guy talks, you would think you wave a magiv wand and change the whole modus operandi of how the Country conducts business.  Deluded at best uneducated at worst.  Where do these people appear from???

Someone must have a magicians top hat? Its the only answer.

On 12/18/2020 at 4:04 PM, sammieuk1 said:

These projects include the construction of 14 Skytrain lines in Bangkok covering 500 kilometres in the next four to five years, larger than London’s Underground, and the infrastructure projects in the Eastern Economic Corridor to support digital technology, 5G and robotics industry.

Umm! try something easier first like a lunar landing ????

Like the UK has? It shows ambition at least.

On 12/18/2020 at 7:46 AM, webfact said:

“The battle against Covid-19 is not over yet. The government still has many projects in the coming year to boost the economy, attract foreign investors and build infrastructure for future expansion,” the minister added.

Such BS might have at least some credibility if the projects already started got finished on time or at all.

M6 Bangkok - Nakhon Ratchasima motorway due September 2019, still not open.

Bangkok - Nakhon Ratchsima High Speed Train seems to have hit the buffers. Despite work starting over 3 years ago - I doubt I'll ever get to use it.

On 12/18/2020 at 8:31 AM, ourmanflint said:

What is this guy on? The Thai economy relies too much on export and Tourism? Exporting is one of the major ways any country increases its wealth, it is one of the most important economic factors there is. And as for Tourism, without it Thailand would be as poor as Cambodia or Laos are now. Trillions of dollars from tourism have flowed into the country in a one way free for all

He is simply stating that Covid has exposed how much the country relies on exports and tourism.......he is not on anything!!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 2:46 PM, webfact said:

14 Skytrain lines in Bangkok covering 500 kilometres in the next four to five years, larger than London’s Underground,

But London Underground was first opened in 1863 !  During the 3rd Bubonic plague157 yrs ago! And oh yeh it was UNDERGROUND. nice try minister keep on trying to up yourself. 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:31 AM, ourmanflint said:

What is this guy on? The Thai economy relies too much on export and Tourism? Exporting is one of the major ways any country increases its wealth, it is one of the most important economic factors there is. And as for Tourism, without it Thailand would be as poor as Cambodia or Laos are now. Trillions of dollars from tourism have flowed into the country in a one way free for all

He wants to make Thailand just like Singapore. Producing nothing and making a fortune from mediation and hub.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 10:02 AM, dlclark97 said:

Comparing the Skytrain projects to the London  underground tube system is like comparing apples and oranges.  The London tube system is not an eyesore and does not disrupt traffic flow.  It's a great people mover.

I have to assume that you have never used or even seen the London tube.

Have to admit, at times it can be an uplifting experience.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:57 PM, bimmerbob said:

He is simply stating that Covid has exposed how much the country relies on exports and tourism.......he is not on anything!!

Exactly. What about the oil producing countries that have caught a cold, Thailand is a lot better off than them.

Iraq has just devalued, something we can only dream about.

On 12/21/2020 at 1:39 AM, sandyf said:

Exactly. What about the oil producing countries that have caught a cold, Thailand is a lot better off than them.

Iraq has just devalued, something we can only dream about.

Sorry, don't understand the context, unless you are hurting because of the exchange rate what really is your point?

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

Your words

"what really is your point?"

The point had already been made by someone else, I only confirmed the point. The answer to your question lies in the post I responded to.

Why then are you responding to me if you are confirming someone else's point?

Stop creating riddles and confusion.....

13 hours ago, bimmerbob said:

Why then are you responding to me if you are confirming someone else's point?

Stop creating riddles and confusion.....

Try looking in the mirror, why make this post in the first place when I was responding to someone else.

"Sorry, don't understand the context, unless you are hurting because of the exchange rate what really is your point?"

On 12/25/2020 at 3:02 AM, sandyf said:

Try looking in the mirror, why make this post in the first place when I was responding to someone else.

"Sorry, don't understand the context, unless you are hurting because of the exchange rate what really is your point?"

I concluded not to drag myself down to your level by discussing any further.

On 12/19/2020 at 5:54 PM, Shiver said:

5G scares me. Reminds me of involuntarily sticking your head in a microwave and there's nowhere to run to get away from it. Why not use more fibre cable and stick with 4G which has a longer range?

120 years ago people said the same thing about electricity.

There are no health risks of 5G.