Nana P. pricing itself out of the market?

DUS

8 minutes ago, Susco said:

Didn't realize that there are so many sad and confused people on this forum who can't stand the truth, and most likely  are those that were directed in my comment.

I looked at the names of those that gave me confused and sad emoji's, and not sure if it is a coincidence, but most of them are also active as proponents in the Brexit threads

image.png.e315ce3d3e6d93e9bdf8a72f457b45fb.png

I guess in England they don't know the concept of going out and having drinks with pretty girls.

If they want to see pretty girls they better drink beer at home and and watch videos from Thailand.

main-qimg-b1fba0d28aee5ef87ae2b669ba73b8

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

believe it or not, heavy drinking every day isn't healthy, I guess many ran out of money partially due to the drinking and knock on consequences

The problem with Bangkok, in particular, isn't just the alcohol though. The air quality is an understated factor in the quality of health. Isn't it said being in the more central areas equates to a 20 cigarettes a day?  (And it shouldn't be assumed that the people I knew/know were hitting the bars or 7-11's every day in all cases.)  I suppose another case could be made for the quality of food eaten but that may stay too far from the initial topic.

24 minutes ago, allanos said:

You obviously don't understand the cultural difference.  In a British pub, once you've got enough Newcastle Brown Ale inside you, these four ladies will look every bit as good as Thai go-go girls, and will be a lot cheaper than paying a BF in Nana Plaza! ????

I remember that concept from back home.

It also reminds me of my friend who always drunk half a bottle of whisky before he went out to make sure the women look better. One time he told me that when he woke up one weekend he discovered that the woman next to him was older than his mother. He stopped drinking after that incident - at least for a while.

• Haha 2

On 12/19/2020 at 1:20 AM, ThaIrish Sean said:

Well done for voting with your feet. I remember 5 years ago having small bottles of Singha in the afternoon at country road, soi cowboy. Playing pool with a couple of friends when one of them said we're getting charged 180 baht!!!

We voted with our feet and did not leave any tip.

lol, have you ever left a tip?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, allanos said:

You obviously don't understand the cultural difference.  In a British pub, once you've got enough Newcastle Brown Ale inside you, these four ladies will look every bit as good as Thai go-go girls, and will be a lot cheaper than paying a BF in Nana Plaza! ????

but then you have to add the costs of getting rid of the myriad of STD's you'll probably have..

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

I guess you missed the Happy Hour from opening till 9pm all drinks half price, black soda coke 80b. Country roads has always been a place for reasonable drinks. 

It was a surprise to me as I've had many a good night in there. Why in the afternoon where the prices so expensive?

I have been back since...... After checking the drinks menu before I walk in ????

Edited by ThaIrish Sean

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The problem with that concept is that many cheap Charlies leave the moment the normal prices start again or they order 3 beers 5 minutes before the end of happy hour. 

7-11 sell large Leo for 55bht, presumably they make a profit from it, they can't be paying any more rent than the bars as they are in the same street ......... so why does the bar need to sell at much higher prices? The hooker bar staff make a profit for the bar, so it can't be their wages upping the prices and the normal staff are usually fewer in number than the 7-11 staff.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

7-11 sell large Leo for 55bht, presumably they make a profit from it, they can't be paying any more rent than the bars as they are in the same street ......... so why does the bar need to sell at much higher prices? The hooker bar staff make a profit for the bar, so it can't be their wages upping the prices and the normal staff are usually fewer in number than the 7-11 staff.

the answer in a word; economics.

Hmm...meanwhile in the backwater that is Isaan the bars and karaoke places continue much the same as usual.

The karaoke places usually charge 100 Baht for a large bottle of beer. There is no such things as bar girl drinks. The girls will normally drink from your bottles. A small girl might take less that a bottle or so to get roaring drunk and loose all inhibitions. 100 Baht is an ample tip for a good night.  

On 12/19/2020 at 3:25 AM, Ron jeremy said:

Nothing more than a Facebook picture 

I highly doubt anymore than 1-2 in this picture were actually there

been there

i call BS

lineups are dire at the moment 

Then try Patpong, was there Friday but did not go in the bars but looked  ( was meeting  a friend there) had a lot of dancers in bars with some real lookers available.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:03 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Please ask an insider about how much rent and key money these places pay. I know a few bar owners and I know some numbers and they are shocking. No, I won't publish them here.

Fair enough, hence the reason for the OP, "pricing themselves out of the market" quote. The customers are not obliged to pay for their high rents. The diehards will still go and pay, but with the strength of the baht & increasing pricing, quite a lot will choose other places to spend their hard earned.

Edited by Straight8
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

just count the number of customers going in and out of the 7 and you will have your answer... the bar may get one customer for every 20-30 at 7... and of course, it is not just beer... Thai spend 30 baht for dinner and 150 baht on snacks at 7... 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Spatiumus said:

Why? No one knows it'd have come from you, you're anonymous! 

If it's so confidential that you're not prepared to back it up after announcing it on a public forum, why even mention it, that doesn't give your assertion any crediblity.  It's ironic that you're asking me if I understand the concept of confidentiality when it is you who brought up the subject using "confidential" information on a public forum.

If a bar owner really gave you that much specific information in a bar that he wanted to be private why would he tell you in the first place?  Doesn't make any sense.  I'm not doubting that the speculation may be correct but I am doubting that bar owners are actually confirming that information to their customers, you, and expecting it to not be discussed.

Some people behave the way they think is right not merely avoiding criminal activity if they think they might be caught.  For some their word is important, others on the other hand have no integrity.  When doing business of choosing friends I know which I prefer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PhilippBKK said:

The future of Nana Plaza is pretty clear: Redevelopment into either a hotel, or more likely, a luxury condominium......

Maybe yes but maybe No. One thing is for sure and that is soi 4 could do with some refurbishment and planning because if daylight it is a not too pretty to say the least. Increasing paving width long the Stumble Inn side up to the Ibis/Novotel would be a good start.

The plaza itself (include the other entertainment zones) and businesses within are now rather archaic and tired. (And this was evident pre-covid as for many years as the customer base eroded as the Baht strengthened against the home currency.) What could replace them in the Plaza is anyone's guess but more mainstream bars akin to "Country Road" on Soi Cowboy would not surprise me along with maybe dedicated eateries springing up within.

On 12/19/2020 at 1:37 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

If you want cheap beer why don't you go to 7/11?

What's so difficult to understand about the fact that the bars want to make money? And they have huge fix costs every month, the whole year around. 

No bar makes good money these days. As far as I know best case the bars break even in the moment - that's best case.

TV's ever vigilant "rip-off posse"  holds firmly that anything priced more than it was in 2008 is nothing short of larceny and that the ladies should be grateful for a B20 tip for sitting next and providing a bit of company. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dddave said:

the ladies should be grateful for a B20 tip for sitting next and providing a bit of company

I didn't see it for some time but I remember when some guys tried to give the ladies 20B tip on stage and the ladies gave him this disgusting look "how dare you".

And then a minute later someone throws a handful of table tennis balls at the girls and they are super-active to get one, they almost fight with each other. For what? 20B per ball. ???? 

• Like 2