A slightly different one regards COE.

I have a retirement extension originally from an 'O' visa from many years ago renewed annually.

I also have the multi entry permit and I have my health insurance through Pacific Cross in Thailand.

However, when I did my policy, I never bothered with the 40,000 out patients cover because I knew I would always pay for any small expenses such as OPD.

If  I leave and go to Cambodia or the UK, for a short visit, will I need to get extra cover or another policy for 40,000 OPD, to be able to obtain the COE?

I don't need advice on Covid tests or 14 days quarantine at both ends, only the above point regarding the COE.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Scouse123

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

To get a COE you must show 40k of outpatient insurance coverage and at least 400k baht on inpatient coverage.

And the $100,000 covid 19 surance.

so you would always need that insurance even if you can arrive on visa excempt?

rick

7 minutes ago, rickthailand said:

so you would always need that insurance even if you can arrive on visa exempt?

No That insurance is only needed if you have a OA visa, Non-O visa or a extension of stay based upon retirement or if applying for the special tourist visa (STV).

For a visa exempt entry you only need the covid 19 insurance.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

To get a COE you must show 40k of outpatient insurance coverage and at least 400k baht on inpatient coverage.

Got a interesting question from a friend and I don't really know the answer.

He is trying to get a COE in the next few weeks from the Netherlands.

He is married in Thailand to Thai national with all the papers to proof it.

But for convenience he has a retirement extension from Phuket with a re-entry permit. (Never had a non-OA, transferred from married extension to retirement extension)

He has health insurance for more then 500.000 USD with Vovid-19 coverage certificate but NO outpatient coverage.

Does he still require to have the outpatient coverage as he is married to a Thai ?

Would be silly to get a useless Thai insurance only the COE.

5 minutes ago, merijn said:

Does he still require to have the outpatient coverage as he is married to a Thai ?

That would entirely depend upon the embassy approving the COE. Chances are as soon as they notice he has an extension based upon retirement they will want it.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That would entirely depend upon the embassy approving the COE. Chances are as soon as they notice he has an extension based upon retirement they will want it.

Thanks ubonjoe, I will advise him to try it first with his normal insurance as he more then enough time.

If refused he always can get the cheapest insurance only for the COE application.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks,

I have 5 million inpatient and $100K Covid specific, so I will ask Pacific Health if they can do an add on for the out patient for 40K.

Seems daft really when we must also put 800K  more or less permanently on deposit and I would always pay OPD charges as they are negligible  anyway, but their country, their rules I suppose.

30 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Thanks,

I have 5 million inpatient and $100K Covid specific, so I will ask Pacific Health if they can do an add on for the out patient for 40K.

Seems daft really when we must also put 800K  more or less permanently on deposit and I would always pay OPD charges as they are negligible  anyway, but their country, their rules I suppose.

Adding on to the Pacific prime policy will be expensive. LMG do a cheap throw away outpatient policy.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Thanks,

But those requirements are officially only required for a Non-OA visa or extension based on a Non-OA visa.

Non-O visas and extensions based on Non-O don't need the specific health insurance requirements.

Therefore it is strange that the embassy would require it even when the visa or extension has nothing to do with a Non-OA.

I will send Monday a email to my contact at the Thai embassy and ask about this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, merijn said:

Therefore it is strange that the embassy would require it even when the visa or extension has nothing to do with a Non-OA.

Check a few embassy and official Thai consulates you will see it is required to apply for a certificate of entry.

"4. Applicant must have a Thai health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 baht and inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 baht"

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/09/30/nonimmigrantoaox/

It makes me wonder why they dont just change the Police order around insurance for NonO and be done with it? But anyway, as it stands at the moment if one entered on a tourist visa could that be subsequently changed to a non 0 and then extended as per normal and does the reentry permit invalidate this. Then begs the question if the work around is available, why this other approach, perhaps I'll just shake my head at this point. I decided to delay my departure in September til now so I could leave with the extension and a reentry permit in hand, it now appears to be the wrong choice?

22 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

But anyway, as it stands at the moment if one entered on a tourist visa could that be subsequently changed to a non 0 and then extended as per normal and does the reentry permit invalidate this.

If you had a valid re-entry permit to a extension of stay based upon retirement they would probably not accept you application for tourist visa.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you had a valid re-entry permit to a extension of stay based upon retirement they would probably not accept you application for tourist visa.

I suppose I will just have to fork up for the insurance, trying to cancel a reentry permit even if possible would seem like a big call/futile gesture. I suppose that the following extension (early 22) would at this stage be possible without insurance, bizarre.

31 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

I suppose I will just have to fork up for the insurance, trying to cancel a reentry permit even if possible would seem like a big call/futile gesture. I suppose that the following extension (early 22) would at this stage be possible without insurance, bizarre.

The insurance is something that the MFA added into the requirements for an unknown reason. It makes me think the are trying to push people to the OA visa.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Check a few embassy and official Thai consulates you will see it is required to apply for a certificate of entry.

"4. Applicant must have a Thai health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 baht and inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 baht"

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/09/30/nonimmigrantoaox/

That obviously applies to US applications because they only issue the O-A Visa and not the O for retirees.

For citizens of those Embassies that have or do issue the O type Visa, or have an extension from an original Non O and re-entry permit, only the Covid Insurance is a requirement for the COE, or at least it is in the UK.

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That obviously applies to US applications because they only issue the O-A Visa and not the O for retirees.

For citizens of those Embassies that have or do issue the O type Visa, or have an extension from an original Non O and re-entry permit, only the Covid Insurance is a requirement for the COE, or at least it is in the UK.

It is the same on all embassy websites I have looked at except for the UK and they want insurance for a new non-o visa visa application.

"If your visa has expired, you have to apply for a new visa. You must also meet the requirements for non-O visa, with the additional requirement that applicants have health insurance for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht. Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement."

Source: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is the same on all embassy websites I have looked at except for the UK and they want insurance for a new non-o visa visa application.

"If your visa has expired, you have to apply for a new visa. You must also meet the requirements for non-O visa, with the additional requirement that applicants have health insurance for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht. Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement."

Source: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Only if your Visa has expired and applying for a new Visa for entry to Thailand.

If you have a valid Visa or extension of stay with re-entry permit, only the Covid Insurance is required to obtain the COE.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Only if your Visa has expired and applying for a new Visa for entry to Thailand.

If you have a valid Visa or extension of stay with re-entry permit, only the Covid Insurance is required to obtain the COE.

That is correct in the UK but not others.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Being from the US, you obviously wouldn't be aware of any UK 'slang' then.

The OP is from Liverpool in the UK and 'Scouse' (his username) is a slang name for those from Liverpool.

As he has an extension with re-entry permit, if he returned from the UK, he would only require the Covid Insurance for the COE, his current Health Policy being immaterial.

Admit I haven't checked the requirements for re-entry if he visited Cambodia, which was another destination he mentioned.

Why anyone would want to travel outside of Thailand at this current time, unless it was absolutely essential and necessary is beyond me, but each to their own.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

But UbonJoe,

you mentioned I would also need 40K OPD?

I have valid extension with re-entry permit, and Covid at $100K.

Tanoshi,

I don't have the 40K OPD with Pacific Prime and I am sure many members just on renewal won't have as it was considered an unnecessary add on to many members. Only at the Thai government insistence did this 40K outpatient raise its head.

I am not arguing, I will follow another posters advice and just waste money on a throwaway policy from LMG to get the 40K cover.

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Being from the US, you obviously wouldn't be aware of any UK 'slang' then.

The OP is from Liverpool in the UK and 'Scouse' (his username) is a slang name for those from Liverpool.

As he has an extension with re-entry permit, if he returned from the UK, he would only require the Covid Insurance for the COE, his current Health Policy being immaterial.

Admit I haven't checked the requirements for re-entry if he visited Cambodia, which was another destination he mentioned.

Why anyone would want to travel outside of Thailand at this current time, unless it was absolutely essential and necessary is beyond me, but each to their own.

Hi Tanoshi,

With the worsening situation in the UK and a few health issues I have directly related to breathing,(I am officially in the high risk group) I will not be leaving Thailand. I was talking about the near future , about two maybe three months ahead, if things improve dramatically.

Also, Thailand does not seem to be coming up policy wise, with anything clear-cut regards Cambodia. They only talk about strengthening the porous and natural border security.

One would think they would get their policy act together considering the vast majority of migrant workers and those sneaking into the country come from Myanmar and Cambodia.

They have not even listed Cambodia or Myanmar on the countries listed for automatic entry on arrival, when they already have in place bilateral agreements with both these countries.

It just seems to add to the confusion but I have said before, there are too many unofficial sources making statements which give the appearance of being from the government.

Edited by Scouse123

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I don't have the 40K OPD with Pacific Prime and I am sure many members just on renewal won't have as it was considered an unnecessary add on to many members. Only at the Thai government insistence did this 40K outpatient raise its head.

The requirement for Health Insurance covering the 400K inpatient + 40K outpatient is only compulsory for O-A Visa applicants, or subsequent extensions from an O-A Visa, BUT, as UJ has pointed out it is now also required when applying for a new O Visa at various Thai Embassies/Consulates.

(Not to confuse the above with the separate Covid Insurance currently required for all entries)

It is not required for extension applications from Non O Visas, or for re-entry from the UK if holding an existing extension with re-entry permit. 

However whether you choose to have, or not have, a personal Health Insurance Policy when your in the position of it not being a compulsory requirement, is for each individual to evaluate and make their own decision. LMG offer an Insurance Policy which covers the Thai Immigration requirements at very cheap rates, although practical worthless due to the high excess in the event of a claim, but very handy to obtain alongside an existing Health Insurance Policy that does not meet the requirements.

@Peter Deniscan provide further advice and information on compulsory Health Insurance requirements thanks to his very time consuming and extensive research in producing informative 'Roadmaps' available to any member if requested.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1