Just Cancelled True Vision TV, What Alternatives are Available

Pilotman

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but please indulge me.  After fighting with their useless customer service department, I have cancelled my True Vision TV package.  I need an alternative box that gives me access to NFL, Western News, Formula 1, Moto GP, some movies maybe.  I'm not really that interested in anything else on TV.  I have heard that there are a number of set top boxes available that can access TV channels, either by satellite or internet.  I am looking for a 'one off' solution, so no monthly payments.  An recommendations please? 

• Thanks 2

I use a kodi box in malaysia, will be the same there.

Paid rm400, think thats around 5000thb? No other payments.

Got about 1000 movies. Lots of tv series. Same shows and tv channels, news and sports as Astro (similar to True). Actually most channels are Astro.

I think its called SVI Kodi. I love it. Plug it in and off u go.

Edit. Think its svi cloud kodi box. Can search youtube to see setup etc.

Edited by Sujo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Install Bluestacks* on your PC, download Mobdro to your desktop and

the drag it into Bluestacks, Mobdro will give you a wide choice of 

channels,  connect your pc if it has HDMI to you Tv,also if it has HDMI port,

that will get you started, it's FREE, there are many others ,just Google ,

live sports are the hardest to find.  * there are other Android emulators.

regards Worgeordie

Is there another way to get this onto a Smart 4K Android TV without using a HDMI lead? My PC is too far away from the TV.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Is there another way to get this onto a Smart 4K Android TV without using a HDMI lead? My PC is too far away from the TV.

Yes ,but it is more difficult you have to download the Mobdro APK with the browser

on your Tv, then you have about another 3-4 processes,to actually get the app to

work,Google how to install Mobdro APK on smart Tv.

regards Worgeordie 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Install Bluestacks* on your PC, download Mobdro to your desktop and

the drag it into Bluestacks, Mobdro will give you a wide choice of 

channels,  connect your pc if it has HDMI to you Tv,also if it has HDMI port,

that will get you started, it's FREE, there are many others ,just Google ,

live sports are the hardest to find.  * there are other Android emulators.

regards Worgeordie

Yeo, sorry to say, that didn't work .  Nothing appearing on Mobdro

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Yes ,but it is more difficult you have to download the Mobdro APK with the browser

on your Tv, then you have about another 3-4 processes,to actually get the app to

work,Google how to install Mobdro APK on smart Tv.

regards Worgeordie 

Thanks, but too complicated for my poor brain.

• Haha 1

Be very careful with Worgeordies fix.  It is obviously okay for him and his systems, but it just played havoc with my PC, so I had to un install it to get things back to normal.  No idea what went wrong, but it clearly is not for me, or my systems.  I may have a setting on the PC that disagrees with Bluestacks or Mobdro or both.  Either way, I can't use it. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

clearly so for me too.  Can't see what's wrong but it doesn't work 

You downloaded Bluestacks to your PC....downloaded Mobdro APK

to the desktop of your PC, scanned it for virus....Then dragged it into

Bluestacks,  so  you have Mobdro on Bluestacks, but nothing working ?

regards worgeordie

• Thanks 1

True Vision what a joke 2800 b a month I went down to MBK and got Android Box for 2800b, All In Mo monthly’s I get everything HBO , Cinemax NFL premier league , and my buddy took his box to Australia works Brilliantly 

Edited by Ireland32
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

True Vision what a joke 2800 b a month I went down to MBK and got Android Box for 2800b, All In Mo monthly’s I get everything HBO , Cinemax NFL premier league , and my buddy took his box to Australia works Brilliantly 

That looks like the simplest and most cost effective solution for me. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, CharlieH said:

Let me know how it goes please and what works for you and I will probably follow suit as True is an attrocious waste of money.

will do. I will go out on  Monday and get a box of some description.  I too have had it with True Vision. 

• Thanks 1

For those from UK.  I have looked into Sky Go, with ExpressVPN.  Cost for the full range of programmers, plus Sky Plus, all sports movies etc, is approx., 17,000 Baht per year. I   Know that sounds a lot, but if you get all the sports you want, on any device, plus TV and you do away with such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, NFL Game Pass etc , the cost does come down in relative terms.  You end up with circa 280 channels.  It's an idea, albeit a quite expensive one. Just to add, its still cheaper than True Vison's full package and you don't get a lot of useless channels that you will never watch. 

Edited by Pilotman

I'm so glad I dropped TRUE TV as my final disconnection with all of their services. Formula 1 I get on Sophon. Paid $199 for the NFL Game Pass and probably cheaper now over halfway through the season. A long queue of foreign movies to watch on Youtube and will sign up for the Premium service once the NFL season is over.

15 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I'm so glad I dropped TRUE TV as my final disconnection with all of their services. Formula 1 I get on Sophon. Paid $199 for the NFL Game Pass and probably cheaper now over halfway through the season. A long queue of foreign movies to watch on Youtube and will sign up for the Premium service once the NFL season is over.

Just signed up to Game Pass, $69 for the rest of this short season.  Good value .  I am rediscovering 'A Football Life', great series  

Edited by Pilotman

Pilot man, not sure where you are but if you Google magicsee TV box then you'll see what I have, I have an acquaintance in Pattaya who can supply a box fully loaded for about 4k baht with after sales service, just plug into an HDMI port and away you go.

If you put TV series into favourites everytime a new episode airs its added automatically, I've seen all the latest movies in HD.

PM me with your number if interested and I can get him to call you.

• Like 1

A simple way, if you don't mind not seeing your sports live, is to download the games or races using bittorrents.  uTorrent is one of the most popular torrent download programs for PCs.  One note of caution, at this time downloading torrents in Thailand doesn't seem to be a problem but if you are concerned then invest in a top quality VPN.

There are small Minix Windows 10 based PC boxes available through Lazada that you can use, but most lack sufficient RAM, so they are under powered, and in my opinion they are over priced.  The Minix Neo Z83-4 Pro is the best choice from Minix and sells for about 7000 Bt on Lazada.  To me a better choice for a Windows 10 based system is to pick up a small desktop or laptop with a good quad core processor and 16-32 GB of ram. You can then use the desktop/laptop computer to both download torrents and play them using the VLC video player program.  Even a secondhand computer that is only a few years old is a good choice.

If you decide on a Windows 10 computer you can pay for HD internet streaming subscriptions to watch many sports, movie channels, etc.

Another option has already been mentioned, get an Android box.  If you do this be sure to get a box with 4 GB or more of ram, which is what you need for versions of Android newer than version 7 to work efficiently.  An example of a popular android box in Thailand is the "H96 MAX PLUS Smart TV BOX Android 9.0 OS 4GB RAM 32GB/64GB ROM RK3328 Quad Core 1080P 4K H.265 WiFi 2.4G/5G BT4.0 Google Player Store Netflix Youtube Set Top Box PK MXQ PRO", which costs around 1290 Bt.  The "H96 Pro Plus 32Gb+3Gb Amlogic S912 H96 Pro+ Octa Core Android 7.1 2.4G/5Ghz Wifi 4K Bt 4.1 Kdoi (sic) 17.1 Smart Android Tv Box" is also available for around 2400 Bt.  Updating Android is simple as long as you have the necessary RAM.

I just ordered the H96 MAX PLUS while writing this.

Lazada - H96 MAX PLUS Smart TV BOX Android 9.0

Some computer shops will sell you an Android box with preloaded programs such as Kodi and Mobdro, some will even sell them with pirate TV streaming programs or paid subscription streaming applications for specific sports such as baseball, hockey, etc.

With either a small box PC or Android box you should pick up a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to use with them.

With an Android box there are a number of applications such as Mobdro that you can use to watch many TV or internet programs live.  The biggest problems you run into is that many of the streaming internet channels they have come with advertising, are not HD, or they drop out.  I found this to be a big problem with Sky F1.  I could watch the prequalifying or prerace shows just fine but so many viewers tried to watch the actual qualifying or the race shows that the streaming channel servers became overloaded an started stopping or completely dropping out.  There are Android applications for streaming TV, including subscriptions ones, that you won't find on Google PlayStore but be careful of these.  Unless it is a legitimate source, e.g. Netflix, or you have a friend that has used an application and can recommend it don't put it on your Android box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

will do. I will go out on  Monday and get a box of some description.  I too have had it with True Vision. 

True must be as bad as astro in malaysia. Waste of money and a million ads before the next show. Total waste.

I am in no way savvy to all these internet things but found the kodi boxes, and similar so easy to use. 

Its scary at first to see a different set up than you are used to but it realy is easy and you wont be disappointed to use them.

I get lots of malay and chinese channels also. But u find the channels u like and hold the enter button and it saves to favourites. Makes it so simple. Also has vid on demand.

Its a new life.

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I too had just about had it with True and I do have an Android box but have a real hard time using it.  My biggest problem for the items that I prefer to watch using their Gold package is that they are all on at random times throughout the day and night that I would miss many of them.  My solution was to add a TVR.  You can search True for the program you like and then record either the individual program or push the button one more time and it will record the whole series whenever it is on.  Then I can watch what I want at my leisure.  And, if you have to leave in the middle of a broadcast program you wan just record it and continue watching when you return.  Easy, a hard drive and docking station is all you need then just call True to have them turn this feature on.  A phone call is all that is needed, no service call to your home.  Power Buy has the hardware.

If you are looking for total reliability with almost zero buffering, all sports, all Sky including movies etc etc invest 1000 Baht per month and get Pulse TV. I’ve tried all the free stuff including Mobdro, LiveNet TV etc but the free stuff isn’t reliable.

• Like 2