Thailand reports biggest coronavirus surge, over 500 cases - Samut Sakhon placed in to lockdown

Jonathan Fairfield

Somebody dropped the Covid ball big time while resting on their laurels thinking that they got this thing beat, and to thing that i'm buying seafood products at my local market not knowing who handled it...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1

Welcome to the world Thailand .

Is it bad , nobody knows . Some countries have for the amounts of positive test much larger hospital admissions , while the country next has got about the same infection ratio or even higher with less "sick" people . This is something yet unknown on how or what or why ( bloodtype is known already , and so is vitamin D ) . So will Thailand have a problem or not , that is totally a mystery .

What i can tell is with 50% of the tested being confirmed positive , there are a lot more which they did not find , and in the case of +500 of 1100 , i'd say that it is spreading as i'm typing now.  Forget the travelling , is wasn't happening soon , and there is light in the end of the tunnel showing . In 6 months the world should look a lot brighter then today .

2 hours ago, AmySeeker said:

India's rates have fallen lower than most European countries . When you factor in the size of their population (over a billion) they have barely any corona at all.

Possibly. I haven't looked at any figures but that isn't really the point. The virus clearly does spread in hot countries.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pegman said:

This situation is in greater Bangkok. Have you ever been on the MRT during rush times? This could easily get out of control quickly. 

Migrant workers and others in the shrimp industry rarely if ever use the MRT or BTS...not worried...ride everyday

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I sincerely hope you're correct. However, that point was speculated on earlier in the pandemic - then Brazil happened. Brazil is a hot country with temperatures comparable with Thailand.

Brazil yesterday: 52,385 new infections/811 new deaths/ 185,687 deaths in total.

www.worldometers.com

Then of course, there's India.

I believe the population density and incidence of poverty is much higher in ???????? than ????????, especially in the slums and favelas of Manaus, where Brazil's outbreak has been been centered.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

People need to put this story into context. The numbers are being uncovered due to contact tracing not recently introduced mass testing of the population. There has been a chain of tracing migrant workers from a cluster in Bangkok to Samut Sahkon. Most of the cases are literally in one apartment block where migrant workers live.

To a certain extent, migrant workers are a closed group, they all live, eat, sleep in an apartment complex and all work across the road in the seafood processing factory.

This is an outbreak and can literally be traced back to other clusters and imported from Myamar. Its not proof positive that Thailand has been hiding cases and actual numbers etc.

Similar to the migrant worker outbreak in Singapore at the start of the epidemic...they were locked down and there wasn't a more generalized spread to the general population. 

• Like 2