Open-concept - is that concept known in Thailand?

When I found my current apartment I looked at studios and one bedroom apartments. I chose a studio because I like a lot more the idea about one big room compared to two or more smaller rooms.

Now I am looking for a bigger place. It seems many apartments (condominiums for rent or sale) have many small rooms - or they are bigger and very expensive.

Today I found by accident the term open-concept which seems to be used for homes or apartments with basically one big room. Here is a sample picture and a link.

30+ Gorgeous Open Floor Plan Ideas - How to Design Open-Concept Spaces (elledecor.com)

Do apartments like that exist in Bangkok? I think about maybe 70-100 sqm open-concept without walls.

cbc5f7bf0ebb5a19c97e9847d2ea7e90.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

In New York City they were called lofts, because they were mostly converted factory space.  I haven't seen anything like that in BKK, but I did look at a unit in this building that more open than the typical apartment.

Not bad, until I looked at their website: Starting price 33,500,000 B

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Space isn't cheap.  Well, what you find on the website is going to be the old, pre-Covid asking price.  What's your price range?  Perhaps you could lowball a few similar apartments and maybe hit a "motivated" seller.

I think the architectural and real estate term would be "open plan". Works for a house as most actual cooking in Thailand is done outside. Inside kitchens are more for show or used as a wet bar.

Condo? you'd need a kick-as extraction fan.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I think the architectural and real estate term would be "open plan". Works for a house as most actual cooking in Thailand is done outside. Inside kitchens are more for show or used as a wet bar.

Condo? you'd need a kick-as extraction fan.

where can I find a kick as extraction, the condo has the kitchen in on side and the windows on the opposite side, need to extract the smoke/smell/steam from one side to the opposite side (around 3 meters) but  would appreciate a good way of hiding any pipes/tubes or am I asking for the impossible

I talked about condo sizes on another thread recently.   The trend with new condo projects, even those considered to be luxury projects, is smaller unit sizes but the projects have tons of amenities for the residents.  You can see this with new projects in Bangkok, as well as the new ones in Pattaya, such as the Riviera projects.

It used to be condos would have a pool and sometimes a gym, too.  The new projects have outdoor theaters, jogging tracks, boxing rings, private massage/spa rooms, sky lounges with kitchens, golf simulators, libraries, putting greens, yoga rooms, kid's play rooms,  large lobbies, co-working spaces, and much more.

Recently my partner and I toured a new project in Bangkok.  Amenities galore.  However, the largest condo unit size available was a 2 bedroom for 61 sqm.  Most of the units were 1 bedrooms of around 35 sqm.  Contrast that with the older condo project I live at.  The project's smallest unit is 64 sqm. 

The other trend we have noticed is that when you get into the 45 sqm range, instead of having a slightly more spacious 1 bedroom unit with a larger  living room and bedroom than a 35 sqm 1 bedroom, they have cut up the space into even smaller rooms with either a second bedroom or what they call a 'bonus' room.  Anything 50 sqm and up is likely 2 bedrooms rather than a 1 bedroom with fewer but larger rooms.   The Cliff Condo in Pattaya, built in 2013, has a spacious 70 sqm 1 bedroom option.  In a new condo project of today,  that space would likely be a 3 bedroom design with small rooms.

I think your best bet would be to look at condo projects built 5 to 10 years ago.  The condos are likely to be bigger and the spaces less cut up.  One Bangkok project you might check out is Circle Living Prototype.  It has an innovative (hence the Prototype name) design with movable walls that allow you to open up the spaces.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The photo says for rent. $1,000,000 monthly? My head is spinning.

39 minutes ago, newnative said:

I talked about condo sizes on another thread recently.   The trend with new condo projects, even those considered to be luxury projects, is smaller unit sizes but the projects have tons of amenities for the residents.  You can see this with new projects in Bangkok, as well as the new ones in Pattaya, such as the Riviera projects.

It used to be condos would have a pool and sometimes a gym, too.  The new projects have outdoor theaters, jogging tracks, boxing rings, private massage/spa rooms, sky lounges with kitchens, golf simulators, libraries, putting greens, yoga rooms, kid's play rooms,  large lobbies, co-working spaces, and much more.

Recently my partner and I toured a new project in Bangkok.  Amenities galore.  However, the largest condo unit size available was a 2 bedroom for 61 sqm.  Most of the units were 1 bedrooms of around 35 sqm.  Contrast that with the older condo project I live at.  The project's smallest unit is 64 sqm. 

The other trend we have noticed is that when you get into the 45 sqm range, instead of having a slightly more spacious 1 bedroom unit with a larger  living room and bedroom than a 35 sqm 1 bedroom, they have cut up the space into even smaller rooms with either a second bedroom or what they call a 'bonus' room.  Anything 50 sqm and up is likely 2 bedrooms rather than a 1 bedroom with fewer but larger rooms.   The Cliff Condo in Pattaya, built in 2013, has a spacious 70 sqm 1 bedroom option.  In a new condo project of today,  that space would likely be a 3 bedroom design with small rooms.

I think your best bet would be to look at condo projects built 5 to 10 years ago.  The condos are likely to be bigger and the spaces less cut up.  One Bangkok project you might check out is Circle Living Prototype.  It has an innovative (hence the Prototype name) design with movable walls that allow you to open up the spaces.  

Reminds me of a girl I saw that used her small bedroom as a walk-in closet and had her bed in the living area. More than 1 way to skin a cat. So to speak.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mavideol said:

where can I find a kick as extraction, the condo has the kitchen in on side and the windows on the opposite side, need to extract the smoke/smell/steam from one side to the opposite side (around 3 meters) but  would appreciate a good way of hiding any pipes/tubes or am I asking for the impossible

an extractor would help of course, but it must really be "kick-ass". IMO none of the kitchen hoods sold in stores bring enough power. look for a professional one.