MSG in food - really nothing to worry about

TimBKK

27 minutes ago, onebir said:

A lot of Chinese people (!) are quite wary of it. Mostly they think it's damaging long term, but I've seen one or two friends get obvious acute reactions (one needed help walking home after some MSG-dusted kebabs!).

That was my reaction after eating Thai food 2 days in a row after arriving in Thailand for my first time.  Was walking along and all of the sudden it felt like my joints were full of broken glass.  Sat down for a rest and when I tried to get up I could barely walk.  Made it back to the guest house with the help of my brother.  Could barely make it up the stairs.  My hands and feet had swollen up so badly I couldn’t see the tendons (and I’m a wiry guy).  My brother said that he’d bet that I was allergic to MSG. Took 2 days to recover.  I looked up the adverse reactions online and the list was longer than what you’d see in a prescription drug pamphlet.  From then on, I learned to order my food without it (and how to say it in Thai).  Have tried it again a few times after that and had the same reaction, but milder as I didn’t eat it for 5 meals in a row.  So...for me...nasty stuff.  But damn...it makes the food taste good. 

8 minutes ago, Airalee said:

That was my reaction after eating Thai food 2 days in a row after arriving in Thailand for my first time.  Was walking along and all of the sudden it felt like my joints were full of broken glass.  Sat down for a rest and when I tried to get up I could barely walk.  Made it back to the guest house with the help of my brother.  Could barely make it up the stairs.  My hands and feet had swollen up so badly I couldn’t see the tendons (and I’m a wiry guy).  My brother said that he’d bet that I was allergic to MSG. Took 2 days to recover.  I looked up the adverse reactions online and the list was longer than what you’d see in a prescription drug pamphlet.  From then on, I learned to order my food without it (and how to say it in Thai).  Have tried it again a few times after that and had the same reaction, but milder as I didn’t eat it for 5 meals in a row.  So...for me...nasty stuff.  But damn...it makes the food taste good. 

I am not to sure if it makes food taste good it is used to soften meat and maybe other stuff

11 minutes ago, Airalee said:

That was my reaction after eating Thai food 2 days in a row after arriving in Thailand for my first time.  Was walking along and all of the sudden it felt like my joints were full of broken glass.  Sat down for a rest and when I tried to get up I could barely walk.  Made it back to the guest house with the help of my brother.  Could barely make it up the stairs.  My hands and feet had swollen up so badly I couldn’t see the tendons (and I’m a wiry guy).  My brother said that he’d bet that I was allergic to MSG. Took 2 days to recover.

That's way worse than my friend; she just felt dizzy, and recovered in a few hours...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I am not to sure if it makes food taste good it is used to soften meat and maybe other stuff

It’s a flavor enhancer.  Try some krapow with it and without it.  You’ll see what I mean.

MSG is used in cooking as a flavor enhancer with an umami taste that intensifies the meaty, savory flavor of food, as naturally occurring glutamate does in foods such as stewsand meat soups.[4][5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Flavor enhancer to the sellers but a neurotoxin for medical practitioners. It's a toxin to the brain.

So is salt , and many other food stuff . Even water is toxic if you drink to much . There is no evidence that MSG is harmful in any way . Some people have higher respons to it , so do have some people on peanuts or shrimps .

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Flavor enhancer to the sellers but a neurotoxin for medical practitioners. It's a toxin to the brain.

Alcohol is a toxin too but once in a while I like a glass of port or maybe a beer.  

Even as someone who gets severe reactions to MSG if I eat too much, I would prefer to leave it up to the individual to choose whether or not they want it and not ban it.  I know many people who love it, have no acute reactions to it and if they choose to poison themselves....up to them.  As long as there is “truth in labeling”,  and restaurants have to divulge that they use it (I know....they don’t, but it’s easy to order without it as I usually do)...then I prefer the “live and let live” approach.  Agree completely that it’s nasty stuff however.

• Like 2

funny, people ingest all sorts of crazy stuff in their system, yet some worry about MSG.

In the case of the open markets, that meat sits out all day unrefridgerated.

Do you think thats got nothing in it?

In that case, whatever that use there is a lot better than the alternative of stuff going rotten.

In many of our countries MSG use is banned, yet they allow it in corn chips and snacks and many other things, and no-one says zip about it.

I think people have the thought instilled in their mind  that it will give them dry throat, so thats what they get.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The stuff gives me insomnia.

Some eateries use too much of it, perhaps by accident.  When I first learned about it, some years ago when it was called "aji no moto," it was from recipes in Chinese cookbooks, and even for a whole pot of food (like 6+ portions) it would never call for more than 1/4 teaspoon.  I believe that if it is to be used at all it should only be in tiny amounts, the idea is not to actually taste it.  In SEA and Egypt I've been in situations where I thought the food was too salty, and a few minutes another taste emerges and I realize it's MSG and messes up my stomach.

Back in Europe and the Western Hemisphere how many markets actually have a whole section of the stuff?

(pic taken in Indonesia)

msg2.jpg.503a2270f2d888de9f3dd9814ec5e122.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

no evidence on safety so far , while being on the market over 100y . If you think it gives you headaches , it will give you headaches . There's more harmful stuff on your food then MSG , especially in Thailand . Prawns and harvested fish are full with medicines , many vegetables in Thailand have large amount of antifungal and other very harmful substances .

American meat got hormones in it , while known to be certainly no good for you . Theres much more to worry about then a bit of msg .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sezze said:

So is salt , and many other food stuff . Even water is toxic if you drink to much . There is no evidence that MSG is harmful in any way . Some people have higher respons to it , so do have some people on peanuts or shrimps .

LOL. Salt is not a neurotoxin. I have already provided a link to medical studies to prove that it is a neurotoxin which means it's a toxin to the brain.

Of course, this is NOT the only proof, you can google for more.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

The stuff gives me insomnia.

Some eateries use too much of it, perhaps by accident.  When I first learned about it, some years ago when it was called "aji no moto," it was from recipes in Chinese cookbooks, and even for a whole pot of food (like 6+ portions) it would never call for more than 1/4 teaspoon.  I believe that if it is to be used at all it should only be in tiny amounts, the idea is not to actually taste it.  In SEA and Egypt I've been in situations where I thought the food was too salty, and a few minutes another taste emerges and I realize it's MSG and messes up my stomach.

Back in Europe and the Western Hemisphere how many markets actually have a whole section of the stuff?

(pic taken in Indonesia)

In all Asian countries, most people don't know about the bad effects of MSG, that's why they put loads of MSG into their food.

MSG was created by the Japanese. Ajinomoto is a Japanese word.

The people in these asian countries may have headaches later or other reactions which the 'doctors' shrugged off with pain-killers.

For those who know how to read medical reports, it is a neurotoxin. 

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Airalee said:

Alcohol is a toxin too but once in a while I like a glass of port or maybe a beer.  

Alcohol is a liver toxin and not neurotoxin. It destroys liver cells which try to purge the toxin away.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/alcohol-related-liver-disease-arld/

However, liver cells can regenerate itself unless it is severely damaged through years of abuse which will lead to liver cancer.

Edited by EricTh

37 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Alcohol is a liver toxin and not neurotoxin. It destroys liver cells which try to purge the toxin away.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/alcohol-related-liver-disease-arld/

However, liver cells can regenerate itself unless it is severely damaged through years of abuse which will lead to liver cancer.

Studies clearly indicate that alcohol is neurotoxic, with direct effects on nerve cells. Chronic alcohol abusers are at additional risk for brain injury from related causes, such as poor nutrition, liver disease, and head trauma. The potential cost to society of alcohol-induced brain damage is enormous.”

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/10report/chap02e.pdf

I’m not arguing about what’s good or bad.  Many things are bad for us.  Seems like the things that are big moneymakers either via taxes or corporate profits get a pass.  All the others get banned.  We can choose to be as healthy as possible yet we will still be taxed indirectly to take care of people who don’t choose to be healthy.  Just seems to be the way things are.  Life will go on.

• Thanks 1

Apart from having a sleepless night I can't really attribute any after effects to MSG.

But there is something in some Thai food that will give me a very severe headache for 48 hours. No matter how many Sara or Brufen I take it will not go away.

Twice i have had the experience  after eating at Tesco Lotus food halls, so I won't eat there anymore. I have a feeling that it is a brown or red dye added to the food, but to be honest I don't know. 

When my wife cooks the same dishes at home there is no problem, so it is something that is being added in the commercial environment.

Maybe some people just don't want to have MSG it in their food for whatever reason.

Same with people who are allergic to nuts etc.

Anyway it's already hard to avoid when eating outside or convenience food.

Therefore, if I cook at home I don't want to use it then.