PCR test 72 hours before departure... how is that possible?

12 minutes ago, JHicks said:

Sounds like you're there then. The fit to fly is easy - I think you can even do it by phone or zoom. In fact, there were reports of some places doing a combined fit to fly and test result that was knocked back on the grounds that two separate certificates are required, so it's probably better this way.

Passporthealth provides BOTH a covid test report AND a Fit to Fly cert for US$ 225... but only claims 48-72 hr turnaround

Edited by Mai mee

5 minutes ago, George36 said:

Okay, my 72 hour window is Sunday 11:05 p.m. through Eva Air departing LAX at 11:05 p.m. Wednesday.  

I drive up to LA, 90 minutes, on Monday to get the test.  Results come back Monday evening or Tuesday morning,  24 hours.  Good to go.

If 48 hours, results come back Wednesday morning, 12 hours before flight. Good to go.

Does this compute?  5555

Thanks

https://www.myconciergemd.com/online-scheduling-checkout/

Rapid COVID-19 PCR Swab 

Rule out active infection – $225 – We usually provide results in 24 hours or less but it may take up to 48 hours.

Sundays – All RT-PCR specimen collections on Sundays are processed Monday morning with results released later in the day or night on Monday. 

Yes that computes BUT they need a separate visit with the doctor in a different office from the testing office, PLUS an extra $300 for the Fit to Fly so $525 (plus tax I'm sure) and two visits to different offices to get everything you need to board the flight. It WILL work but it ain't cheap and it ain't easy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

Passporthealth provides BOTH a covid test report AND a Fit to Fly cert... but only claims 48-72 hr turnaround

Yeah, you wouldn't take that risk though, would you? I'm sure you're right that there would have been reports if people have been turned away because the test date was outside the 72 hours. That assumes that the certificates usually show both dates, but it sounds like they do (mine does). Saying that, there have been a couple of reports of people ahead in the queue being turned away for reasons that the poster didn't quite hear. Another suggestion has been that they equate 72 hours with 3 days, so if e.g. you get tested on Monday morning and fly on Thursday evening you're OK. Even so, in your shoes I would go straight for the same day option.

52 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

Thx srowndedby,  myconcierge can do it pretty fast but expensive 225 for covid test PLUS $300 for Fit to Fly certificate but they're a hole card that CAN get it done quickly if I can't find a cheaper option by my travel date in mid Jan.

https://chooseserenity.com/covid states that if you are tested before 12p.m. you will receive test results the same day by midnight. If you test after 12p.m. you will receive test results the next day by noon. They charge $185.

Here is one Fit-to-fly option:

$70 with several L.A. locations; http://wellnessmart.com/physicals/

Edited by srowndedbyh2o
  • Like 2

Wow srownds, you're a treasure trove of info...

site says:

$70 Fit to Fly Physicals

Bring two things with you

• Valid photo ID
  • The fit to fly form.

It says bring your fit to fly form... does anyone know where to get this form? ie. download?

Edited by Mai mee
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

Yes that computes BUT they need a separate visit with the doctor in a different office from the testing office, PLUS an extra $300 for the Fit to Fly so $525 (plus tax I'm sure) and two visits to different offices to get everything you need to board the flight. It WILL work but it ain't cheap and it ain't easy.

There is a frequently posted link in the ASQ Facebook group for  a business in Thailand offering "Fit To Fly" certificate after a virtual consultation and downloadable certificate for $15. Sounds dodgy but apparently people are using it and going through. $300 fit to fly cert sounds outrageous for a simple check up, mainly temperature and blood pressure measures.

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

Wow srownds, you're a treasure trove of info...

site says:

$70 Fit to Fly Physicals

Bring two things with you

• Valid photo ID
  • The fit to fly form.

It says bring your fit to fly form... does anyone know where to get this form? ie. download?

You'll find that almost no other country in the world imposes the ridiculous "fit to fly" certificate requirements, so if you go to your normal GPs they have no idea what to check and what the form should contain.

It seems there is no standard form, so after doing quite a few searches I found one which looks not too complicated, and plan to print it and bring it to the medical centre when the time comes.

Another poorly executed bureaucratic obstacle.

36 minutes ago, gearbox said:

There is a frequently posted link in the ASQ Facebook group for  a business in Thailand offering "Fit To Fly" certificate after a virtual consultation and downloadable certificate for $15. ......

This is what the Thai Embassy in my country wrote to me :

• 1. After the receipt of COE, please prepare the additional documents to declare at the check-in counter as follows
  • 1.1 Passport and valid Thai visa/ re-entry permit (if required)
  • 1.2 Certificate of Entry (COE)
  • 1.3 Fit to Fly Health Certificate. (Thailand’s Health Control requires a hard copy version.)
  • 1.4 Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected, using RT-PCR test, issued within 72 hours before departure (in case of connecting flights, before embarkation from initial port).

For the PCR certificate no problem if received by email, but they want that the doctor really visits you when signing the FtF certificate

• Like 1

Thanks again srownded....

I'd like to nominate you for some kind of award for the awesome resources and links you've come up with on this thread vis-a-vis helping others get on a plane out of LA.

Four Gold Stars ????????????????

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, federicoP said:

This is what the Thai Embassy in my country wrote to me :

• 1. After the receipt of COE, please prepare the additional documents to declare at the check-in counter as follows
  • 1.1 Passport and valid Thai visa/ re-entry permit (if required)
  • 1.2 Certificate of Entry (COE)
  • 1.3 Fit to Fly Health Certificate. (Thailand’s Health Control requires a hard copy version.)
  • 1.4 Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected, using RT-PCR test, issued within 72 hours before departure (in case of connecting flights, before embarkation from initial port).

For the PCR certificate no problem if received by email, but they want that the doctor really visits you when signing the FtF certificate

Someone posted this in the ASQ FB Group, and people commented that it is widely accepted...and in a way it does make sense. Fit to fly means you don't have a temperature and can stand on your feet.

I myself plan to visit a medical centre, but will keep this as an emergency option if needed to be issued somewhere in transit. I still have more than 2 weeks from departure, and with the current covid issues in Thailand the fit to fly cert could be my smallest problem.

FB_IMG_1608619991007.jpg

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mai mee said:

Thx srowndedby,  myconcierge can do it pretty fast but expensive 225 for covid test PLUS $300 for Fit to Fly certificate but they're a hole card that CAN get it done quickly if I can't find a cheaper option by my travel date in mid Jan.

Yup, that is who I used and they were on time.  Ya, pricey, but I had been away from my family for 8 months.  Trivial.

• Thanks 1

I think we're all in the same boat, trying to minutely schedule appointments against a time clock and still be able to get to the airport and board a plane. It almost seems like a game show with the Thai audience laughing as we fumble and stumble through an obstacle course... Only a true ninja warrior can pull it off 555.

So we're going to need teamwork to solve the puzzle. ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Yup, that is who I used and they were on time.  Ya, pricey, but I had been away from my family for 8 months.  Trivial.

Thanks for the info.  Can you please describe the timeline that you used them?

Would greatly appreciate you posting a redacted copy of your Fit to Fly and Covid results if possible.  Thanks.  

I leave in three weeks.

Thanks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

Here is their FTF template, minus the letterhead. Do you think this would this be accepted?

I do not know if they will accept the fit to fly certificate; however, they will not accept the fit to fly and the COVID test result on the same document; they want two sepearate documents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

https://chooseserenity.com/covid states that if you are tested before 12p.m. you will receive test results the same day by midnight. If you test after 12p.m. you will receive test results the next day by noon. They charge $185.

Here is one Fit-to-fly option:

$70 with several L.A. locations; http://wellnessmart.com/physicals/

I used Wellnesmart.  Was about 20 minutes turnaround.  There is a nurse on site to take temperature, weight, eye test, health history.  And then a doctor off site reviews and approves.

You have to provide the form for them to fill out, so I used the one referenced by the Embassy and Consulate sites.  I used a pdf editor to put my name, DOB, and a couple other items.  However, the nurse didn't fill out some of the stuff like date and time, Dr. name, so I had to add that when I got home and noticed it.  It was close enough that I could have driven back there, but I didn't want to go back.  So make sure they fill it out before you leave.  I also stapled the receipt onto the form since it had the date and time on it, and things like my name as the "bill to:", fit to fly as the "Item Name" and it also made it look more official, since they just use a stamp to put their name onto the form that has the logo, name, phone, address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2020 at 3:26 AM, KwaiMaiSabai said:

The average turn-around time for PCR testing is about 3 days.

It's not possible to get a PCR test and results within 72 hours. The new "rapid" tests don't count? On some official Thai websites they don't state "PCR" but on others they do state "PCR"

What am I supposed to do? 

What have others done?

Mine was 3 hour turn-around for RT-PCR for $18. It can be done but not everyone is set up for that.

4 hours ago, farang51 said:

I do not know if they will accept the fit to fly certificate; however, they will not accept the fit to fly and the COVID test result on the same document; they want two separate documents.

The Fit to Fly format is OK but should show the report date, not the sample date. You can never say "No Covid" too many times.

39 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

You mind telling us where you got a PCR test in 3 hrs for $18 ? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Peoples Hospital #3 in Changzhou China. ???? 

There may be an idea here though. This is the main infectious disease center for the city and they are really well set up for this kind of testing. Maybe you should ask at whatever the lead hospital in your location is. The problem is not the time to run the test but the number of tests in front of you. The medical staff gets tested in an hour so it can be done.

I was a little lucky in that there is not a pandemic in China now, so the hospital was not overloaded.

22 hours ago, George36 said:

Thanks for the info.  Can you please describe the timeline that you used them?

Would greatly appreciate you posting a redacted copy of your Fit to Fly and Covid results if possible.  Thanks.  

I leave in three weeks.

Thanks.

So the RT-PCR test was actually done in their parking lot if you go to the Beverly Hills office.  They have a station set up and you schedule a test date/time on their website.  Nurse in hazmat gear takes the sample through your rolled down car window.  Results were e-mailed to me within 24hrs.  Make sure the test results date is filled out.  They forgot that one but rectified it within 30 minutes once I called the office (on a Saturday!).  The Fit to Fly is pretty much what is in the response sent right after your inquiry and was also e-mailed to me.  I both done on Fri afternoon for a Monday morning flight.

Edited by DrPhibes
spelling
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, at15 said:

I am planning on doing the Pixel by LabCorp PCR test kit at home and sending back via FedEx. Has anyone done this one? Is it accepted the same as any other PCR test?

great question. this seems like a great option since you can fill in the initial timestamp yourself (?)

On 12/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, George36 said:

Been trying to figure my 72 hour window and options.  My flight departs 11:05 p.m. on a Wednesday.  72 hours back takes me to Sunday night at 11:05 p.m. 

Please pardon me if this has been discussed.  

I get the Covid test on Friday five days p, 120 hours) before the flight but the medical certificate isn’t issued until Monday, less than 72 hours before the flight.

Or, must I take the Covid test within 72 hours of flight AND the medical certificate issued within 72 hours before flight?

You need to ask and get an idea of what your testing clinic says regarding wait time for RESULTS to be issued to you. Usually 48-72hrs. I flew late on a Friday night, I was tested Tuesday morning 11:00am, ( Test sample collections came at 4pm daily to take to Laboratory  ), results were emailed to me Thursday morning. So in my case, I could have possibly been tested Wednesday and results sent Friday before closing time and have result in hand for airline check in but I thought that  Wednesday test was cutting it a bit tight time wise for check in. ( Regarding test results being emailed to you - be sure to check your JUNK BOX, mine was there !!!! ) 

• Like 1