European neighbours shut doors to Britain amid alarm over new coronavirus strain

webfact

32 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Surely the timing of this ban is at least questionable.... Brexit deadline .... come on . The MSM are already calling it the new U.K. variant ???? 

The ban followed new infections. So the timing of the ban is logical.

• Like 1

Nothing to do with a virus, hardball tactics from Macron and the fishing rights. Boris has spooked the world and the EU will see this a perfect tactic to get the deal they want. If Boris crumbles he is gone, leadership challenge and if doesn't the same back benchers will still oust him over tier 4 rules and no vote in parliament.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

And it’s not only Boris and the Brexiteers. Don’t forget about Covid, another good reason. 

Not sure what this has to do with brexit. If Brexit was done it would have been easier to close borders. Now I am not so sure if it can be done. Maybe infectious stuff like this has special laws.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Nothing to do with a virus, hardball tactics from Macron and the fishing rights. Boris has spooked the world and the EU will see this a perfect tactic to get the deal they want. If Boris crumbles he is gone, leadership challenge and if doesn't the same back benchers will still oust him over tier 4 rules and no vote in parliament.

Pff, for a moment I was afraid there had been a mutation in the virus, with especially in the UK many thousands infections.

Thanks for setting me right, and making clear that this travel ban is not related to any virus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not sure what this has to do with brexit. If Brexit was done it would have been easier to close borders. Now I am not so sure if it can be done. Maybe infectious stuff like this has special laws.

Not sure, I think you're very sure: not related to Brexit at all.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Not sure, I think you're very sure: not related to Brexit at all.

Of course I am really sure this has nothing to do with Brexit. Its a new strain its more infectious why would any country import it if it can be stopped. UK is an island its easier to stop travel from there. Though I doubt its full proof. But best not too take too much risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

With a third country it is the easiest to do .... they are so 31 December midnight same as example Pakistan or others ....also still each country has their sovereignty...... different what brexiteers claim  E.U. to be undemocratic 

1 hour ago, david555 said:

And still claiming their soo precious sovereignty  ????, they don't realize the disadvantage of living on an island and hating your closest neighbor ... 

Who are 'they' do you think that everyone in the UK thinks the same and has the same opinions? Different points of view and attitudes exist in every country.  I take it from your spelling that you are from the US? That would explain your thinking but in fact you are wrong 'they' don't hate anyone.  There will no doubt be some people in the UK that don't like the French but ask them why? They don't know.  To the best of my knowledge Napolean and his mates died a long time ago.

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

Who are 'they' do you think that everyone in the UK thinks the same and has the same opinions? Different points of view and attitudes exist in every country.  I take it from your spelling that you are from the US? That would explain your thinking but in fact you are wrong 'they' don't hate anyone.  There will no doubt be some people in the UK that don't like the French but ask them why? They don't know.  To the best of my knowledge Napolean and his mates died a long time ago.

I know there are the 49% surpressed normal behaviour ones , by 52% hard core ones  ...hence my categorizing them as the U.K. 

Realizing almost a Half of Brits are not agreed at all ....

Fault of the 1 vote+ is a majority on such a important desicion ...

But we must dealing with that 52% bunch ...????

13 minutes ago, david555 said:

I know there are the 49% surpressed normal behaviour ones , by 52% hard core ones  ...hence my categorizing them as the U.K. 

Careful, the voting figures for brexit were very similar to the ones in the recent US election but I don't think that everyone who voted for Trump is a lunatic - even though some clearly are.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This same strain has been seen before, in the Netherlands, Denmark and Australia according to these https://www.bbc.com/news/world-55382212

I agree with your sentiment - why did we allow it to be imported into the UK? Only now it seems to be a problem, no problem in Netherlands and Denmark, that's weird.

maybe they are more disciplined on Covid 19 measures from their government ?

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Careful, the voting figures for brexit were very similar to the ones in the recent US election but I don't think that everyone who voted for Trump is a lunatic - even though some clearly are.

So as Trump lost ....Boris would loose also ?

Edited by david555

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

So as Trump lost ....Boris would loose also ?

That is not my point but we are straying off topic.  Just don't put across views that British people all think the same way - they don't, and that's applicable to the people of any country.

People who voted for or against Brexit did so for a variety of reasons.

25 minutes ago, david555 said:

Fault of the 1 vote+ is a majority on such a important desicion ...

That we do agree on.  There are several European countries where it wouldn't have happened - where a large majority is needed to make major changes - some even have more than one vote on major items.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

That is not my point but we are straying off topic.  Just don't put across views that British people all think the same way - they don't, and that's applicable to the people of any country.

People who voted for or against Brexit did so for a variety of reasons.

But the E.U. has to deal only with your leaving ...., so measures are taking only for that at last resort..... 

About U.K. internal differences .... those who make  the mess ....have to  clean up the mess 

Is it worth having a quick stock-take on the Brexit position?  Not directly a Covid issue but related now surely.  It was said that if an agreement wasn't reached by yesterday it would be too late for the EU to get a vote through before the end of the year.  As Boris still hasn't got the guts to bite the bullet, does this mean he has to ask for yet another extension?

7 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Is it worth having a quick stock-take on the Brexit position?  Not directly a Covid issue but related now surely.  It was said that if an agreement wasn't reached by yesterday it would be too late for the EU to get a vote through before the end of the year.  As Boris still hasn't got the guts to bite the bullet, does this mean he has to ask for yet another extension?

Not sure about it .... but i think they vote in HOC a law who does not allow it ..... lol ...

And i sincere hope he does not and end it for us E.U.,

So this farce is all yours U.K...., enjoy it i would say ! As it was your vote your vote , wish , and "democratic wish " from population so called 

Edited by david555

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

Not sure about it .... but i think they vote in HOC a law who does not allow it ..... lol ...

And i sincere hope he does not and end it for us E.U.,

So this farce is all yours U.K...., enjoy it i would say ! As it was your vote your vote , wish , and "democratic wish " from population so called 

No point in dragging up the rights or wrongs of the Brexit result.  We in Britain will live with the consequences and deal with them accordingly.  It is the EU who have said that they will not have time (after yesterdays deadline) to ratify any agreement before the end of the year.  If Johnson had agreed the deal he inevitably will do weeks ago we wouldn't have this situation now.  And nobody is more irritated or embarrassed by it than the British public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

French  can   ....., but can not stop illegals' to follow the law & by so doing  leaving France ????

They control their borders in numbers of ways and fight crime but not in the area of illegal immigration to the UK. They export illegals to the UK and shrug it off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1