Family of British backpacker Amelia Bambridge, 21, who drowned in sea off Cambodia believe her drink was 'spiked' with date rape drug GHB at beach party before he death

geovalin

• Amelia, from Sussex, went missing while backpacking in Asia in October 2019
  • Her body was found in sea a week later and authorities ruled she had drowned
  • After having her remains shipped home, family requested toxicology reports
  • Tests showed 21-year-old had GHB, ecstasy and hallucinogen MDA in her system
  • Mother Linda Schultes requested Cambodian authorities reopen investigation

A British backpacker who died in Cambodia last year had drugs in her system prompting her family to question whether she was spiked before her death.

Amelia Bambridge, 21, disappeared after attending a beach party on the Cambodian island of Koh Rong in October last year.

Her body was discovered floating in the Gulf of Thailand roughly 60 miles away days later and a post-mortem determined that she had drowned.

read more https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9072275/Family-British-backpacker-drowned-Cambodia-believe-drink-spiked-drug-GHB.html

8 hours ago, geovalin said:

Tests showed 21-year-old had GHB, ecstasy and hallucinogen MDA in her system

I think the family has a tough time proving wrong-doing.

She had three different types of party drugs in her system, and, I'm assuming alcohol?

If the autopsy had shown any type of violence, or rape, this case would be a lot easier to prove, but the really strange thing is that her own family had her cremated, before her ashes were sent back to the UK for the autopsy, and that basically closes any possibility of proving any type of illegal activities carried out against her.

RIP, young girl. 

11 hours ago, geovalin said:

A British backpacker who died in Cambodia last year had drugs in her system

Nothing new about that ,there are thousands of backpackers that have some type of drugs in their system .

That doesn't mean that their drinks are Spyked ,It just means that they are are taking all kinds of drugs .

But many parents will not  Admit/Know /Don't believe that their Kids take drugs .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

sad story, but in what part of the universe parents will allow their daughter of 21 travel to Cambodia?

An extremely odd statement. Solders went to war in their late teens. 

I moved to Thailand when I was 22 years old.

It's a sad story if parents are controlling their children when they are 21. Advice, yes, but permission is not needed for an adult at the age of 21. 

Toxicology tests carried out on cremated ashes ????

Can such drugs even survive / be identifiable following the cremation process ?

Is there something missing in the story? did the Family also have blood samples from the initial post mortem ?

I know very sensible young adults, but what happens when they are on the other side of the world, with new friends, partying, having fun, being carefree is anyones guess. 

The GHB part of this article is very alarming, but the article raises more questions of validity - how did they discover GHB ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MasterBaker said:

sad story, but in what part of the universe parents will allow their daughter of 21 travel to Cambodia?

yes sad ! she's 21 out of her parents hands where she may want to go, her decision 

Edited by Mad mick
no reason

I think the parents are wearing rose tinted glasses, When young adults are far away from home on holiday, where nobody knows them or their family, they seem to go over the top on getting off their face, I have never seen it more prevalent than on visits to Cambodia amongst young backpacker groups of new friends, where almost any drug is easily available and they just want to party.  

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Nout said:
14 hours ago, Susco said:

I thought daily mail sources were not allowed on this forum as not credible sources?

Wrong on two counts. It is allowed and it is credible. Perhaps you are thinking of the Guardian.

I noticed already that you are a prolific poster and think you always know it all, now see who is wrong on all accounts

image.png.0e2f46f0372c9ff03927ec9e3eeb2a90.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Susco said:

I noticed already that you are a prolific poster and think you always know it all, now see who is wrong on all accounts

image.png.0e2f46f0372c9ff03927ec9e3eeb2a90.png

I stand corrected. I did know the DM had been cancelled. It is an award winning newspaper famous for its investigative journalism in the tradition of muck raking. It is widely read by millions, including BAME and women and it is very influential. Whether me or you does not like some of its content it never the less remains a bright beacon of free speech and defender of free press which apparently is frowned upon these days. Respectfully to forum members and all concerned: I do not regard censorship or banning of a main stream, middle of the road newspaper as a sign of strength or truth of conviction. That you are correct in this matter is saddening.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

An extremely odd statement. Solders went to war in their late teens. 

I moved to Thailand when I was 22 years old.

It's a sad story if parents are controlling their children when they are 21. Advice, yes, but permission is not needed for an adult at the age of 21. 

I had my 21st  birthday in India when I was  (not) back packing there. However, I was a male and with my girlfriend. In those days with no FB or social media we communicated at two week intervals by 'areogramme/ airmails' picked up from 'posted restantes' at major post offices.

4 hours ago, Nout said:

I stand corrected. I did know the DM had been cancelled. It is an award winning newspaper famous for its investigative journalism in the tradition of muck raking.

Yeah, some may even consider Russia Today a credible source of information.

Not only TVF considers Daily mail as not credible, but if you do a google for it, you will find that many websites worldwide have banned Daily Mail.

Several internet browser will warn you or block when connecting to Daily Mail, so it is not your internet provider that blocks the site, but your browser.

Even Wikipedia has banned them.

You think they would go to that extent if it was such a reliable news source?

Edited by Susco