Getting money out of a UK bank account (Nat West and Nationwide)

Ive just arrived from the UK with 2 card readers. I always keep a spare. when I get to my winter accommodation I may have another there. If so I will offer it up on here. I will apply for another  when I return to the UK and also bring it back if it can help others. Why dont u post a new thread on here asking if others returning from the UK could do the same and obtain a card reader from their bank and bring it back for u, or if in the UK, to perhaps send u one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

And if the card No that you enter is expired you won't get any further than that!

Possibly. Ive never tried it. Im just assuming it works from others posting above who are saying that expired cards do still work.

9 minutes ago, SunsetT said:
13 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

And if the card No that you enter is expired you won't get any further than that!

9 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Possibly. Ive never tried it. Im just assuming it works from others posting above who are saying that expired cards do still work.

What Pilotman said was 'my RBS long expired debit card still works in the card reader??' and I replied to that in my earlier post.

The card reader does not read or know the expiry date of the card. So if you enter the correct PIN it will churn out one of its many codes.

But the bank does know the expiry date of the card and will reject the code that you have entered if that card is expired.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaLa said:

If it's not the cards themselves it's the card reader that has died on me.

If its not the battery, available at 7/11 then, you can use anybody else's Nationwide card reader, strange but true, maybe try and find someone near you.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Maybe it's just the battery? You should be able to replace that with no problem.

You can buy a new one here.....

Barclays PINSENTRY Card Reader Machine

Thanks Chris, that would be the obvious solution, however there is no way to re-load a battery into my RBS reader and the bank confirmed that they would simply provide a replacement. Security has changed however, as most of my on-line banking now requires a code sent to my phone.  Next step will be to provide a DNA sample I presume.

17 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Thanks Chris, that would be the obvious solution, however there is no way to re-load a battery into my RBS reader and the bank confirmed that they would simply provide a replacement. Security has changed however, as most of my on-line banking now requires a code sent to my phone.  Next step will be to provide a DNA sample I presume.

Why not ask to borrow some elses card reader , ask on your local facebook group , someone may have one 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Maybe it's just the battery? You should be able to replace that with no problem.

You can buy a new one here.....

Barclays PINSENTRY Card Reader Machine

It may interest you to know that the card readers sre not bank-specific. Nationwide, Natwest, RBS all work interchangeably.

It may also be of interest that when Nationwide updates its mobile app, and you are blocked from updating from the appstore (Google/android)  you can usually get the apk from the Aptoide app.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 11:23 AM, BritManToo said:

Natwest mobile phone app allows 1000 gbp transfer per day with no authentication.

I use the phone app to send money to Transferwise, then use the accumulated Transferwise amounts to Thailand.

You may need to phone NatWest to set up the phone app.

The Natwest App is no longer available unless you have a UK address. I spent a long time in one of their branches trying to make it work before they confirmed with Tech support, only available for UK addresses.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cme said:

The Natwest App is no longer available unless you have a UK address. I spent a long time in one of their branches trying to make it work before they confirmed with Tech support, only available for UK addresses.

so set one up via family or friend.

a reminder here that it's worth maintaining a uk address, easy to do and prevents awkward issues like this

On 12/22/2020 at 3:32 PM, BobBKK said:

Hello, I'm in a bit of a quandary - I have attempted to get some money transferred but always hit a brick wall and thought I'd have another go - here are the details:

Have accounts at Nat West and Nationwide - neither will send cards here and so cards all expired long ago. Ergo I cannot use the card readers

No UK address so can't get utility bills etc.

I can get online - but it says my cards are locked

Is there ANY way to resolve this other than fly back  (no way I'm doing that right now obviously). I have jumped through their hoops before and sent signed passport + certified statement + copies of my address etc. - nothing worked. I also want to cash in some pensions - same problem.

Anyone found a solution?

Yes, certainly with NatWest. I also got told I could not get a new card sent here because Thailand is high risk". I pointed out to them that they sent me 11 cards in 6 years when I lived in China, only 2 ever reached me because they were sent by the Natwest complaints team via Fedex. China is NOT considered a risk area. Natwest sent me a new card. Just have a go at them, point out that the mail theft rate in China is far higher than in Thailand and you need your card or you will close your account and use a bank that still provides a service to its customers. When I had a go at them my card arrived within 10 days.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 3:46 PM, Pilotman said:

I have had the same issues on occasions.  The only resort has been to use my Son's UK address and get him to sort things out for me and forward on cards etc. Get online banking as soon as you can, if you haven't already. By the way, my RBS long expired debit card still works in the card reader?? 

Last time I had the issue with Sh*tWest they said I could change my address to an address of a friend or relative in the UK and they could send the card there BUT THAT PERSON MUST NOT SEND THE CARD TO ME HERE even by courier, I would have to go to the UK and collect it in person. They sent me a card in the end, you just have to pressure them a bit.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, dabhand said:

For Nationwide internet banking, I believe that access is either via card+reader or pass number + OTP (but only via a UK mobile). That was my most recent experience of a few weeks back.

I get OTP on my Thai phone number from NatWest with no issue. When I initially changed to a Thai number I got told they couldn't do it because it was an overseas number and they cannot access overseas numbers on their system, and ten minutes later got an SMS from them confirming it!!! Since then I have had no problem with them contacting me via my Thai number.

1 minute ago, flinc2020 said:

I get OTP on my Thai phone number from NatWest with no issue. When I initially changed to a Thai number I got told they couldn't do it because it was an overseas number and they cannot access overseas numbers on their system, and ten minutes later got an SMS from them confirming it!!! Since then I have had no problem with them contacting me via my Thai number.

Yes. it does seem to be hit and miss.

I am OK with OTP's from Halifax, FD and Barclays to my Thai mobile, but not Nationwide. This despite Nationwide sending my debit/credit cards to my Thai address whereas others report that they cannot get Nationwide to do that service for them. 

On 12/22/2020 at 2:16 PM, dabhand said:

For Nationwide internet banking, I believe that access is either via card+reader or pass number + OTP (but only via a UK mobile). That was my most recent experience of a few weeks back.

I have been informed by Barclays that their app will only work with a UK SIM.

9 hours ago, flinc2020 said:

Last time I had the issue with Sh*tWest they said I could change my address to an address of a friend or relative in the UK and they could send the card there BUT THAT PERSON MUST NOT SEND THE CARD TO ME HERE even by courier, I would have to go to the UK and collect it in person. They sent me a card in the end, you just have to pressure them a bit.

what an idiotic comment by them

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PGSan said:

I thought that they had gone the way if the dodo, replaced by OTPs, thumbs etc.  I was very wrong! 

I think different functions. Not used mine yet but think it is only necessary for making changes, rather than access.

May as well put my two bahts worth in, from Nationwide i have had two cards sent to me in Thailand one took two and a half months to get here mainly i presume on account of C-19, by which time i had emailed them, they then sent another card two months ago which cancels the previous card this card has not arrived yet, after constant complaints to their complaints section they finally sent a card via DHL this was after i said i was going to the ombudsman to sort this out after four and a half months of not being able to access my account, in the course of this fiasco they deposited two lots of £50 to my account for my troubles, i think a threat to go to the ombudsman livens things up a bit, previously Nationwide has sent cards out when needed via regular post with no problems!

As for the Nationwide card reader its easy to change the two batteries required!

22 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

He would need  his ATM card and a card reader to be able to log into his UK online banking page 

I stated that I did not need either with my UK online banking app!! I don't know what his bank's system is!!!????????????. His other option is to possibly use a friend's or family's UK bank  account which is more user friendly!!????????????????

13 hours ago, dabhand said:

Yes. it does seem to be hit and miss.

I am OK with OTP's from Halifax, FD and Barclays to my Thai mobile, but not Nationwide. This despite Nationwide sending my debit/credit cards to my Thai address whereas others report that they cannot get Nationwide to do that service for them. 

The Halifax mobile banking app is excellent and I get an SMS everytime money goes in or out. They have a chat system which is very good and avoids the stupid need to telephone. Also through TransferWise my payment arrives here in seconds!!????????????????????????????????

1 hour ago, DPKANKAN said:

The Halifax mobile banking app is excellent and I get an SMS everytime money goes in or out. They have a chat system which is very good and avoids the stupid need to telephone. Also through TransferWise my payment arrives here in seconds!!????????????????????????????????

Would agree that the Halifax app is excellent. A year or so back I received a UK tax refund by cheque (GBP11, wow!!) and was able to have it credited to my Halifax account via scanning on their app.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

I have been informed by Barclays that their app will only work with a UK SIM.

I have the Barclays app on my Thai mobile with OTPs and debit / credit updates sent via my Thai number. My account is with their Jersey branch so that may be the reason for different treatment.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:48 PM, samsensam said:

so set one up via family or friend.

a reminder here that it's worth maintaining a uk address, easy to do and prevents awkward issues like this

That's possible as I have a daughter in the UK but as I only use the card when I'm there on holiday it's not worth the hassle.

23 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Where are the batteries located ?

On my Nationwide card reader there is a little rectangular hole on the back bottom left just off centre put  a pointed knife etc in the hole and lever out a little, the battery holder will appear enough to get a nail grip on the  battery holder and pull out you need two CR2032 batteries easily obtainable in 7/11 stores, hope this will help you!

• Like 1