Getting money out of a UK bank account (Nat West and Nationwide)

Hello, I'm in a bit of a quandary - I have attempted to get some money transferred but always hit a brick wall and thought I'd have another go - here are the details:

Have accounts at Nat West and Nationwide - neither will send cards here and so cards all expired long ago. Ergo I cannot use the card readers

No UK address so can't get utility bills etc.

I can get online - but it says my cards are locked

Is there ANY way to resolve this other than fly back  (no way I'm doing that right now obviously). I have jumped through their hoops before and sent signed passport + certified statement + copies of my address etc. - nothing worked. I also want to cash in some pensions - same problem.

Anyone found a solution?

16 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I have had the same issues on occasions.  The only resort has been to use my Son's UK address and get him to sort things out for me and forward on cards etc. Get online banking as soon as you can, if you haven't already. By the way, my RBS long expired debit card still works in the card reader?? 

That's interesting, I didn't know an expired account works in a card reader. Thanks for the tip!

Telephone your bank if you don't have an online set up with them and arrange to send it to your Thai bank account. 

Nat West & Nationwide & Barclay's like you to have a UK address. 

I'm lucky I'm with FD UK they send everything to my Thai address their not bothered about where you go and live but I think you have to be in the UK to start with, not sure. 

I'm puzzled that the O/P says that NBS will not send cards here. They do. I've had both credit and debit cards sent to me since I've been living here.

As regards expired cards working in the card reader. Yes they will because the reader doesn't know they are expired. However, when you come to do an on-line transaction, the bank will instruct you to put card no XXXX in the card reader. That will stop you in your tracks!

Edited by Moonlover

1 hour ago, DaLa said:

I'm slowly running out of banking facilities. If it's not the cards themselves it's the card reader that has died on me.  

Maybe it's just the battery? You should be able to replace that with no problem.

You can buy a new one here.....

Barclays PINSENTRY Card Reader Machine

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaLa said:

I'm slowly running out of banking facilities. If it's not the cards themselves it's the card reader that has died on me.  When I first 'moved' here I had an international HSBC account that was going to provide my main banking from their headquarters opposite Lumphini Park. Then they closed the retail banking arm in Thailand so I opened an account with Bangkok Bank as they have a branch in London.  I was going to run all my transfers through them but they were less than helpful in the UK.

I've also got cheques and money waiting to be paid into accounts in the UK but that becomes a nightmare too when you're out of the country.  I sometimes wonder whether earning a living as a drug dealer is worth the effort.

For Nationwide, as others have mentioned, I receive replacement debit and credit cards on their expiry dates direct to my Thai address without any problem.

A couple of years back my credit card was damaged and I contacted them via online secure message. Asked for a replacement to be sent and it came through a couple of weeks later. 

If you have updated your address to Thailand and are able to logon to their secure message option that might be worth a shot. 

Do you need a card for internet banking? 

I'm in a similar situation as you. My internet banking has been suspended. But before it was, I just used to transfer money online to Transferwise, then they paid it into my Thai bank account. I never needed a card to do that.

Now with my internet banking suspended until I can get back to the UK to rectify things, I have to use my debit card to do the transfer to Transferwise.

19 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I'm in a similar situation as you. My internet banking has been suspended. But before it was, I just used to transfer money online to Transferwise, then they paid it into my Thai bank account. I never needed a card to do that.

Now with my internet banking suspended until I can get back to the UK to rectify things, I have to use my debit card to do the transfer to Transferwise.

For Nationwide internet banking, I believe that access is either via card+reader or pass number + OTP (but only via a UK mobile). That was my most recent experience of a few weeks back.

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have had the same issues on occasions.  The only resort has been to use my Son's UK address and get him to sort things out for me and forward on cards etc. Get online banking as soon as you can, if you haven't already. By the way, my RBS long expired debit card still works in the card reader?? 

They need my name on utility bills

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, dabhand said:

For Nationwide, as others have mentioned, I receive replacement debit and credit cards on their expiry dates direct to my Thai address without any problem.

A couple of years back my credit card was damaged and I contacted them via online secure message. Asked for a replacement to be sent and it came through a couple of weeks later. 

If you have updated your address to Thailand and are able to logon to their secure message option that might be worth a shot. 

Nationwide is not my main account Nat West is - but i do have a couple grand in NBS I'd like to get out at some stage.

13 hours ago, phetphet said:

Yes - when I try to transfer it asks me to insert card into card reader. I have internet banking but can't transfer anything for years.

30 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

no cards to mailboxes and even if i found one they need utility bills

They are a pain in the ass and can only deal with the 'normal', not the 'different'.  I hate all banks with a vengeance, but unfortunately most of us need them. 

19 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Hello, I'm in a bit of a quandary - I have attempted to get some money transferred but always hit a brick wall and thought I'd have another go - here are the details:

Have accounts at Nat West and Nationwide - neither will send cards here and so cards all expired long ago. Ergo I cannot use the card readers

No UK address so can't get utility bills etc.

I can get online - but it says my cards are locked

Is there ANY way to resolve this other than fly back  (no way I'm doing that right now obviously). I have jumped through their hoops before and sent signed passport + certified statement + copies of my address etc. - nothing worked. I also want to cash in some pensions - same problem.

Anyone found a solution?

If you have an online account in uk and a bank account here should be no problem. I use transferwise and it hits my Kasikorn account in 4 secs from Uk-Transferwise-Kasikorn.

I have not had a UK bank card for 7 years!!????????????????

21 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

If you have an online account in uk and a bank account here should be no problem. I use transferwise and it hits my Kasikorn account in 4 secs from Uk-Transferwise-Kasikorn.

I have not had a UK bank card for 7 years!!????????????????

He would need  his ATM card and a card reader to be able to log into his UK online banking page 

Best to maintain a  UK address (trusted relative or friend)  who can then post you cards and readers and use transferwise to move funds to  Thailand. You can set up a international  bank account  with  Transfer wise but if you  need a card you will still need a UK address to send it to for posting on

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I'm puzzled that the O/P says that NBS will not send cards here. They do. I've had both credit and debit cards sent to me since I've been living here.

As regards expired cards working in the card reader. Yes they will because the reader doesn't know they are expired. However, when you come to do an on-line transaction, the bank will instruct you to put card no XXXX in the card reader. That will stop you in your tracks!

Not Nationwide. U just enter the last 4 digits of the card # online.