Getting money out of a UK bank account (Nat West and Nationwide)

On 12/23/2020 at 6:48 PM, samsensam said:

so set one up via family or friend.

a reminder here that it's worth maintaining a uk address, easy to do and prevents awkward issues like this

they want 2 utility bills?  I already said all that

Sorry, not really on topic but a few related points. I did get nationwide to send me a new card reader in November and it only took 4 weeks to arrive - my registered address is UK but they were still willing to send to a Thai address - just gave them the address on the chat facility. Needed this because my UK sim expired (due to Covid didn't return to UK and no calls for 12 months).

Also, if you use internet banking for Lloyds or Halifax, they now require a one time passnumber input into your registered phone number - again an issue because of my UK sim expiring! They have a 'trust my device' service which may/may not allow you to need using the passnumber, but this service depends on cookies, which were wiped out by a windows 10 upgrade - as i discovered. I have just updated my mobile phone number for Halifax by getting my brother in the uk to input the passnumber  i gave him on our home address phone. Have to  wait until January 3rd to see if this is now OK.. Lloyds next!

Maintaining a UK address via a friend/relative can be very valuable at times.

UK banking when living abroad has become much harder because of 'security reasons' in the last 2 years - used to be painless, not anymore.

On 1/1/2021 at 12:05 PM, rickudon said:

Sorry, not really on topic but a few related points. I did get nationwide to send me a new card reader in November and it only took 4 weeks to arrive - my registered address is UK but they were still willing to send to a Thai address - just gave them the address on the chat facility. Needed this because my UK sim expired (due to Covid didn't return to UK and no calls for 12 months).

Also, if you use internet banking for Lloyds or Halifax, they now require a one time passnumber input into your registered phone number - again an issue because of my UK sim expiring! They have a 'trust my device' service which may/may not allow you to need using the passnumber, but this service depends on cookies, which were wiped out by a windows 10 upgrade - as i discovered. I have just updated my mobile phone number for Halifax by getting my brother in the uk to input the passnumber  i gave him on our home address phone. Have to  wait until January 3rd to see if this is now OK.. Lloyds next!

Maintaining a UK address via a friend/relative can be very valuable at times.

UK banking when living abroad has become much harder because of 'security reasons' in the last 2 years - used to be painless, not anymore.

Yes but I cannot set up a UK address without utility bills etc. Friends addresses won't help me as I cannot prove I live there.

12 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Yes but I cannot set up a UK address without utility bills etc. Friends addresses won't help me as I cannot prove I live there.

Happy to be corrected but it seems you are confusing "change of address" with applying for a NEW account. In my experience the utility bill etc has only been requested when opening and account, not for just changing your address.

On 1/4/2021 at 9:44 AM, CharlieH said:

Happy to be corrected but it seems you are confusing "change of address" with applying for a NEW account. In my experience the utility bill etc has only been requested when opening and account, not for just changing your address.

Happy to correct you. I have no address in UK if submitting a new one I need utility bills - ergo I am not 'changing address'.

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Happy to correct you. I have no address in UK if submitting a new one I need utility bills - ergo I am not 'changing address'.

Sorry, but if you already have an account then you are changing the address on that account are you not ? ie not the same address as it was opened with.

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Sorry, but if you already have an account then you are changing the address on that account are you not ? ie not the same address as it was opened with.

This is the instructions I have been given by Nat West - I do not live in UK and my last address was 12 years ago and they do not consider this a 'change of address' and require utility bills. Thank you.

Edited by BobBKK
  • Like 1