What do you miss about your home country?

Lacessit

1 minute ago, wolf81 said:

- Good cheese; real Dutch cheese like Beemster as sold on Dutch markets.

- Good quality bread; Farmhouse sucks imo, more variety would be great, as would be some good croissants.

- A bit more pastry choices. In my area seems every shop sells cakes from the same factories; something like a "Gevulde Koek" would be nice. 

Bread yes....but please...Dutch cheese..really? Biggest con trick going....it is recycled plastic at best....or have I been eating the wrong stuff?

"A single meat market in Wuhan, specializing in exotic meats for conspicuous consumption by wealthy Chinese, generated a virus which spread like wildfire."

Totally incorrect. It was the Wuhan seafood market, it did not specialize in exotic meats, it sold seafood, and there was nothing upmarket about the place to suggest it was patronized by wealth Chinese. It was just a run-of-the-mill seafood market that catered to ordinary local shoppers and diners. And it did not generate a virus. The virus was generated at the nearby Wuhan Institute of Virology and accidently released by careless lab workers who frequented the seafood market after work.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TSF said:

The virus was generated at the nearby Wuhan Institute of Virology and accidently released by careless lab workers who frequented the seafood market after work.

Zero evidence for this, in fact good evidence that it's not true.

47 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Bread yes....but please...Dutch cheese..really? Biggest con trick going....it is recycled plastic at best....or have I been eating the wrong stuff?

Are you from The Netherlands or not? In the Dutch city markets and cheese shops there are (in my opinion) excellent cheeses available. All the stuff you can buy in Thailand, even if it's labelled like Dutch cheese (e.g. Gouda, Edam) is often from German and tastes bad. It's labelled Dutch but not from The Netherlands. 

I'm sure in many other countries cheese is also sold as Gouda or Edam but not actually from The Netherlands.

Edited by wolf81

10 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

Are you from The Netherlands or not? In the Dutch city markets and cheese shops there are (in my opinion) excellent cheeses available. All the stuff you can buy in German, even if it's labelled like Dutch cheese (e.g. Gouda, Edam) is often from German and tastes bad.

Yep some great restaurants in Amsterdam, lots of Italian restaurants, French, German, Mexican, and The Cottage serving traditional British breakfasts and other traditional British staples. My favourite was a little Surinamese restaurant in the suburbs.

Dutch food? Na, the only good Dutch food are the pies that you get from the hole-in- the wall vending machines at 2am. Great when you've visited too many "cafes",

1 hour ago, TSF said:

"A single meat market in Wuhan, specializing in exotic meats for conspicuous consumption by wealthy Chinese, generated a virus which spread like wildfire."

Totally incorrect. It was the Wuhan seafood market, it did not specialize in exotic meats, it sold seafood, and there was nothing upmarket about the place to suggest it was patronized by wealth Chinese. It was just a run-of-the-mill seafood market that catered to ordinary local shoppers and diners. And it did not generate a virus. The virus was generated at the nearby Wuhan Institute of Virology and accidently released by careless lab workers who frequented the seafood market after work.

That's one of the theories. I'm not going to argue the merits of each hypothesis with you.

Cakes with fresh cream. Cakes with berries and autumn fruits. Gooseberries, rhubarb, sherry trifle, clotted cream, jam Rolly Polly and spotted dick, crumbles and blackcurrents....and most of all....

Huge custard vanilla slices where the custard oozes out the other side  when you try to eat then. ????

• Like 2

Right now, I don't miss anything!  Can't imagine being in the US right now. 

But, in normal times, I miss cooler weather, nice sidewalks, fantastic shopping, national parks that are beautiful, and big wine shops!!!!! LOL.

Thailand has a lot to offer also, but these are some of the things I miss.

I miss the Christmas dinner. Switched over years ago from the braindead roast turkey, roast everything when it's 40 C to a climate-change version. Cold cooked crayfish from Tasmania, lemon juice, black pepper and salad, A Vasse Felix classic dry white, from Margaret River. For dessert, my fruit salad - pineapple, rock melon, strawberries, seedless grapes, blueberries. Percolated coffee and a Bailey's Irish Cream to finish up.

• Like 1

Mostly food:

Proper chippy chips.

Ox Tongue, for butties.

Hollands pies and puddings.

Warburtons bread, crumpets and potato cakes.

Seabrooks crisps.

Good fresh tomatoes and parsnips.

Maris Piper and King Edward spuds.

Work and the social interaction with workmates.

Good libraries.

Affordable real ale and proper pubs.

The list of things I don't miss is far longer, hence why I am glad to be here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Cheap cheese .

In Makro I buy a kilo of cheddar cheese sometimes for B289 or more often, B309. It is very nice. Buy some Branston Pickle from Lazada - I have bought three times, 2 x 350gm jars,( the real thing) while in Makro bought some of their nice brown fresh bread, organised myself a cool large Beer Chang and have myself as close to a Ploughmans lunch as you can expect 10,000 kms from home.

Go on - spoil yourself!

• Like 1

Having been in uk since June after 13 years in Thailand I realise there is very little here I miss and when I return to Thailand I won’t be returning again to uk unless for a family funeral . Access to all of amazon here helps for buying things , cost for simple things like deodorant/ shower gels/ shaving foam etc is far cheaper for decent stuff , aftershave and perfume is a million times cheaper for originals not copy , decent clothes that fit as most places in Bkk malls the designer shops only have Thai size . But I don’t miss the food here , cheese is far cheaper though  , lucozade is available everywhere and seeing the variation of decent and nice looking cars that cost peanuts here does make me miss driving a decent car .

Edited by ronaldo0

3 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

In Makro I buy a kilo of cheddar cheese sometimes for B289 or more often, B309. It is very nice. Buy some Branston Pickle from Lazada - I have bought three times, 2 x 350gm jars,( the real thing) while in Makro bought some of their nice brown fresh bread, organised myself a cool large Beer Chang and have myself as close to a Ploughmans lunch as you can expect 10,000 kms from home.

Go on - spoil yourself!

I have bought the Makro brand cheddar ( Aro ) before and find it pretty good, last time I bought Pauli brand, big mistake, tasteless !!

The Branston tip is good, gonna check that out right now.

38 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have bought the Makro brand cheddar ( Aro ) before and find it pretty good, last time I bought Pauli brand, big mistake, tasteless !!

The Branston tip is good, gonna check that out right now.

Can usually get branston pickle in makro also , although not always in small jars size . Although maybe cheaper on lazada. One thing I did find on lazada far cheaper was lemon curd ????. Tesco wanted 240 bht for a jar and I think was 120bht on lazada. 

• Like 2