What do you miss about your home country?

Lacessit

Look up "Kmart Christmas 1974" on YT. I heard you Aussies still got it, but it's a store now mostly dead in the US, and is what I grew up with. Many happy trips with grandma, for pizza pockets, slushies, Star Wars, and Nintendo. No, they weren't at all like those microwave pizza pocket abominations.

I've been playing this and 80's American TV commercials for my wife the past few days. Homesick for a home that no longer exists. The America now is, well, you know.

Interesting to me that the majority of respondents on here are from Oz.

I lived in England and California. I miss the English countryside, the great pubs, swanning around the country on a canal boat, chocolate eclairs with real cream, Watney’s brown ale, Indian food, English humour, Spring and Summer days and all the women in their beautiful dresses. 

Riding up the Pacific Coast Highway on my Ninja heading north to camp at Big Sur, Indian food, Mexican food, Asian women, free concerts on Santa Monica Pier, riding my bicycle everywhere safely, kayaking the Green River for nine days in Utah, camping and more camping, Santa Barbara, cross country skiing, surfing, sailing, playing tennis two times a week, friends and more friends, riding my V Strom in Montana and Wyoming and camping in Yellowstone Park, pot luck dinners with friends, neighbors respecting the laws, my Prius, my Mazda Miata.

But I always wanted to live in the tropics since I was based in Singapore in 1963 in the Royal Navy.....and here I am with a lovely wife 32 years younger. And Thai women are bloody funny and a laugh to be with...so I am happy.

Away from the UK for 35 years. Went back 5 years ago, intending to stay for a month. Couldn't stand the way people speak, the pathetic humour, the obesity, the self obsession or the lack of bottle. Went into a deep depression and left after 2 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

In and Out burger.

Yup,  not going back for work this year, all being done on the internet.  Walking distance from my office in Camarillo CA is an In and Out so I'm going to be a year without.  My Thai wife hates most burgers but drools at the thought of a double double with cheese, grilled onions, and fries animal style.  Great, now I want In and Out!

12 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

The OP and posters have made me think about back home in OZ, not something I normally do, so there are more things to miss than I realised. But to keep it short:

fresh daily baked bread (you city folk might have it but not up here)

the surf

fishing in the ocean and eating the catch.

I went to oz a few years ago and saw in the local fishing shop get your fishing licence here ...wow, I thought it was a joke..... so that on topof whatever limits are applied not... by the time yoou fuel up and all the rest its hardly worth it...

1 minute ago, Seeall said:

I went to oz a few years ago and saw in the local fishing shop get your fishing licence here ...wow, I thought it was a joke..... so that on topof whatever limits are applied not... by the time yoou fuel up and all the rest its hardly worth it...

My Thai partner looked at me and said, well what if people are hungry?

1 hour ago, Seeall said:

My Thai partner looked at me and said, well what if people are hungry?

That's funny.

Reminds me of this joke.

A man was doing a survey on the street and encountered a Pole, an American, a Russian, and an Israeli.

He asked,

Excuse me, what's your opinion about the meat shortage?

The Pole answered -- what's meat?

The American answered -- what's a shortage?

The Russian answered -- what's an opinion?

The Israeli answered -- what's Excuse me?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, madmen said:

I'm on the gold coast and no lockdown here and no new cases in 200 days I think. 

Free medical in the first class medical system. A pension card makes sure you never pay more than $7 for a prescription and half price for bus and tram 

Amazing clean surf beaches dotted with surf clubs where you can drink beer and dine with a stunning view 

Cheap deli food and stupid cheap wines and oh the magnificent range of cheeses. Beer where I drink is $5.50 per schooner a bit more expensive than Thailand 

Best of all the pub down the road does $6 rump steak and chips. Not a huge portion but enough for me 

Of course this is all wiped out by the expensive rent but government rent assistance of $300 A month helps somewhat 

But the worst thing is young women look right through you like your not even there. Getting a young wife for an older guy is just a fantasy unless you many millions 

Never seen a broke expat with a lovely young Thai gal????????‍♂️Either 

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It’s been a year like no other. The oil price went negative, airlines were grounded, some forever. A single meat market in Wuhan, specializing in exotic meats for conspicuous consumption by wealthy Chinese, generated a virus which spread like wildfire. Countries went into lockdown, some stringently, some half-heartedly. The results are there for everyone to see. Millions became employed overnight. Some countries responded with support, others opted for benign neglect. Vaccines were developed at unprecedented speed. A would-be tyrant was rejected at the polls. Most if not all of us will say goodbye and good riddance to 2020.

I’m in Thailand by choice and some good luck. Two weeks later in February, and I would still be locked down in Australia, contemplating slashing my wrists. A much more enjoyable life for me here.

Having said that, there are some things I miss about my home country.

I miss the wind. In Thailand, it seems the wind can’t get much above a gentle zephyr. I would rug up with about four layers of clothing in winter, go down to Gunnamatta beach with an offshore wind of 50-60 km/hr, and watch 10 metre waves pound the coast. Nature at its most primeval.

I miss the wineries that dot the Mornington Peninsula, where one could have a light lunch and a couple of glasses of the local product, which most of the time was very good. Apart from Thai wine quality, I don’t believe Thais know what a cellar door is, or what it’s for.

I miss my 2004 Mitsubishi Magna AWD sedan, IMO one of the most underrated vehicles ever produced. Balanced like a cat on dirt roads and wet bitumen. About a third the new car price of a comparable Mercedes. My son has it now, still plugging along with 300,000 km on the odometer.

I miss the golf competitions I used to play. Par, foursomes, match play, Canadian foursomes. Here, it’s just stroke and Stableford. Boring.

I miss the camaraderie of the Wednesday Boys. 15 – 20 of us, some real characters and nicknames.

The Poet, The Farmer, The Whippet, Pistol Pete, Triple Treat. Best net score got a two-dollar coin from every other player, with an appropriate obeisance. Some really acid sledging during play, one of the best at my expense. A day when I was spraying my tee shots all over the course, but making pars because I’m holing putts from everywhere on the greens. Our group gets to the seventeenth tee, par 3, and I’m fretting about club selection, is it a 6 or 7 iron? One of my mates says “ Why don’t you tee off with your putter? It’s the only club you’ve hit straight all day”.

I miss a Gippsland eye fillet steak, medium, with a Warby Ranges Shiraz. Followed by a King Island blue brie on water crackers.

I miss grilled flake and chips,with a pickled onion on the side. Flake is also known as shark to non-Australians, very sweet fish, and filling.

All the best to everyone on TV over Christmas, and may 2021 be better.

What do you miss?

I miss nothing because I am back home and haven't slashed my wrist

but since you are from Victoria I have sympathy

7 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

Miss roaming the forests of the eastern US.  Ending an evening eating brook trout over the fire with a shot of whiskey or five. Venison, love the taste of venison.  Not from my home country but miss traveling to GT races in Kuala Lumpur years back while living in Singapore. 

IMGP0431.jpeg

IMGP0412.jpeg

IMGP0441.jpeg

IMGP0427.jpeg

179.jpeg

So which one is yours ?

18 hours ago, madmen said:

Amazing clean surf beaches dotted with surf clubs where you can drink beer and dine with a stunning view 

.......... if she would only move a (large) bit to the right I would agree with you

Overweight waitress serving drinks Stock Photo - Alamy

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

Miss roaming the forests of the eastern US.  Ending an evening eating brook trout over the fire with a shot of whiskey or five. Venison, love the taste of venison.  Not from my home country but miss traveling to GT races in Kuala Lumpur years back while living in Singapore. 

IMGP0431.jpeg

IMGP0412.jpeg

IMGP0441.jpeg

IMGP0427.jpeg

179.jpeg

cameltoe....

4 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

IMGP0431.jpeg

IMGP0412.jpeg

IMGP0441.jpeg

IMGP0427.jpeg

179.jpeg

That cascading stream w/the mountain laurel looks almost exactly like the one behind my house in Central Pa.!! Could it be? I had a bit of a waterfall too... 

16 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

In Makro I buy a kilo of cheddar cheese sometimes for B289 or more often, B309. It is very nice. Buy some Branston Pickle from Lazada - I have bought three times, 2 x 350gm jars,( the real thing) while in Makro bought some of their nice brown fresh bread, organised myself a cool large Beer Chang and have myself as close to a Ploughmans lunch as you can expect 10,000 kms from home.

Go on - spoil yourself!

I suspect the Branston pickle and fresh brown bread may mask any deficiencies in the cheese. I've always found Thai cheese to be execrable.

Was a time I bought my cheese from an artisan farm near Korumburra in Gippsland called Top Paddock Cheeses. Run by an Austrian, Fred Leppin. The farm had about 80 cows for the raw material. He made cheddars, washed rind cheeses, brie, extra tasty - about 15 different types. Another farm nearby made goat's milk cheese.

Had a Ploughman's Lunch at a small pub in the UK as I was driving from Scarborough to London, I remember it was pretty good.