Selling Thai property/ take back $ to US

Unless the law has changed recently, to  register the sale of a property at the Land Registry Office, they require evidence of funds paid between buyer and seller in Thai baht. This usually takes the form of a cashiers check. They also  require taxes to  be paid on the transfer in  Thai baht. I do not think  it will be possible  to register change of ownership if these criteria are not met.

• Like 1

IF you have records showing that you brought the money used to buy the property into Thailand via a bank transfer you can transfer the same amount out easily.

My understanding is that if you don't have the records you can only legally transfer or physically take US$10,000 out of Thailand at once.  I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to repeatedly make bank transfers of just under $10,000.

The best advice is to never bring the money into Thailand and do as Patong2021 says, have it transferred directly to a bank account in the USA.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have done this and transferred 4 million baht from Siam commercial Bank to New Zealand

Did you send THB or NZD. 

I tried to send money to Australia via Kasikorn, they would only send AUD, lousy exchange rate, much prefer to send THB.

My bank said they couldn't send THB to Australia. 

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Did you send THB or NZD. 

I tried to send money to Australia via Kasikorn, they would only send AUD, lousy exchange rate, much prefer to send THB.

My bank said they couldn't send THB to Australia. 

Thai baht as I recall, but was so pleased to have been able to get it out of the country, it could have been in pesos!!

Seems I was mistaken re the OPs question!! Still if my response helps someone then all is well.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

As usual a variety of  answers that are very different.     I will add my experience of sending thai baht from my

thai bank account to a western country .   Bangkok Bank  that i used  simply had me fill out a form,  fill in reason

on form ( almost anything will suffice) ,  then they converted the baht amount    to currency of the country I was sending it to using

the appropriate rate for that day ,   charged me 400 baht ,  and poof  ........... it was in the foreign bank account within a day.    Did it more than once,  on seperate days,  amounts were in 1 mil  baht range.    I do not know if

they limit the amount but the amount i mention was not a problem.    I wasn't even asked where the money originated from.         

I have been with this bank for many many years but again,  do not know if that made a difference.  I would assume that having the money in a savings acct there  for more than a few days or weeks might  make a difference,  but who knows.     

also assume... as TIT..... that your experience at different banks may differ

When I transferred money to Thailand to purchase my condo, I had read that I needed a specific form from the Thai bank.  Wish I could remember the name of that form, but I think it was to distinguish the fact that the funds transfer was designated for a real estate transaction, so that when I sold the condo, those funds would be eligible for repatriation to the US.   I always banked on using that form to send the money back if and whenever I sell my condo.  Based on some of the posts above, I may not need that form, and apparently it would be no problem to repatriate any profits I may realize from the sale.

34 minutes ago, madisongy said:

When I transferred money to Thailand to purchase my condo, I had read that I needed a specific form from the Thai bank.  Wish I could remember the name of that form, but I think it was to distinguish the fact that the funds transfer was designated for a real estate transaction, so that when I sold the condo, those funds would be eligible for repatriation to the US.   I always banked on using that form to send the money back if and whenever I sell my condo.  Based on some of the posts above, I may not need that form, and apparently it would be no problem to repatriate any profits I may realize from the sale.

It was called a 'tor tor 3' 

Think my last condo purchase just retained the incoming wire transfer 

document as proof funds came from overseas, which would be the same document used to release funds from TH.