UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

There was already a benefit of Brexit proffered by some on here... a car factory did not lose jobs on exit (actually there have been 150 jobs lost - but the reasons cannot be necessarily linked to Brexit itself).   When your strongest single result is you did not lose jobs... you know everything is going very well ????

Indeed, @bkkcanuck8.

But jobs have, of course, been lost. Such as the 500 plus jobs lost when prominent leave campaigner Sir Jim Ratcliffe decided in December to build his new cars in France, rather than, as promised in September 2019, Wales.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 7by7 said:

Indeed, @bkkcanuck8.

But jobs have, of course, been lost. Such as the 500 plus jobs lost when prominent leave campaigner Sir Jim Ratcliffe decided in December to build his new cars in France, rather than, as promised in September 2019, Wales.

I should have been more clear - the loss of jobs as a single result (i.e. the Nissan factory)... there have been an overall loss of jobs... though to be honest with any new change in the trading arrangement there would typically be a loss of jobs as the trade flows are realigned... which is usually offset long term by increases elsewhere longer time due to an increase in market access to larger markets ....  The UK is going the opposite direction -- dramatically reducing trade access.... hmm... reminds me of what happened preceding the great depression... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

They are not theories.  I am quoting you and your ilk! 

Some may, eventually, realsie that they did not vote for the same thing or things as every other Brexiteer.  Xome may even relaise that voting to leave was a monumental mistake.  Not you, obviously, but some others might.

Meanwhile I will post what and when I wish.

PH

So what,i couldn,t give a tinkers cuss how other people voted,and as you,ve been told your continual digging out members and naming them for rheir views is a possible breaking of the rules,which would be a matter for the administration.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

<snip>

The UK is going the opposite direction -- dramatically reducing trade access

Which is the reason given by Brexiteer Ratcliffe for moving to France from Wales; supply lines within the EU customs union being easier than from the EU to a non member, the UK.

Seems that the Brexiteer billionaire Sir Jim believes the effects of Brexit are ok for us plebs to suffer; but not those rich enough to afford to move to the EU and thus avoid them.

He is, of course, not the only rich Brexiteer to have taken such action; Jacob Rees-Mogg moving some of his investment funds to the RoI for example. I'm sure a bit of research will easily turn up more examples.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, candide said:

Right! She quickly changed her tone after the Brexit referendum, when people were starting to realise what a mess it was going to be.

about the extreme-right and Europe, you need also to factor in the fact that their identity is not just being french, it's being European (as opposed to "arabs" etc...). A lot of extreme right groups (we'd say groupuscules) call themselves "Europeans"

so the extreme right are nationalists, but no so anti-european, its more for an aggressive and closed Europe as opposed to a universal/humanist vision of Europe.

But this is still Europe, just another, not so friendly Europe.

I believe it wouldn't be very fun even for the current british national-populist government to face a different national-populist, extreme-right Europe (more Trump-like).

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

about the extreme-right and Europe, you need also to factor in the fact that their identity is not just being french, it's being European (as opposed to "arabs" etc...). A lot of extreme right groups (we'd say groupuscules) call themselves "Europeans"

so the extreme right are nationalists, but no so anti-european, its more for an aggressive and closed Europe as opposed to a universal/humanist vision of Europe.

But this is still Europe, just another, not so friendly Europe.

I believe it wouldn't be very fun even for the current british national-populist government to face a different national-populist, extreme-right Europe (more Trump-like).

Europe should be very proud of their outstanding concern for the human rights of migrants who as i speak are busy assimilating themselves into europes customs and way of life.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, tebee said:

Yet another Leave voter regrets their decision ....

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/business/2021/01/29/i-made-a-mistake-voting-for-brexit-says-business-as-stock-sits-waiting-to-leave-west-midlands/

'I made a mistake voting for Brexit' says business as stock sits waiting to leave West Midlands

Obviously nothing to do with the current pandemic?wasnt too foreward in explaining the problems past " paperwork and having to pay 12% vat "its always someone elses fault.

Edited by kingdong
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Obviously nothing to do with the current pandemic?wasnt too foreward in explaining the problems past " paperwork and having to pay 12% vat "its always someone elses fault.

At least she voted for it - the 'inconvenience' it has caused is because of what she asked for - not something that was forced on her against her will.   I am guessing she had to pay 20% on any input products that she is using for manufacturing, meaning the price she sells them at has an additional value of 8% for what they sell in the UK.   If she was able to export it, she would get back the VAT that she has paid would she not, then the importer (possibly her prepaying for the customer) would have to pay the VAT tax on the import (which when delivered would be paid by the customer)....  (she has to finance the inventory not sold but not actually pay the VAT herself in the end).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tebee said:

Yet another Leave voter regrets their decision ....

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/business/2021/01/29/i-made-a-mistake-voting-for-brexit-says-business-as-stock-sits-waiting-to-leave-west-midlands/

'I made a mistake voting for Brexit' says business as stock sits waiting to leave West Midlands

Its always somebody elses fault.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, kingdong said:

"She" only had 3 years to prepare and take into account these events,sorry about the corona virus but that isn,t the fault of brexit anyway must go,am watching the news,seems the eu are renaging on agreements already re the vaccine,oh well,start as you mean to carry on.

The final Brexit deal and thus all the processes that were needed was only decided a week before implementation date.   If there were processes to follow and you could have planned ahead, finding out would have been difficult at best since you are talking to civil servants and they are going to tell you what you need to do now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The final Brexit deal and thus all the processes that were needed was only decided a week before implementation date.   If there were processes to follow and you could have planned ahead, finding out would have been difficult at best since you are talking to civil servants and they are going to tell you what you need to do now. 

A lot of the delays were the fault of a remainer government and their antics unwilling to accept a peoples vote,and accept democracy.consequently it took another e!ection and a landslide victory for boris,who then had only 6 months before the brexit deadline,so perhaps " she " should see who engineered her current predicament

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Good thing, the guy's main quality was to be a Brexiteer and to like to humiliate the EU, that made him the idol of Brexiteers, but as a negociator, he was a rookie. 

.. And even more incompetent on national security. 

Again his best asset was to be a Brexiteer, while other competent FO high level diplomats were not.. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/29/brexit-negotiator-david-frost-pulled-away-from-national-security-role

As a result, the trade deal we are discussing here now is very bad for the UK, but I'm still not sure our Brexiteers are aware. 

If they could the UK government would renegue, like they did on the Withdrawal Agreement. 

On your last point just like the eu are doing as i post regarding the vaccine.

Edited by kingdong

10 hours ago, candide said:

It's interesting to note that the only two policies you highlight (tax policy and security policy) are policies which are largely outside the scope of the EU.

Not for long. That's the point.