Thailand to launch first moon mission

rooster59

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Tell me what you KNOW about my background.

All the major engineering inventions were either European or British.

Engineering today is just fine tuning and improving what already exists.

Don't pick examples like Toyota or Triumph, production line stuff made from mostly imported parts being put together.

Quality control wasn't invented by Thai engineers. Engineers everywhere have had to accept it as part of engineer improvement but there is a growing trend to cut it as much as possible to increase production based mainly on the requirements of bean counters who see it as a waste of time and money,

( cuts the bottom line ).

There are good engineers here but many have never opened a book or kept up with the latest advances in their field.  Got degree=sit at desk with shirt and tie on.

What nonsense. I've worked in both the metallurgical and IT industries in Thailand, and there has been lots of knowledge transfer to local technicians and engineers. Some of them are every bit as good as their former mentors, and use the skills they've learned in a variety of different fields. Many are senior engineers, highly accomplished, and to say that all they do is simple assembly line work simply demonstrates your ignorance. You've obviously never had any dealings with industry in Thailand, yet you are determined for your own reasons to look down on people who are likely a lot more capable than you appear to be.  

Just now, dbrenn said:

What nonsense. I've worked in both the metallurgical and IT industries in Thailand, and there has been lots of knowledge transfer to local technicians and engineers. Some of them are every bit as good as their former mentors, and use the skills they've learned in a variety of different fields. Many are senior engineers, software developers, and the like - highly accomplished, and to say that all they do is simple assembly line work simply demonstrates your ignorance. You've obviously never had any dealings with industry in Thailand, yet you are determined for your own reasons to look down on people who are likely a lot more capable than you appear to be.  

18 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

What nonsense. I've worked in both the metallurgical and IT industries in Thailand, and there has been lots of knowledge transfer to local technicians and engineers. Some of them are every bit as good as their former mentors, and use the skills they've learned in a variety of different fields. Many are senior engineers, highly accomplished, and to say that all they do is simple assembly line work simply demonstrates your ignorance. You've obviously never had any dealings with industry in Thailand, yet you are determined for your own reasons to look down on people who are likely a lot more capable than you appear to be.  

I just love the 'no dealings with industry in Thailand'

Or should I tug the forelock sir?

Keep going, I love the insults.

????????

Edited by overherebc

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I just love the 'no dealings with industry in Thailand'

Or should I tug the forelock sir?

Keep going, I love the insults.

????????

I'm not insulting you - I'm just highlighting the fact that you have no experience or industry knowledge to back up what you are saying, yet you go around belittling people who are actually good at the work they do. And you then resort to mocking instead of offering an intelligent rebuttal based on your own experience. Do you enjoy making a fool of yourself? 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

I'm not insulting you - I'm just highlighting the fact that you have no experience or industry knowledge to back up what you are saying, yet you go around belittling people who are actually good at the work they do. And you then resort to mocking instead of offering an intelligent rebuttal based on your own experience. Do you enjoy making a fool of yourself? 

Retired project manager in oil and gas. 

From material supply and verification of compliance through to completed O&G pressure vessels and process trains.

Throw in a couple of pipelines here and other countries as well.

HRSG's but only one I admit.

Edit.

Just wanted to see how far you would go.

Edited by overherebc

I think perhaps the reporter has done some editing and changed 11kps to 11Kph and 2kps to 2kph because he/she cannot comprehend speed in space or the dreaded spellchecker has intervened perhaps the 3bn was dollars not Baht. Even so this seems a very silly idea even the UK with a similar size population has abandoned its own space efforts

11 hours ago, overherebc said:

Tell me what you KNOW about my background.

All the major engineering inventions were either European or British.

Engineering today is just fine tuning and improving what already exists.

Don't pick examples like Toyota or Triumph, production line stuff made from mostly imported parts being put together.

Quality control wasn't invented by Thai engineers. Engineers everywhere have had to accept it as part of engineer improvement but there is a growing trend to cut it as much as possible to increase production based mainly on the requirements of bean counters who see it as a waste of time and money,

( cuts the bottom line ).

There are good engineers here but many have never opened a book or kept up with the latest advances in their field.  Got degree=sit at desk with shirt and tie on.

No they weren't, the major Engineering inventions were all Russian, Mr Chekov said so and he piloted the Enterprise so it must be true

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

Retired project manager in oil and gas. 

From material supply and verification of compliance through to completed O&G pressure vessels and process trains.

Throw in a couple of pipelines here and other countries as well.

HRSG's but only one I admit.

Edit.

Just wanted to see how far you would go.

Thais aren't the easiest people to manage if they don't like you personally, or if you rudely look down on them as you seem to do. The projects you managed were likely problematic because of your own attitude to the people you were managing, or you wouldn't hold the view that they're below you. I think you need to consider your own management skills as the root cause of any problems you've had. 

The opposite is also true: I've always found Thais to be loyal, creative, collaborative and extremely hard working. If they like you, they'll excel to make you proud of them. 

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

I've always found Thais to be loyal, creative, collaborative and extremely hard working. If they like you, they'll excel to make you proud of them. 

yes, i like a few large bottles of Chang in the morning, as well. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Thais aren't the easiest people to manage if they don't like you personally, or if you rudely look down on them as you seem to do. The projects you managed were likely problematic because of your own attitude to the people you were managing, or you wouldn't hold the view that they're below you. I think you need to consider your own management skills as the root cause of any problems you've had. 

The opposite is also true: I've always found Thais to be loyal, creative, collaborative and extremely hard working. If they like you, they'll excel to make you proud of them. 

Check the first word of my post.

Retired, five or six years ago.

No need to rethink anything.

????????????

4 hours ago, RobU said:

No they weren't, the major Engineering inventions were all Russian, Mr Chekov said so and he piloted the Enterprise so it must be true

????????

The engineer was Scotty, although I could never really tell if his accent was Scottish or Irish, more like Jockanese at times.

????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Check the first word of my post.

Retired, five or six years ago.

No need to rethink anything.

????????????

Retired, or fired because your staff didn't like you and you didn't deliver for you? I've seen a lot of expat managers who look down on their Thai staff. Always the same poor result. 

26 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Retired, or fired because your staff didn't like you and you didn't deliver for you? I've seen a lot of expat managers who look down on their Thai staff. Always the same poor result. 

I've also met a lot of expat managers who seemed to set themselves up as little tin gods and actually believed all the staff loved them. 

Most of that type were so full of themselves they couldn't see the real situation.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

I've also met a lot of expat managers who seemed to set themselves up as little tin gods and actually believed all the staff loved them. 

Most of that type were so full of themselves they couldn't see the real situation.

The real situation is that managers who get along with their staff get more work done. This is true everywhere, but more so in Thailand where people will work hard for you, but only if they like and respect you as a person. 

Managers who belittle their staff usually fail in what they set out to achieve. Thais are good at reading how you feel towards them, and they reflect your own temperament back at you.

I'll bet you fell into the latter category. 

38 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

GOOGLE IT !!!

Okay I googled it. I read few articles on it. I cannot find anywhere where they are building space craft to be launched from Thailand. Only thing I find is their satellite space program. Recently said they are trying to design and build their own satellite. Also an article where they contracted out to have one built?  A far cry from mission to the moon. 

I think most countries in the world are launching their own satellites, nothing new here.

There about 15 countries that can launch their own satellites in orbit. Thailand is not on the list. Over 100 countries have satellites in orbit. 

Conclusion:   BS 

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1