The week that was in Thailand news: Good riddance 2020 - Let's hope the Year of the Ox is less of a burden!

rooster59

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO  the dumbest restriction in the year of coronavirus had to be the ban on swimming pools. AFAIK there is not one nation anywhere that has reported a COVID-19 cluster originating from one.

Properly-chlorinated swimming pools are a death-trap for bacteria and even more so viruses. It only takes 0.1 ppm of free available chlorine for effective disinfection.

Apart from a Stage 4 HEPA filtered positive pressure biological facility, a swimming pool is one of the safest places on the planet to be.

Properly chlorinated? Stage 4 HEPA filtered positive pressure?

Thai swimming pool owners are shaking and scratching their heads in bemusement and amusement. "Mai cow jai, mee nam yu yut..."

As with most things not visible to the eye, I'm sure owners around the world skimp and save money on these types of things. Hence the ban.

BTW, there was a cluster of COVID linked to a swimming pool in Australia NSW:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-23/nsw-coronavirus-exposure-locations-23-december/13009392

Those who visited the pool deck level of the Bondi Icebergs Club at certain times on December 20 and December 21 should get tested and isolate, NSW Health says.(ABC My Photo The Vertical pixel)

And another in the USA:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/23/us/arkansas-swim-party-coronavirus/index.html

"A high school swim party that I'm sure everybody thought was harmless. They're young, they're swimming, they're just having activity and positive cases resulted from that," Hutchinson said.

• Confused 2

52 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Your point, however, let me suggest the infections arose not from being in the pools, but from congregating at parties around it.

Read my post again please, the Stage 4 HEPA refers to a laboratory, not a swimming pool.

The two condos I have lived at in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai both have always been properly chlorinated. How do I know this? Most everyone's nose is a very efficient detector of chlorine, and part of my skill set is olfactory training.

Does the smell of chlorine indicate a proper level of chlorination or an over chlorinated pool? Or does it indicate uric acid or urine in the pool?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Those who visited the pool deck level of the Bondi Icebergs Club at certain times on December 20 and December 21 should get tested and isolate, NSW Health says.(ABC My Photo The Vertical pixel)

Its been some years since I have been to Sydney---but I do not think that is a swimming pool...in real terms, Its fed by the ocean. I think there has been a swimming pool built with the Condos (in the 80s) that is next to it.

27-Nov-2019-Wentworth-Courier-Bondi-Iceb

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Your point, however, let me suggest the infections arose not from being in the pools, but from congregating at parties around it.

Read my post again please, the Stage 4 HEPA refers to a laboratory, not a swimming pool.

The two condos I have lived at in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai both have always been properly chlorinated. How do I know this? Most everyone's nose is a very efficient detector of chlorine, and part of my skill set is olfactory training.

My point was we live in Thailand - there is an extremely high possibility that the swimming pool is not the best cared for feature of any given hotel / condo / swimming area.

Smell doesn't indicate a proper level of anything - it indicates a certain substance is present. Unless you use some sort of scientific measuring device, you will not be able to determine the amount (or lack of) chlorine in the water.

Furthermore, whilst chlorine may kill off any bacteria/virus in the water, it doesn't stop you catching anything when you're out of the pool - either casually walking past someone - in the changing rooms, or even putting your hand on a door to get into the facility/locker.

The kids caught COVID at an Arkansas swimming pool. Chlorine didn't prevent any of them catching it. Facts are, a simple google search "Swimming pool COVID clusters" reveals quite a lot of entries. Here's some more:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8956179/Adelaide-coronavirus-cluster-Urgent-call-visited-public-pool-isolate-immediately.html

South Australians who visited a public pool have been told they must isolate immediately as health authorities release urgent alerts for dozens of venues across the state. 

SA Health has ordered all swimmers who attended The Aquadome in Elizabeth, north of Adelaide, between 11.00am and 1.30pm on Saturday to self-quarantine for 14 days. 

The state recorded one new coronavirus infection overnight following an outbreak in north Adelaide. There are now 20 confirmed and suspected cases associated to the emerging cluster.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20201022002052320

Infections tied to an indoor swimming pool in southern Seoul reached 10, up nine over the past 24 hours.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Will the coming decade produce a new paradigm whereby humanity balanced the need for freedom, creativity, free speech, travel, and all the good things in life with the need to protect us from threats all around? 

I hope so.

I don't know.

This is the best post I ever read on TV. Thank you. I hope you share it more widely. People need to hear a voice of reason & balance. Earlier, you mention "members"--that means members of the living community, not just humans, but all life on Earth.

• Thanks 2

Well I will have a go at ... Briefly and yes ... Briefly !!! posting on Todays good Rooster collum, ...  from my mobile phone while in bed.  John with out Yoko style, right ... ...  +3.5 Hrs here in Adelaide South Australia. ...

This all being a big danger, as my English and Approach to it, is probably only just acceptable when properly writen on my pc. 

... But well yes ... CV 19 ... the "Just Too Many Rats in the Box" disease ... ... And destruction of our Environment ?  outcome. ! ... ? ... Yes things never will be the same.  NEVER. !!! ... As  well, a huge jolt this big ... never tealy can be fully turned back, ? or repaired I think. ...

But I can see an upside and things very well may ... like Just MAY ... Actualt end up getting better !!! ... Or even a LOT BETTER !!! ... depending in where you live quite possibly. ? ... Like how dense the Population preasure is where you just happen to live. .??? .. and how Diciplined your society there is ... like how well they can work together. Like I think that Yhailand will be very wrll ok in the end also. ? 

Like maybe we CAN start to slow down the destruction of the environment that suports us !!! Just for a start ? 

And here in Adelaide basicly we just have not had the Virus ... like we had an out bresk jusy recently,  of 38 people when it escsped from aState Quarintine hotel and yes via a Poorly trainef imigrant Secrity Guards. ? Once agsin ? (A <deleted>ty job but some one had to do it !!! Right) ...

And they locked down the whole state for a week ... tben they discovetd one of the culprits had lied to the contract tracers, about getting it from a pizza box ! ... and he actualy had been working there .! .. (possibly a Tax or residency permit problem for him, ... as well as their employer who had kust krpt stum also) ... So tbey oprnd every thing back up again.

But well in COVID free ... like dodged the bullet and Ant Arctia our closrst non Aistralian neighbour !!! South Audtralia, andthe Econemy is just now booming and probably better than it evet was !!! ... ... Houses have gone up 23% in the Western Suburbs, when they hardly had moved in 10 years before that !!! ... And car sails are over the moon ! ... Like every one is scared ! ... So buying a  house and a car !!! ... But also spending all of there money here ..

And not going over seas !!!

And working from home !!! ... Now the problem really looks like "How to get them all to come back to the Office" !!! ... like realestate in the country side, which was almost a ghoast town before .... Is doubeling !!! ... Like people  have realised that  they csn live better and more healthy lives in the country side .. and still get by very well thankyou very much ... by working on line !!! (Like buyimg houses or csrs ... or trading stocks !!! Right ...  Which sldo have gone up about 24% !!! here) ...

So well .. when ...eventuaky we get back to the NEW normsl !!! ... Well quite possibly things just might even be BETTER than before !!! ... ???

The above report about the Swimming pool in Northern Adrlaide was over a month ago now I think ? snd I did not hear any thing specificly about it. Well thr pool. ...  It was the "parafiekd Cluster" csme from a syaye Quarintone jotel and they could never say why ? They said that it must hsve bern air borne droplets and poor A/C ? ... But a mugrant worker got It I think ...  and took it home.  ... and having young people in it ... they drove all over Adelaide with it... ans set iff aletts every ehere !!! ... and one worked in the Woodvillr Piza bar. .. (which had to be put under Police guard, after they found out thst he lied to contact trscers about catching it from a Piza bix delivered to him ... when he sctualy worjed there and got it off the other workers who worked as security guards aldo ... bit this got the whole town shut down, as they thought it eas a new strain thst got aroing kn fast foid delivery !!!!!! )  ... 

But I think thst the oytbresk never realy got over 40 ? Or 50 people ? .. And ofcourse with that low a number, the contsct tracers, were abkr to squash it ... and we have none agsin .! ... Like lets go iut and buy a better house and Car !!! Right ? ... S. A. !!!  ....

Thanks Rooster.  Great read of the news. There are still people in parts of the world

who are gathering to protest some cause of other, and it is disturbing.  I hear of people

saying that swimming pools are great places, but it is not the pool itself that is the danger.

How does everyone get out of the pool, by the same ladder, and that is where they can easily

get in contact with the virus.  Not every pool has a shallow side with steps that allow people to 

exit the pool without touching the same area as everyone else.   Think about it.

The ocean is different as the beach is long and people can get into and out of the water far apart.

It will be a different world for a few years as even if most people get vaccinated, the Covid virus

will not be going away any time soon.  The mask wearing and social distancing will still be a

good thing to do for the next 5 years until everyone is able to be immune to this killer virus.

The new strain is a case in point, if it is more contagious, then more people will become

sick in the next while, also more people will die. There are also way to many,  Covidiots

who walk among us, and they will continue to be a frustration to all around them.

Geezer

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO  the dumbest restriction in the year of coronavirus had to be the ban on swimming pools. AFAIK there is not one nation anywhere that has reported a COVID-19 cluster originating from one.

Properly-chlorinated swimming pools are a death-trap for bacteria and even more so viruses. It only takes 0.1 ppm of free available chlorine for effective disinfection.

Apart from a Stage 4 HEPA filtered positive pressure biological facility, a swimming pool is one of the safest places on the planet to be.

In banning the pool it bans the cluster of people around the pool, in the showers and changing rooms, at the nearby bar etc. Effective social distancing control. 

6 hours ago, Keesters said:

In banning the pool it bans the cluster of people around the pool, in the showers and changing rooms, at the nearby bar etc. Effective social distancing control. 

What you say is quite correct. However, at my condo there is one open shower for rinsing before and after, everyone changes gear in their apartments, and there's no bar. Alcohol is banned in the pool area, and the maximum number of people I've ever seen there is four.

So far, I've seen about four examples on this thread of a known or suspected COVID cluster around a swimming pool. Another was a false positive, ocean pools are not chlorinated. Statistically, that's not a lot when one considers how many swimming pools there are in the world. I probably stand a better chance of being hit by lightning on a golf course.

I guess I'm bitching about the one-size-fits-all mentality of bureaucracies.

On 12/27/2020 at 11:46 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

many will argue that it was needed to protect humanity from crazy people who might acquire nukes, germs, chemicals, etc., and perhaps they were right (I think it is still too soon to tell). This second event has seen the rapid increase of technological monitoring in the name of fighting a global plague; it is difficult to argue that there hasn't been a need. However, it is a truism among those that study Politics and History that when a government, whether benign or malignant, acquires new powers and/or authorities, they don't give them up easily. Or, at all.

It is tempting to posit that future historians will look back and state that Covid-19 was the dominant factor defining the 2020s. I suspect that future historians will look back at the 2020s and discuss how the relationship between Citizen and State changed. Will the coming decade produce a new paradigm whereby humanity balanced the need for freedom, creativity, free speech, travel, and all the good things in life with the need to protect us from threats all around? 

A thoughtful excerpt from your post .  My objections to the ever growing restrictions on freedom which have been spreading around the world ( much like a virus)  by the governments and those with power are much as you describe.   To simply call those who object " tin hats"  or "conspiracy nuts"  makes me think of one word to describe such holier than thou "fact quoters".    Idiots.  People who blindly follow because they do not have the intelligence or training to understand "critical thinking".    Its all so black and white to them.  

Almost 50 % of the population is vastly overweight and unhealthy ...... but are they bombarded 24/7  with the FACT  that this WILL lead to serious health problems ?   Why not?    Shouldn't all junk food outlets (which is basically all that exists nowadays)  be closed down as public health hazards ?   Those that argue that nobody forces people to eat that stuff ,   well,    shouldn't they at least be forced to wear a mask !    (humor)

Long ago there were aritists and writers objecting to the soul destroying tendencies that arose.   1984,  Animal Farm,  One Flew over the cudkoos nest,  Stranger in a Strange Land,  George Carlin,   etc.   .   

George even posts on this forum (rarely nowdays)  even though he is well outnumbered by the  common posters.     Such is the fate of so many that choose to see things differently.

Peace,  Prosperity.................. and remember to Lock Up      ????

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

All valid points, except for one. If one can smell chlorine, it's working. The level is irrelevant , chlorine works just as well in terms of disinfection at 0.1 ppm FAC as it would at 5 ppm. Scientific measuring devices are not needed, except to tell the pool attendant whether they are overdosing and hence wasting hypochlorite.

As someone who has been involved in water and effluent treatment and analysis for many years, with a formal qualification in chemistry, I think I can claim to know what I am talking about. How about you?

I wouldn't claim to know what I'm talking about regarding chlorine, but as a medical professional, diagnostic radiologist (no longer practicing as I'm in Thailand) I do claim to know perhaps a little about the spread of infections.

15 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

I wouldn't claim to know what I'm talking about regarding chlorine, but as a medical professional, diagnostic radiologist (no longer practicing as I'm in Thailand) I do claim to know perhaps a little about the spread of infections.

In that case, perhaps you could confirm the spread of infections seem to originate mostly from environments such as meat markets and places where people are in close proximity, whereas swimming pools and golf courses are small potatoes in terms of overall contribution.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

In that case, perhaps you could confirm the spread of infections seem to originate mostly from environments such as meat markets and places where people are in close proximity, whereas swimming pools and golf courses are small potatoes in terms of overall contribution.

When we are talking about potentially catching a lethal virus, and then possibly giving that potentially lethal virus to another human being - perhaps a loved one, or a stranger - then there are no such things as 'small potatoes'.

You want to swim and think it's ridiculous that people can't swim together during this pandemic.

I think it's ridiculous (and a little selfish) that you want to put swimming before health. Suck it up and quit moaning.

Edited by 2530Ubon

2 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

When we are talking about potentially catching a lethal virus, and then possibly giving that potentially lethal virus to another human being - perhaps a loved one, or a stranger - then there are no such things as 'small potatoes'.

You want to swim and think it's ridiculous that people can't swim together during this pandemic.

I think it's ridiculous (and a little selfish) that you want to put swimming before health. Suck it up and quit moaning.

Swimming is good for the health, as someone in the medical profession should know. Risk-free in a chlorinated environment, no virus can survive.

Go back through my posts, and show where I said anything about people swimming together. IME the action of swimming ensures social distancing, so people don't get tangled up.

BTW, as someone in the medical profession you should also know the impact coronavirus is having on the  exercise patterns of people in terms of mental health. You should also know it's the obese and unfit that are most at risk from COVID-19 infection.

You think I'm selfish, I'm thinking you are exhibiting selective intelligence. I take sensible precautions, but I'm not going to lock myself in a cell, padded or otherwise, just to satisfy your point of view.

So just to clarify, you clearly acknowledged earlier that there are COVID clusters linked to people attending swimming pools. Here are your words to remind you:

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

So far, I've seen about four examples on this thread of a known or suspected COVID cluster around a swimming pool. Another was a false positive, ocean pools are not chlorinated. Statistically, that's not a lot when one considers how many swimming pools there are in the world. I probably stand a better chance of being hit by lightning on a golf course.

I guess I'm bitching about the one-size-fits-all mentality of bureaucracies.

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Risk-free in a chlorinated environment, no virus can survive

Here, you're talking nonsense. How can it be risk free and how can the entire environment be chlorinated. Your being obtuse to try and validate your point, which is ridiculous. As you yourself have rightly pointed out, people are, and have been infected, by attending a swimming pool environment. Therefore there is an inherent risk.

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IME the action of swimming ensures social distancing, so people don't get tangled up.

BTW, as someone in the medical profession you should also know the impact coronavirus is having on the  exercise patterns of people in terms of mental health. You should also know it's the obese and unfit that are most at risk from COVID-19 infection.

What does your swimming experience have to do with this? Nothing is the correct answer. Facts are thus; People have been infected by attending a swimming pool. I'm well aware that patients with an underlying condition and those with obesity are more at risk of adverse effects and death - BUT everyone has the SAME amount of risk when it comes to contracting the virus. It matters not one little bit how healthy or sick you are, you will be infected just the same. So sending these unfit/obese/depressed people to a swimming pool with the potential to catch the virus would be the stupidest thing to do. What's wrong with working out at home? You might not be able to swim, but you could definitely do some squats/push ups/sit ups etc.

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You think I'm selfish, I'm thinking you are exhibiting selective intelligence. I take sensible precautions, but I'm not going to lock myself in a cell, padded or otherwise, just to satisfy your point of view.

Yes, I most definitely think you're being selfish if you insist on going out for a swim in an enclosed environment with other people in attendance. You might be perfectly fit and healthy, and you may be in the low risk category. That doesn't prevent you from contracting the virus and passing it on to other vulnerable people. You could potentially be killing other people. I think that is the very definition of selfishness and stupidity. Social responsibility. 

Exceptions can not be made when there is a potential life and death situation. I hope that clarifies my point and we can end it here. I have nothing else to say on the matter.

37 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Exceptions can not be made when there is a potential life and death situation. I hope that clarifies my point and we can end it here.

No NO NO !  Please don't end it before telling all viewers whether it will be swords or pistols !!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

So just to clarify, you clearly acknowledged earlier that there are COVID clusters linked to people attending swimming pools. Here are your words to remind you:

Here, you're talking nonsense. How can it be risk free and how can the entire environment be chlorinated. Your being obtuse to try and validate your point, which is ridiculous. As you yourself have rightly pointed out, people are, and have been infected, by attending a swimming pool environment. Therefore there is an inherent risk.

What does your swimming experience have to do with this? Nothing is the correct answer. Facts are thus; People have been infected by attending a swimming pool. I'm well aware that patients with an underlying condition and those with obesity are more at risk of adverse effects and death - BUT everyone has the SAME amount of risk when it comes to contracting the virus. It matters not one little bit how healthy or sick you are, you will be infected just the same. So sending these unfit/obese/depressed people to a swimming pool with the potential to catch the virus would be the stupidest thing to do. What's wrong with working out at home? You might not be able to swim, but you could definitely do some squats/push ups/sit ups etc.

Yes, I most definitely think you're being selfish if you insist on going out for a swim in an enclosed environment with other people in attendance. You might be perfectly fit and healthy, and you may be in the low risk category. That doesn't prevent you from contracting the virus and passing it on to other vulnerable people. You could potentially be killing other people. I think that is the very definition of selfishness and stupidity. Social responsibility. 

Exceptions can not be made when there is a potential life and death situation. I hope that clarifies my point and we can end it here. I have nothing else to say on the matter.

Congratulations, in your rather prolix post you've put words in my mouth that were not there, a couple of red herrings, and a straw man argument. I'll just put you in the same basket as bureaucrats who think one size fits all, you have the same rigidity.

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Congratulations, in your rather prolix post you've put words in my mouth that were not there, a couple of red herrings, and a straw man argument. I'll just put you in the same basket as bureaucrats who think one size fits all, you have the same rigidity.

Those are direct quotes of your posts. Red herrings? Straw men? I thought we were discussing COVID-19. Poor poor you. Nothing to counter with other than hot air.

4 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Violence - the weapon of choice for the poor debaters and sore losers.

It was a joke, Joyce. You obviously have the same sense of humor as the average whelk.

Equally obviously, you are not familiar with the aphorism rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

• Haha 1