Thailand reports 155 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

Thailand reports 155 new COVID-19 cases 

Screenshot.jpg

Thai health officials on Tuesday confirmed 155 new COVID-19 cases.

Of the new cases, 145 were local transmissions, 11 of which were from migrant workers, 10 were imported cases from people on repatriation flights and in state quarantine centers.

There are now reported cases in 45 provinces in Thailand.

There was one new death reported, while a further 4 people have been discharged from hospital.

Tuesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 cases in Thailand to 6,440.

The number of new infections and total cases in Thailand over the last 14 days is as follows:

14 Dec: +28 (4,237)

15 Dec: +9 (4,246)

16 Dec: +15 (4,261)

17 Dec: +20 (4,281)

18 Dec: +16 (4,297)

19 Dec: +34 (4,331)

20 Dec: +576 (4,907)

21 Dec: +382 (5,289)

22 Dec: +427 (5,716)

23 Dec: +46 (5,762)

24 Dec: +67 (5,829)

25 Dec: +81 (5,910)

26 Dec: +110 (6,020)

27 Dec: +121 (6,141)

28 Dec: +144 (6,285)

29 Dec: +155 (6,440)

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-29

134 new domestic cases reported while one Covid-19 victim dies in Rayong

By The Nation

800_6ea5ac7d5e091dd.jpg?v=1609223319

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported 155 new cases over a 24-hour period on Tuesday.

Eleven migrant workers were among the 145 cases.

Three Thais and a Myanmar national in Samut Sakhon province, five in Nakhon Pathom, two in Samut Songkhram and one in Nakhon Ratchasima were linked to the recent outbreak in Samut Sakhon.

Cases linked to the outbreak at Rayong’s gambling den included one person each in Nakhon Pathom and Nonthaburi.

Officials are tracking the source of the infection in 103 cases. They include three in Bangkok, five in Nakhon Pathom, one in Lampang, three in Chanthaburi, seven in Samut Prakarn, 28 in Chonburi, and 56 in Rayong.

Ten travellers from abroad were found positive in quarantine facilities. The new cases in quarantine facilities comprised one Thai who had returned from Germany, one each from Vietnam, India, the United States, Turkey and Switzerland, and four from Bahrain.

Meanwhile, a 45-year-old man with a heart disease passed away in Rayong on Monday. He was the 61st victim in Thailand. The real cause of his death is under investigation.

Four patients have recovered and been discharged.

The total number of confirmed cases in Thailand increased to 6,440 (1,460 in state quarantine and 1,381 from active case finding), 2,195 are in hospital and 4,180 have recovered and been discharged. The death toll increased by one, bringing the total to 61.

According to Worldometer, as of 10am on Tuesday, the total number of confirmed cases had increased to 81.6 million (up by 410,102), 57.29 million have recovered, 22.07 million are active cases (105,385 in severe condition) and 1.77 million havd died (up by 7,041).

Thailand ranks 141st for most cases in the world, while the US has the most number with 19.57 million, followed by India 10.2 million, Brazil 7.48 million, Russia 3.05 million and France 2.55 million.

Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the CCSA, urged people to be aware of the situation, as the virus had spread to 45 provinces. Around 18,000 patients could get infected if no measures are applied to control the virus situation, moderate control with good cooperation will bring the total number down to around 6,000 patients, and strict measures will pull it down to 1,000 patients, he said.

He encouraged people to follow strict hygiene and social distancing, saying Thai people had achieved a victory over the first outbreak, and they can do it again with the same good approach.

“The usual seven dangerous days during the year-end, which sees hundreds of accidents when people travel on holiday, may be different this year. This New Year festival, we have to take care of ourselves,” said the spokesman.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400414

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-29

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

Has the government simply lost interest in containing the virus now?

Back in March, they hit a peak of 188 new cases in a single day after the Lumpini superspreader incident, and quickly locked the whole country down very hard. By early May, to all intents and purposes, the virus had been successfully contained, almost to the point of elimination.

In Vietnam, they had a second outbreak in late July which hit a peak of 50 cases in a single day, when they also locked down (again) quickly and hard, and within a month things were more or less under control.

As long as you catch the virus at the earliest possible stage, a hard lockdown will bring it under control, we have clear proof of that. Yet Thailand now has 155 cases in a single day, and the rate of local infections has been increasing steadily for ten days or more, and still the government is dillying and dallying as if it has no clue what to do. They're asking the populace nicely to obey the rules and restrictions, and it's clear from Europe and the US that that approach doesn't work very well, they need to force obedience as they did back in March, April and May if they don't want Thailand to end up looking like the UK or Italy.

And they have a very limited timeframe in which to do it, I saw a study some months ago which showed that you could contain the virus if you caught it before the infection rate passed a certain number of cases per day based on the size of the population, of course. For Thailand, I recall that 188 cases was within that limit, but if they allow daily cases to pass the critical number, I can't remember what it was, maybe 500 per day, then we're really stuffed.

Come on, Prayut, get your finger out and get clamping down, before it's too late and you subject us all to endless misery.

Yes there's clearly been a change of policy and it's not easy to see why. Last time round they went for the eradication style lockdown used successfully by NZ (amongst other places) and this time they are going for the containment style lockdown used unsuccessfully by most European countries, the US and others. That means a longer lockdown when it eventually comes, more deaths and collateral health damage and more damage to the economy. A strange choice to make, but I think it's as good as made now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

Has the government simply lost interest in containing the virus now?

They've lost control, now in over 40 provinces with people traveling for New Year... wait for Mid-January for the real spikes.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

They've lost control, now in over 40 provinces with people traveling for New Year... wait for Mid-January for the real spikes.

Does it mean I should stay at home and not apply for the special tourist visa?  ????????????????????????

Edited by lovethai123

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Absolutely. :drunk:

oh my buddha, 

i was going to get an STV tomorrow , enjoy the staycation at the 5 star ASQ , and spend 1000  everyday after that. I was genuinely interested in spending my money in Thailand and help those poor single moms around pattaya beach. But it appears I wouldn't travel. 

Sorry Thailand. 

Edited by lovethai123
  • Haha 1

A bit more than 2200 cases in 14 days are not alarming in countries that mass test, but when Thailand don't publish how many tests they do each day, it's hard to know if Thailand are in a good or bad shape. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHicks said:

Yes there's clearly been a change of policy and it's not easy to see why. Last time round they went for the eradication style lockdown used successfully by NZ (amongst other places) and this time they are going for the containment style lockdown used unsuccessfully by most European countries, the US and others. That means a longer lockdown when it eventually comes, more deaths and collateral health damage and more damage to the economy. A strange choice to make, but I think it's as good as made now.

Lockdown does work , also in Europe . The thing is , a rule is only as strong as it is controlled . You can say speed limit 60km/h but if there is no checking , no enforcement , then only a x% will follow those rules . The more and bigger the lockdown , the better it works . A Wuhan style lockdown is not at all the same we have in Europe . Italy/ France/Spain came close in the 1st wave but now not anymore .

Looking at the numbers , i'd say it is pretty much getting out of control , but i do not see the hospital admissions , which is a much better indication then the positives . Another this i do not see is the positive testing % , if that number is very high it also gives you a clear indication that much higher undetected .  This was certainly expected , looking at the high numbers we've seen at the market 1/2 weeks ago .