Changing schools and extending visa

nicelee808

Hi, my non b and work permit are valid until may 16 2021, my waiver from TCT us valid until 2022, but I want to change schools when my contract ends on May 16 2021 I'm a bit worried about the timing. I think if I change schools I will need to apply for new waiver from TCT and it needs to be done 30 days before visa expires or can I use the waiver for the next school

If I recall correctly the teaching waiver is tied to a particular school your are working for.

When change to another school they will have to be apply for a new work permit to get a approval letter for it and other supporting documents on the day your current extension of stay ends.

Moved to Teaching forum for input on the teaching waiver.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If I recall correctly the teaching waiver is tied to a particular school your are working for.

When change to another school they will have to be apply for a new work permit to get a approval letter for it and other supporting documents on the day your current extension of stay ends.

Moved to Teaching forum for input on the teaching waiver.

Thanks, last year had to get the waiver before wp. 

Only the number of waivers should be your concern. Generally you are allowed three. Thus you can change schools three times once you've started teaching in Thailand.

During that time you should work on obtaining the five year teaching license. This is not a waiver, it's a fancy looking card you can carry and work at different schools with. For this you will need to stay at one school for at least two years, then fill out an application, and obtain the necessary signatures from your supervisors. After this, no more waivers, and changing schools becomes a lot easier.

11 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Oops, and not to mention, also obtaining a degree in education, if you don't already have one. Several online options for this being discussed in this forum now.

12 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Only the number of waivers should be your concern. Generally you are allowed three. Thus you can change schools three times once you've started teaching in Thailand.

During that time you should work on obtaining the five year teaching license. This is not a waiver, it's a fancy looking card you can carry and work at different schools with. For this you will need to stay at one school for at least two years, then fill out an application, and obtain the necessary signatures from your supervisors. After this, no more waivers, and changing schools becomes a lot easier.

http://site.ksp.or.th/about.php?site=englishsite&SiteMenuID=4616

Doesn't mention teaching at a school for 2 years, says teaching not less than a year.

11 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Oops, and not to mention, also obtaining a degree in education, if you don't already have one. Several online options for this being discussed in this forum now.

Got my first waiver 8 months ago, nearly finish post grad. Dip. In Ed.

2 hours ago, nicelee808 said:

Doesn't mention teaching at a school for 2 years, says teaching not less than a year.

It's one year, or 365 days. Not one day less, or they send you away.

The school needs to fill out an evaluation form, three Thai teachers need to give you a copy of their license. You'll get the documents here:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nicelee808 said:

Got my first waiver 8 months ago, nearly finish post grad. Dip. In Ed.

It will take quite a while until you get your Diploma. They're usually produced in the Philippines and your existing BA will be integrated into the transcripts of your Diploma. 

They'll also give you a sealed letter for Khurusapha. (TCT)

If you change school, you must have been there for one year to apply for the license. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

It's one year, or 365 days. Not one day less, or they send you away.

Indeed. They count the days from when you first received your work permit.

You're technically not supposed to be teaching without a work permit. Yet once you've taken a job, due to the ridiculous process that ensues, it's practically impossible to get the WP once you start teaching. And the schools want you to teach regardless. Most teachers get it 3-5 months into the term, even more now given Covid related delays. Also cutting into the time is the fact most school's academic terms are less than 365 days.

Thus, everyone says you should've been working at the same school for two years, before applying for the full teaching license.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Indeed. They count the days from when you first received your work permit.

You're technically not supposed to be teaching without a work permit. Yet once you've taken a job, due to the ridiculous process that ensues, it's practically impossible to get the WP once you start teaching. And the schools want you to teach regardless. Most teachers get it 3-5 months into the term, even more now given Covid related delays. Also cutting into the time is the fact most school's academic terms are less than 365 days.

Thus, everyone says you should've been working at the same school for two years, before applying for the full teaching license.

One year is enough. And that wasn't too long ago. 

So there are quite a lot of schools that are fine with foreigners who have their own visa sorted out. You can go that route also if you are able to financially.

These work permit waivers are a joke. How is someone supposed to continue to teach when they are willing to study and yet no waiver is given.

This places teaches one to be okay with corruption or the ability to 'pay.'

What may end up happening is your new school getting into contact with the previous school which includes them talking about your character and why you left etc. Yeah when you switch schools you have to do all that <deleted> again. Hopefully they do it for you. Good luck!