Phuket Opinion: A long way to go

rooster59

Phuket Opinion: A long way to go

By The Phuket News

1609621214_1-org.jpg

A screenshot from CCTV footage included in this year’s anti-drunk driving campaign shows just before a motorbike is struck at speed by car. Image: PRD

PHUKET: The Seven Days of Danger road-safety campaign for New Year 2021 is nearly over, and it feels like Phuket has already lost. Not for the number of people being reported as killed or injured, but for what appears to be a plain lack of effort to prevent any accidents at all.

So far officials recognise one death on Phuket’s roads since the campaign began at midnight on Monday night, with 28 more people injured in 28 accidents. These are the figures recognised by the Phuket Provincial office of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM-Phuket).

However, the national Thai Road Safety Committee (ThaiRSC) disagrees – and the difference is important.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-a-long-way-to-go-78521.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-01-03

I don't understand why they don't instal automatic speed cameras on every bigger road. Apart from generating a nice revenue for the government, it would also be a learning curve for all drives: If you exceed the speed limit, you get a fine each time. They do that a few times and everyone will eventually drive slower.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, asiasurfer said:

I don't understand why they don't instal automatic speed cameras on every bigger road. Apart from generating a nice revenue for the government, it would also be a learning curve for all drives: If you exceed the speed limit, you get a fine each time. They do that a few times and everyone will eventually drive slower.

They have a few....probably none working now, but after something like 3 million fines sent out, I think only 3% were paid.....no-one cares!

14 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

They have a few....probably none working now, but after something like 3 million fines sent out, I think only 3% were paid.....no-one cares!

Thats the whole point .these cameras cost a lot of $$ to put in and maintain and if nobody pays the fines its not viable.if they had demerit points system and cancelled the speedsters licence..that wouldnt work either because most of them probably dont have one.