What Historic Bangkok Bars Do We Have Left?

Bangkok changes so fast and a lot of old bars are gone.

But I am in the mood for a historical pub crawl (after covid). I wanna try them before they are no more. And if anyone fancies joining on such a pub crawl, lemme know!

I know about the Madrid and the Old Other Office, but what else is there?

Doesn't necessarily have to be Vietnam War era, but just bars that have been around since the 90s at least.

Cheers.

• Like 2

When I think of bars that have been around say since I first arrived in BKK most of them seem to be hotel bars eg as above. Or say the wine bar on G floor of the Hyatt Erawan and the nightclub next to it, used to go a lot but not been for many years.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

There are still a few knocking around, but most have been blitzed in the name of 'progress'  mainly for sh*tty poncey 'finger food', ' craft beer'  'hipster/flashpacker' (really!) places, I doubt few bars in Bangkok now, would make those old 'best bars in Asia' lists. All I can think of are is the Chequers, the Bier Garten, Sexy Nite (Nana) Superstar (Patpong) the Huntsman, even Gulliver's (Soi 5 Suk, or KSrd), Morning /Night and Stumble Inn (Nana), which feel like 'new' bars to me, are approaching 'vintage' status,  

Ah yes , Chequers, that brings back memories. I got taken there my first week in BKk, did not venture into the Plaza though, that came some weeks later! 

Edited by wordchild

I guess what you would call old bars are all gone, Cheap Charlies, Check-In, And the old favorite Golden Beer Bar at Nana Hotel. Hilaries is still around but new and not improved. The string of Bars under the express way have been gone for a while and the Saxophone Bar Victory Monument. O well the beat goes on.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, moe666 said:

I guess what you would call old bars are all gone, Cheap Charlies, Check-In, And the old favorite Golden Beer Bar at Nana Hotel. Hilaries is still around but new and not improved. The string of Bars under the express way have been gone for a while and the Saxophone Bar Victory Monument. O well the beat goes on.

Cheap Charlies moved to On Nut a few years ago, similar set up, but not the same. Good call though, classic bar....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, moe666 said:

The Saxophone Bar at Victory Monument is still around. The closure they announced last Friday is only temporary due to covid according to their website.

Edited by mark5335

13 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

how about Wongs, on Ngam Dupli? Was still there and very unchanged a couple of months ago when I passed it. Very "old Bangkok".

Or Jack's Bar on the river near the ShangriLa - never changes.

Good call on Jack's1 Wongs I do not know although I have heard of it.

49 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

It was Delaneys originally.  Then it changed its name a couple of times to Shenanigans then Molly Malone's.

The Bull's Head is kind of still there but now as the Royal Oak and just not the same.  

There was a time when Dr. Blues, and also The Soi Dogs Blues Band were playing there on Sunday afternoon.

Walked into Safari bar after not being there for 8 years & 2 dancers jumped off the stage like it was yesterday, sexy night , to name a couple, Hang Out Pub which moved from Soi 11 to Suhhumvit Soi 6  but with covid many old & new bars will be gone once this Covid sh  t is over.

Sad

"Sexy Nights" & "DC-10" still side-by-side at Nana Plaza though DC-10 did have a hideous renovation 7 or 8 years ago and went semi-LB.  Not sure if AngelWitch survived covid closures.  "Lucky Luke's" still in the same spot as is "Big Dogs" & "Morning Night" .

"Stickman" had a great write-up in his latest issue about various NP bar owners over the years as well as a link to an article about the notorious "Greg".  Still good reading after all these years.

Don't think I'm allowed to post a link but easy to find.