Converting a 60 day extension to visit Thai family to a one year marriage visa

I just made a one week trip to Phuket from Chiang Khan and while I was there, my employer asked me to meet his lawyer at immigration in Phuket Town. I already had a signed termination letter that was effective on March 1, 2021 so I wasn't too worried about it but when I got to immigration for the meeting, my company lawyer was making no progress with the immigration officer and I kept hearing the officer tell him in Thai that I had to deal with Loei immigration office for everything. I could see that things were not going well so I decided to take a chance and I showed my prior marriage visa from Savanahkept from 2016 in my old passport and the 4 other extensions over the last 3 years in my current passport. The first two were work visa with Thai wife but the last two were business visas that our incompetent company lawyer decided to change it to.  As soon as the immigration officer looked through the old passport and the new passport, he offered to provide me 60 day extension to visit my wife in Chiang Khan if I would go ahead and cancel my work permit that day and provide him three documents from my Thai wife and some photos.

1. Wife's ID card

2. Tambien Ban House book

3. Marriage Certificate

4. 1900 baht

5. One Photo and a bunch of forms to fill out

My wife in Chiang Khan took photos of these documents required with here smart phone and sent them to me on LINE. I then sent them to the photocopy lady downstairs at immigration to her LINE account. She then printed out the documents and took my photo with her smart phone and we returned to the immigration to show him what we had. He ran them over to the big boss who approved the extension as soon as we cancelled the work permit and showed him the document from the labor office.

The lawyer and I rushed over the labor office and got the forms and he filled out his part and sent me to my employer for the final signature. After lunch, we returned to the labor office and my work permit was cancelled. We then returned to immigration and submitted all the documents and forms and after 10 minutes I got my extension.Gary 60 day extension.pdf

I transferred 450,000 baht from my retirement account in the US to my Kasikorn savings account on December 14. So on February 12, I will have had that money in my account for 60 days. Since my extension is good until February 25, my plan was to go to the immigration office on Monday, February 15 and apply for the one year extension base on marriage and sufficient funds. Chiang Khan immigration has given me a letter in Thai language that lists all the required documents that must be submitted with my application for extension. 

From my wife's translation of attached document, I have typed the following:

1. Completed immigration forms

2. Two photos 4 cm x 6 cm

3.  Copy of every page of current passport with signature on each page

4.  Marriage Certificate Koror 2 with signature (issued by ampur less than 1 month before application for marriage extension)

5.  Marriage Certificate Koror 3 with signature

6.  Copy of ID card of wife

7.  Copy of Tambien Ban for wife

8.  Copy of Name Change certificated for wife

9.  Copy of ID card for daughter

10. Copy of Tambien Ban for daughter

11. Copy of Birth Certificate for daughter

12. Possibly document signed by embassy that there is no marriage prior to this marriage without a prior divorce document provided

13. TM30 completed by wife

14. Rental contract with landlord (Wife)?

15. Bank letter showing more than 400,000 baht deposited for minimum of 60 days

16. Bank book updated on day of application for extension

OR

17. Prove income of more than 40,000 baht per month for the entire year before application for extension

18. Tax letter from employer showing taxes paid on the minimum 40,000 baht of income

19. Bank statements from home country showing minimum 40,000 baht per month income for the entire year

20. Photos of family in front of the house residence

21. Map showing location of house and how to get there from local immigration office

21. Husband and wife must appear for marriage extension 

22. Bring all original documents and provide copies of each with signature

If I have forgotten something please remind me.

Immigration list.pdf

9 hours ago, walt1 said:

I also had to bring a non blood relative witness to the office and then later when the IO came to the house they also had to be there.

Can you tell me what province you were in when you needed to supply a witness? Did the IO come to your house before the marriage extension was issued? I have a witness who is an acquaintance of the Nai Ampur of my Ampur. He is Thai and no relation and he has been to my house but he has only lived here for one year.

16 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Also AFIK to the best of my knowledge your need for the Marriage Certificate Koror 3 depends on the date of your marriage if recent it will be available but the date they first became available is around 8 years ago, 

Kor Ror3 is the marriage certificate.

Been around for years and years.

Kor Ror 2 is the register entry also been around for years and years.

11 hours ago, fishtank said:

Kor Ror3 is the marriage certificate.

Been around for years and years.

Kor Ror 2 is the register entry also been around for years and years.

I may well have miss remembered the document numbers, I certainly miss called the document name.

in Udon immigration asks for 3 documents 

1) KR 2 (or KR22 if non Thai marriage)

2) pretty marriage certificate (KR ?) (3?)

3) pretty change of name certificate (KR ?) (5?)

the change of name certificate is the new one and was introduced (or was first given out) about 8 years ago.

SWMBO and I do not have and can’t get number 3 as like the pretty marriage certificate it is not issued afterwards.

So though on the list it is age of marriage  related and so not compulsory if the marriage was before the start date.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

SWMBO and I do not have and can’t get number 3 as like the pretty marriage certificate it is not issued afterwards.

So though on the list it is age of marriage  related and so not compulsory if the marriage was before the start date.

Immigration has never asked for a name change certificate. Perhaps they are smart enough to know my wife did not get one a little over 19 years ago when we registered our marriage. She had no choice then other than taking my family name.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration has never asked for a name change certificate. Perhaps they are smart enough to know my wife did not get one a little over 19 years ago when we registered our marriage. She had no choice then other than taking my family name.

Did you mean that you have never been asked for one? In that event SWMBO and I are in the same position, though we were able to choose for her to keep her family name, she didn’t.

In Udon Thani immigration office it is a requirement on their list, but as I mentioned it was (to the best of my knowledge) introduced relatively recently, maybe 2013, so if married before that you will not have (can’t get) one 

46 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Did you mean that you have never been asked for one?

Yes

47 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

In that event SWMBO and I are in the same position, though we were able to choose for her to keep her family name, she didn’t.

They changed the law in 2002 if I recall correctly that required a woman to take her husbands family name when the registration was done.

Not sure when they started issuing name change certificates but they maybe able to issue one retroactively.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure when they started issuing name change certificates but they maybe able to issue one retroactively.

The certificate (KR5) is a little similar to the marriage one but mostly green decorative rather than multicoloured.

first issued in 2008 the information I have is that if married in 2007 and earlier you can not get a certificate. The information in the certificate is in the KR2 on page 2. 

I have assumed that the name change certificate is similar to the marriage certificate in that you can not get a new one.

Here is a sample, not mine but available as a Google search,

0D375C72-3ABC-4C48-85FD-32D29A2CA4D0.thumb.jpeg.fa9af024f8b8306a970a4bce1ba2d12d.jpeg