UK travellers ‘will not be blocked’ over mutated Covid-19 strain

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Janner1 said:

Minor Ailment !!!  Where have you been living?

Given up to a third are asymptomatic and the rate of hospitalization is a couple of percent for under 50s, I stand by it being a "a minor ailment to most".

Where do you get your stupid information from?

The CDC and Office for National Statistics.

In other news from the UK, they are talking about having a negative covid test before entering there too.

I've also heard that in Canada they will require a negative covid test 72 hours prior to arrival, in addition to a 14 day quarantine.  The penalty there for breaking quarantine rules is 750k and 6 months in prison.  

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Your usual rubbish.  They have made a perfectly sensible decision - as I told you before, the family were found to have the virus whilst in quarantine which is exactly what qurantine is for.

You're still going on about this?  Isn't that lovely.... 

16 minutes ago, ewingjm said:

Minor Ailment !!!  Where have you been living?

Given up to a third are asymptomatic and the rate of hospitalization is a couple of percent for under 50s, I stand by it being a "a minor ailment to most".

Where do you get your stupid information from?

The CDC and Office for National Statistics.

I stand by all  that I said to you and add this, Turn the page you read from the right way up and read from left to right and you just might see that your assumptions are rubbish

17 hours ago, ewingjm said:

Let's not forget that the average age at death from COVID-19 in the UK is a whopping 82. A nurse being interviewed on TV recently was also called out for claiming that the wards were full of children - apparently, this was a complete fabrication. The vast, vast majority of hospitalisations are the elderly.

Once all ICU beds and ventolators are in use, there will be flow on effects to those who require treatment due to disease, accidents, assaults, etc. I hope it doesn't get to that, but it could. Just look at Los Angeles country. 400-500 deaths per day (with a population of 10 million - thats equivanent to 2500-3000 deaths per day for the UK. 

12 minutes ago, Janner1 said:

I stand by all  that I said to you and add this, Turn the page you read from the right way up and read from left to right and you just might see that your assumptions are rubbish

If you don't like hearing it from me, you can find plenty of sources acknowledging it as a mild disease in the majority of cases. I'm sorry if you're in one of the 'at-risk' categories, but that has no bearing on the facts. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ewingjm said:

If you don't like hearing it from me, you can find plenty of sources acknowledging it as a mild disease in the majority of cases. I'm sorry if you're in one of the 'at-risk' categories, but that has no bearing on the facts. 

If you spoke the truth I would have no problem hearing from you but the facts are that this is not a mild disease far from it, almost a thousand people died in the U.K. yesterday in one day, and you think it is a mild disease??

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ewingjm said:

You mean like this?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsduetocoronaviruscovid19comparedwithdeathsfrominfluenzaandpneumoniaenglandandwales/deathsoccurringbetween1januaryand31august2020

image.png.c6de7ecdadbfac6aef0e200e5ec38a58.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Janner1 said:

If you spoke the truth I would have no problem hearing from you but the facts are that this is not a mild disease far from it, almost a thousand people died in the U.K. yesterday in one day, and you think it is a mild disease??

9 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I said it's a minor ailment for most people. This is what the World Health Organisation say:

image.png.b81f1733d2b9c5e573aa964ca41ed699.png

Coronavirus (who.int)

It's hardly a controversial statement.

Edited by ewingjm
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

There could be restrictions coming back to the UK though, now we are no longer in the EU.

Almost certain - looks like they are finally going to require ALL travellers to have to quarantine when they enter the UK. Announcement coming from Michael Gove soon apparently.

Edited by KhaoYai

4 hours ago, ewingjm said:

said it's a minor ailment for most people. This is what the World Health Organisation say:

Ah now I see where you are getting your information from, The World Health Organisation the very organisation who in February 2020 and maintained it through March and into April when people had started to die in large numbers and China in a panic built 7 brand new fully equipped hospitals in around 7 days said there was no need to panic as there was no pandemic only a flu outbreak

Why did they do that ? Well China was and is the biggest contributor to the wealth of said organisation so why do you think they said it?

It is time for you to open your particular book of fake news on a new page because you certainly should not be espousing it on this one.

But before you go you should suck on this! Today we have

62,000 new infections in one day

1028 good people have died in the last 24 hours

And just so you know all about this MINOR AILMENT 

We, as of today have 30,000 very sick people in hospitals across the U.K. struggling to get a breath.

All because of in your words a Mild Ailment

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Janner1 said:

Ah now I see where you are getting your information from, The World Health Organisation the very organisation who in February 2020 and maintained it through March and into April when people had started to die in large numbers and China in a panic built 7 brand new fully equipped hospitals in around 7 days said there was no need to panic as there was no pandemic only a flu outbreak

Why did they do that ? Well China was and is the biggest contributor to the wealth of said organisation so why do you think they said it?

It is time for you to open your particular book of fake news on a new page because you certainly should not be espousing it on this one.

But before you go you should suck on this! Today we have

62,000 new infections in one day

1028 good people have died in the last 24 hours

And just so you know all about this MINOR AILMENT 

We, as of today have 30,000 very sick people in hospitals across the U.K. struggling to get a breath.

All because of in your words a Mild Ailment

It was really just the first Google result, I don't rate WHO at all and agree that they were fully complicit in China's cover-up. Anyway, here it is from Public Health England, maybe that'll do it for you - 

image.png.ebeb6fa16ee7038ea534c2b8fd399848.png

Info_sheetI_Symptoms_COVID19_1.0 (england.nhs.uk)

More fake news, I guess.

5 hours ago, ewingjm said:

While it is true that 80% of the people who have it show no to mild symptoms, 20% of the world's population, should this continue to spread unchecked, is over 1 billion people who could die or have serious long term complications due to this mild ailment virus. It also gets worse based on the country you're in and the health care that's available, so in some situations where you might otherwise live, you might die simply because the hospital is full/understaffed, or you just happen to be in the wrong city or country.

In what universe does it make sense to expose that many people to such a risk?

That's why the world is closed.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, hydraides said:

Nice profile picture, MR fearful! ............Give it a rest about Cov-id19!

Btw If you check what happened in Italy, in Bergamo, Lombardy..... That province had 100,000 deaths vs 60,000 deaths for the 2nd highest province in 2019 - Before Cov-Id!!!! Check: https://www.statista.com/statistics/569435/number-of-deaths-in-italy-by-region/ That area has a very high elderly population + Bad air pollution,  That's what it usually like there but the media wanted to make it look like a disaster was happening there because of Cov-Id

The chance of someone Aged 50 and under catching/dying of cov-id is extremely small, they have more risk of dying in a traffic accident

-The NHS is at the same capacity/patients as last years....SO STOP SPREADING LIES. Most people are going into NHS hospital for something else BUT are tested positive for Cov-id19.

-The main problems are arising from the fact nurses have to self isolate if they test positive (staff shortages) etc

and alot of it comes from the pharma companies making it look bad as they want to make money they say its at cost but i doubt it they are making thousands also hospital staff will go along with it as they want to keep their jobs

35 minutes ago, dcnx said:

In what universe does it make sense to expose that many people to such a risk?

That's why the world is closed.

I don't disagree with lockdowns for the moment - I think lockdown until the at-risk groups are vaccinated is probably a balanced and sensible approach. Lockdowns do have an expiry date, though, and I don't think governments would hesitate to start lifting restrictions at the point where the economic impact of the cure becomes worse than the disease. That would also be sensible, because the most economically active groups are - in most cases - only faced with a mild illness.

Edited by ewingjm
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 7:10 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

truth is that the situation in the U.K. is very bad, and reminds italy in march 2020.

the health system is on brink of collpase, hospitals

are full of sick people, also young, and ambulabces do not respond to calls anymore, or come very late,

the lockdown is for unlimited time, and some experts say only next year, yes, 2022, U.K. will come out

of this mess.

Silly hyperbole

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VBF said:

The facts (International travel FROM UK is banned whilst UK is in lockdown) are on BBC and the UK Gov sites as ever - easy to find

You're correct, those sites are easy to find and they establish that travel is NOT BANNED.

International travel

You can only travel internationally – or within the UK – where you first have a legally permitted reason to leave home. In addition, you should consider the public health advice in the country you are visiting.

If you do need to travel overseas (and are legally permitted to do so, for example, because it is for work), even if you are returning to a place you’ve visited before, you should look at the rules in place at your destination and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) travel advice.

UK residents currently abroad do not need to return home immediately. However, you should check with your airline or travel operator on arrangements for returning.

Foreign nationals are subject to the ‘Stay at Home’ regulations. You should not travel abroad unless it is permitted. This means you must not go on holiday.

If you are visiting the UK, you may return home. You should check whether there are any restrictions in place at your destination.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home#international-travel

International Travel is severely restricted but it is not banned.  I'm pretty sure that if questioned (and judging by the first two lockdowns, that's unlikely) anyone who said "I'm going home to visit my wife" or "I work in Thailand, "I live in Thailand" etc. etc. will not have a problem.

That said, I think that the restrictions themselves will lead to a cessation in travel as airlines will almost certainly start cancelling flights.  The ability to travel from the UK to Thailand in the near future will probably depend on whether or not the Thai Embassy continues its repatriation flights.

People should be aware that it is highly likely that they will be required to quarantine if they return as the UK government is planning introducing a new policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2021 at 4:23 PM, Mango Bob said:

No you can not come here, oh yes you can come here.  No wonder nobody knows what the hell is going on.   Forget about tourist coming here Only those in love will  be coming.  The government and it leadership has again screwed this up.  They should be the last ones to get the vaccine after every Thai has been given two jabs.

Well, I disagree. Give the leaders the very first doses, if it goes wrong, no damage done.

21 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

How is there any way to be sure of this?  It could just as easily have originated in another country, where they are not testing for variants, and it was simply first noticed here.  Or it was discovered but the country suppressed the information.

You would need to have proof that the variant never entered the UK.

We can only be certain that it was first discovered and publicised in the UK.

Little Rubber Boats?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2021 at 10:23 PM, Mango Bob said:

No you can not come here, oh yes you can come here.  No wonder nobody knows what the hell is going on.   Forget about tourist coming here Only those in love will  be coming.  The government and it leadership has again screwed this up.  They should be the last ones to get the vaccine after every Thai has been given two jabs.

What nonsense. It was recommended by someone to consider banning entries from the UK. The government, quiet rightly and sensibly rejected the idea.

Your post is a great example of twisting the actual facts to bash a government.

Do you work for Reuters?

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You're correct, those sites are easy to find and they establish that travel is NOT BANNED.

International travel

You can only travel internationally – or within the UK – where you first have a legally permitted reason to leave home. In addition, you should consider the public health advice in the country you are visiting.

If you do need to travel overseas (and are legally permitted to do so, for example, because it is for work), even if you are returning to a place you’ve visited before, you should look at the rules in place at your destination and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) travel advice.

UK residents currently abroad do not need to return home immediately. However, you should check with your airline or travel operator on arrangements for returning.

Foreign nationals are subject to the ‘Stay at Home’ regulations. You should not travel abroad unless it is permitted. This means you must not go on holiday.

If you are visiting the UK, you may return home. You should check whether there are any restrictions in place at your destination.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home#international-travel

International Travel is severely restricted but it is not banned.  I'm pretty sure that if questioned (and judging by the first two lockdowns, that's unlikely) anyone who said "I'm going home to visit my wife" or "I work in Thailand, "I live in Thailand" etc. etc. will not have a problem.

That said, I think that the restrictions themselves will lead to a cessation in travel as airlines will almost certainly start cancelling flights.  The ability to travel from the UK to Thailand in the near future will probably depend on whether or not the Thai Embassy continues its repatriation flights.

People should be aware that it is highly likely that they will be required to quarantine if they return as the UK government is planning introducing a new policy.

Yes - I should have said it's illegal to travel within or from UK except for certain reasons - as your post says. I also agree with your assertion that one probably won't be questioned.

Haven't seen anything about new quarantine rules though, but Thailand might well go back on the existing list of countries from where one has to quarantine. There is talk of introducing testing on arrival in UK.

14 hours ago, ewingjm said:

It was really just the first Google result, I don't rate WHO at all and agree that they were fully complicit in China's cover-up. Anyway, here it is from Public Health England, maybe that'll do it for you - 

image.png.ebeb6fa16ee7038ea534c2b8fd399848.png

Info_sheetI_Symptoms_COVID19_1.0 (england.nhs.uk)

More fake news, I guess.

That information was first published in March 2020 before the full severity was known, since then schools are closed shops,Gyms, and all other areas where mass people congregate including family homes are closed to more than two people, All ages from new born babies through children, adults and the elderly are being treated in hospital for severe Covid 19 infection.

Almost 63,000 new infections and 1,028 deaths yesterday, this is not people who have died from heart attacks or some other natural cause, these are people who have died within 28 days of a positive Covid test.

You have used old out dated information to further your cause, information that was published at the same time that public health said Covid did not affect the young, all of which has been proven incorrect.

As far as I am concerned you are a lost cause and I give up on you but in doing so I ask one thing from you, millions across the world have been affected by Covid and as yet no one knows what long term effect this will have on the health of nations, likewise we will never know the true death rate because to many governments like China do not want to be truthful so I ask you just to spare a thought for all of those people, and I will genuinely hope that you will never experience any aspect of this minor ailment.

Further dialogue with you is ended

On 1/5/2021 at 6:54 PM, Soikhaonoiken said:

Why the big change of heart, did you do your research and discovered that this new strain of covid 19 originated in South Africa, and not the UK, or is it that the UK, might just ban travellers from Thailand.... 

The New strain has nothing to do with South Africa and was raging before another new strain was brought into the country by travellers from South Africa.   The crazy thing is that the UK is still allowing untested travellers into the country. 

On 1/5/2021 at 7:47 PM, ewingjm said:

The groups that COVID-19 poses the most risk to should be vaccinated by then - allowing the rest of us to carry on. The young and groups not considered to be at risk likely won't be vaccinated until some time in 2022. However, that won't be an issue given that it's a minor ailment to most.

Yes older people are dying but many Young people are having bad after effects. They call it "Long Covid"  it can last for months and apparently very debilitating. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 7:21 PM, Kadilo said:

4) we have just had an update from Boris the Baffoon where he has said he expects the lockdown and things to being to get back to “normal” by Spring. 

Bonkin' Boris is incapable of telling the truth.  Remember - we will get all our fish back; there will be no border check in the Irish Sea  .......

22 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

Bonkin' Boris is incapable of telling the truth.  Remember - we will get all our fish back; there will be no border check in the Irish Sea  .......

Sadly, he's been trying to "please all the people all the time" with his rhetoric.

The end result is him pleasing very few of us most of the time and confusing the hell out of many of us! 

On 1/5/2021 at 7:10 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

truth is that the situation in the U.K. is very bad, and reminds italy in march 2020.

the health system is on brink of collpase, hospitals

are full of sick people, also young, and ambulabces do not respond to calls anymore, or come very late,

the lockdown is for unlimited time, and some experts say only next year, yes, 2022, U.K. will come out

of this mess.

This is the message from our Prime Minister in the UK.

The Lockdown is a PREVENTATIVE measure not a response to crisis

The lockdown will end once our vaccine programme is complete which is likely to be April 2021

The UK is the most effective deliverer of Covid Vaccine in the World

UK has 63 million population and is running a very effective vaccination programme.

Thailand has 68 million and has not yet started a vaccination programme even though the AZ vaccine is scheduled to be produced in Thailand

The nightingale hospitals have not yet been opened so the NHS is NOT overwhelmed and on the brink of collapse

The ambulance  services are working normally, they respond within 15 minutes maximum

Many people have covid with no symptoms

My uncle is 100 years old he has tested positive for covid and has no ill effects

Stop trying to create fake news are you Chinese or Russian? You obviously cannot spell English words or even your pretend surname properly.

Dear Citizen

Whilst there is no doubt our collective efforts had been working in fighting the old variant of the virus, this new variant is confirmed to be between 50% and 70% more transmissible.

In just the last week we have seen deaths sadly up by 20% and the number of Covid patients in English hospitals alone increase by nearly a third, to almost 27,000.

And yesterday the UK’s Chief Medical Officers advised that the country should move to alert level 5, meaning that if action is not taken NHS capacity may be overwhelmed within 21 days.

With most of the country already under extreme measures, it is clear that we need to do more, together, to bring this new variant under control while our vaccines are rolled out.

There is of course one huge difference compared to last year. We are now rolling out the biggest vaccination programme in our history.

So far, we in the UK have vaccinated more people than the rest of Europe combined.

And with the arrival this week of the UK’s own Oxford University / AstraZeneca vaccine, the pace of vaccination is accelerating.

Meaning that by the middle of February, if things go well, we expect to have offered the first vaccine dose to everyone in the four top priority groups.

And of course, if everyone plays their part by following the rules, that will eventually enable us to lift many of the restrictions we have endured for so long.

The weeks ahead will be the hardest yet, but I really do believe that we are entering the last phase of the struggle.

Because with every jab that goes into our arms, we are tilting the odds against Covid and in favour of the British people.

But for now, I am afraid, you must once again: Stay home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.

Thank you

Boris Johnson
Prime Minister

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong. I think the Thai government have done an amazingly effective job in controlling Covid-19. If the UK had closed its borders and introduced compulsory quarantine camps and hotels before allowing visitors back into the population we would not be in the extreme situation we have now.