New year road carnage: Nearly 400 dead - north of Thailand worst for accidents/fatalities

webfact

New year road carnage: Nearly 400 dead - north of Thailand worst for accidents/fatalities

RE.jpg
REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

An infographic on the road death and injury toll during December 29th to January 4th published by Naew Na gave the following information:

Accidents : 3,333
Injuries: 3,326
Deaths: 392

Leading causes:

Speeding 33.6%
DUI: 33.06%
Close quarter maneuvers: 16.23%

Vehicles involved in most accidents:

Motorcycles: 82.54%
Pick-ups: 6.19%
Cars: 3.05%

Where accidents occurred most:

Straight roads: 65.77%
Bends: 17.31%
Intersections: 14.76%

Times when most accidents occurred:

4 to 8pm: 27.45%
Noon to 4pm: 19.53%
Midnight to 4am: 15.21% 

Worst province for accidents: Chiang Mai with 115.
Worst province for injuries: Chiang Mai with 117.
Worst province for fatalities: Chiang Rai with 18.

Source: Naew Na

around 500 dead are at each public holidays in thailand.

New year holiday suppose to be less traffic on the roads, because of lock downs, restrictions due to covid.

Yes, as many victims, as always.

The true statistics, according to international standards, take into consideration those, who died from injuries within 30 after the accident. So the true figure is around 800

10 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Keeping the population growth in check has its benefits.

There is no population growth in Thailand. In fact it's declining. And before you say it, it's not all down to traffic accidents!

26 minutes ago, internationalism said:

The true statistics, according to international standards, take into consideration those, who died from injuries within 30 after the accident. So the true figure is around 800

Within 30 what?

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

That's right. It's been that way for as long as I've been here, about 7 years. The '7 dangerous days' that they spout on about is a complete fallacy. Every day is a dangerous day, statistically.

Couldn't agree more, Moonlover! I think there even was an article about that a few years ago showing that this whole "7 dangerous days" headlining is a sham when taking the numbers of the whole year into account.

Looks like everyone had a smashing new year's eve then... good! ????

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

There is no population growth in Thailand. In fact it's declining. And before you say it, it's not all down to traffic accidents!

Just for you.

Keeping the population decline in check has its benefits.

It all follows the same curve wherever you apply the factors. Diagrams available on the www.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Artisi said:
3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Plus passengers in the bed of pick ups.

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

Did you note the percentage of accidents for pick-ups, can you extrapolate that into deaths? 

I've long noted that pick ups are always in 2nd place after motorcycles when it come to the type of vehicle involved in accidents.

That's never been a surprise to me, given the number of them on the roads and the way they're often driven, but I've never seen actual figures for deaths relating to those accidents. But just from reports on this forum there are certainly a lot.

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

The general consensus regarding annual road deaths in Thailand is around 24k to 26k a year, including hospital deaths. That means around 66 to 71 per day. So somewhat lower than your guesstimation. 

5 minutes ago, internationalism said:

I don't know about general consensus, but UN estimates 35k per year, that figure was always on wikipedia. Thai statistics are counting dead on the spot, they don't include those who died within 30 days (as is an international standard)

Believe they do for final count. 

1 hour ago, Paul Henry said:

The main people to blame for these horrific statistics is the Government. All talk no action.

Horse manure. The main people to blame for this carnage are the drivers/riders. The government does not drive drunk, speed, not wear seat belts or helmets, ghost ride, run red lights,  crash on straight roads. Drivers and riders do.

Pity Scott did not read or understand what my comments said. I did not say the govt broke the driving laws I clearly stated that they did not do what is required of them. That is ENFORCE the law and IMPROVE driver education. These basics work in the rest of the world so why not in Thailand. I stand by my comments.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Horse manure. The main people to blame for this carnage are the drivers/riders. The government does not drive drunk, speed, not wear seat belts or helmets, ghost ride, run red lights,  crash on straight roads. Drivers and riders do.

The government does not and cannot  personally participate in your list, but on the other hand they do <deleted>-all to remedy the problem that allows and even encourages this crazy behaviour on Thai roads. 

It would appear you need to rethink your stance on the causes of the unacceptable ongoing slaughter of its citizens. 

2 hours ago, Happyman567 said:

Saw a guy on a motor bike speeding past me when i was walking No helmet and he was bending over to break wind resistance. He was moving and he looked about 15  Another guy who wants to die

I call them temporary Thai's.