Twitter permanently suspends Trump's account, cites 'incitement of violence' risk

rooster59

1 hour ago, GrandPapillon said:

because those digital platforms have such an impact in our life, and public life, they are subject to standards that goes beyond one of private companies. I suspect upcoming legislation will address that. They jumped the shark, and I think a lot of legislators are going to want to "regulate" how Tiwtter and friends must take decisions on how to censure contents.

It's GDPR++

45's tweets have killed, including police. Twitter is a private company, well within their rights. If you post the same things that 45 had on ThaiVisa, you'd be banned. You know - not just a vacation but a life time ban. Private group.

If you don't like it, then go to Parler. Oh . . . right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Can we agree that the problem is both?  

We can agree the govt has no right to limit the choice of a company on who it accepts.

If it does, then we agree thats a communist trait and you are welcome to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

BLM is banned on Fox News, OAN, Breitbart, and I’m pretty sure on Parler and GAB as well, but that seems to be ok for you and your “2 way street”

not ok with me, but these are obscure little platform[s]

I know your posts well enough to know you really believe this garbage, and that's why we are in such a horrible time. The three sites you call obscure are the truth and the way for over 70 million gullible buffoons, and tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths are a direct result.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

not ok with me, but these are obscure little platform, doesn't have the importance or impact that Twitter and FB has platforms that have been become central should have a higher standard of censorship, not the mobs rule we have here

I suspect Twitter actions are about "appeasing" the Democrats in light of future bi-partisan legislation. This is going to get really interesting in a few months.

Expand  

<snip>

I'm sure [45] won't struggle, he does have a press secretary that can preach to an international audience at any time.

Or 45 can go himself and he could personally explain his actions, his motives, his dreams. 

• Like 1

it does feel that way,

I am glad they jumped the shark, just before upcoming legislation that needs to address those issues

Amazon can shutdown any viable business just because they own the "cloud world"

it needs to stop, and we can thank Trump for exposing them

they were fine with his tweets for years when he was POTUS, now they go after him on a false pretense, that just says a lot about those "digital" platforms. They act like a private army  ????

Your logic is so twisted. Amazon will NEVER shut down a viable business. They DO shut down sites selling Nazi memorabilia. That's bad business. They will, however, sell a gay cake. That's good business. Inciting people to storm the capitol building is indefensible. That's BAD business. It's really simple. Racist terrorist insurrection BAD, democracy GOOD.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

maybe, so if Twitter had any courage, they should have shutdown that account long ago,

I bet the media uproar, and the mobs rule would have forced Twitter to "unban" his account

that's exactly my point, they act like a dominating private army, like they "own" the cloud, and have no principles, not even following their own abusive EULA.

I was a bit uncomfortable with the upcoming legislation on EULA, but now I see how it's necessary, they jumped the shark. Trump is just the prop.

Twisted logic x 2. Twitter is almost TOO principled. They looked the other way far too often because of the respect for what 45 has now sullied - the office of the president. When people started dying because of 45's criminal rhetoric, they pulled the plug. So did just about everyone in the world who have any dealings with him. Why you still defend such a scum speaks volumes.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

there is already a media uproar about Trump account shutdown, maybe not in the US, but here in Europe a lot of political leaders do not agree with this, even if they disliked Trump

Any sources other than Fox, Newsmax or Breitbart?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

disagree, Trump enables the ordinary authoritarians

and that goes for both sides, the anti-Trump crowd is as much as guilty as his supporters for him to exist and survive

Trump is a prop, and the reactions he triggers just reveal a lot of about his opponents

Twisted logic x 3.

45 doesn't "trigger" reactions, he evokes pushback on horrific policies/decisions. Defending him is either lack of critical thinking or trolling.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

not all speech, hate speech for sure, and I think they want to regulate the process for which censure will be applied. The Twitter way is definitely not an option. Thank you Trump, your sacrifice was helpful ????

Twisted logic x 4.

NOT a sacrifice, he made fatal, disastrous decisions and  was removed. Not intentional which is what is inferred in a sacrifice. I'm sure his ears are bleeding steam. his fingers twitching to no avail.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, heybruce said:
1 hour ago, watso63 said:

Facebook, Twitter, Google and Amazon, the new book burning Nazi's????

Were you aware that the Nazi's weren't a private company, but the political party running fascist government?

As well, the Nazi's promoted Positive Christianity.

1 minute ago, Virt said:

Well written and thought evoking article. Greater minds than are on this forum will have to suss it out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sujo said:

We can agree the govt has no right to limit the choice of a company on who it accepts.

If it does, then we agree thats a communist trait and you are welcome to it.

That is a simplistic argument. Companies are quite often placed under rules that prohibit discrimination for arbitrary reasons. If what you say was correct, then restaurants could simply hang signs that say "no coloreds, no Asians" and it would be OK.  

Not to mention the simple fact that the "rules" are applied in a capricious and vindictive manner, generally based on political viewpoint rather than on actual behavior.  It is a sign of the adage that conservatives may disagree with you but don't think you are evil.  Leftists think you ARE evil if you disagree with them. Therefore, any measure to silence you is justified. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2021 at 9:23 PM, Susco said:

Well I know there is some discussion going on in congress currently about this subject.

I haven't followed it, as US politics are not something I'm interested in, but isn't it about that exactly what they are discussing?

No. It is not.

• Confused 1

On 1/9/2021 at 10:26 PM, GrandPapillon said:

it is when it comes to political free speech,

interesting reactions for the anti-Trump crowd, I bet they would threw away all those nice principles if it was their "man" in power

they are completely missing the point, I guess people don't deserve "free speech" after all ????

if channels and private organizations are censuring your free speech ability, what's left of it? just an empty promise

A simple question for you:

How did you exercise your free speach prior to social media?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Credo said:

I have no idea what 'violencing' is, but I haven't seen any tweets from Putin.  Have you?

I can reference you tweets from some of the vilest regimes in the world...

But you wouldn't care because you approve and support non elected regimes around the world, including the odious CCP having access to social media. You do not believe in freedom of speech...you believe in censorship of words, thoughts and ideas....The essence of dictatorship and Marxist Lenninism.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nout said:

I can reference you tweets from some of the vilest regimes in the world...

But you wouldn't care because you approve and support non elected regimes around the world, including the odious CCP having access to social media. You do not believe in freedom of speech...you believe in censorship of words, thoughts and ideas....The essence of dictatorship and Marxist Lenninism.

On Twitter I've been following President Xi of China for years. But only for the jokes.

23 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

That is a simplistic argument. Companies are quite often placed under rules that prohibit discrimination for arbitrary reasons. If what you say was correct, then restaurants could simply hang signs that say "no coloreds, no Asians" and it would be OK.  

Not to mention the simple fact that the "rules" are applied in a capricious and vindictive manner, generally based on political viewpoint rather than on actual behavior.  It is a sign of the adage that conservatives may disagree with you but don't think you are evil.  Leftists think you ARE evil if you disagree with them. Therefore, any measure to silence you is justified. 

But what you advocate is that it is indeed ok for no colored or asians signs.

No one was banned for political views. Perhaps you should read their reasons for it. Are you on twitter. Were you banned for supporting trump?

Though its nice to see sarah sanders high school teacher just own her. Brilliant.

https://news.yahoo.com/sarah-sanders-former-trump-spokesperson-073245333.html

• Like 2