Pattaya: 500 taxis and "baht buses" gathering dust as Covid Wave 2 proves worse than the first

rooster59

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

In many cases, the taxi from Phuket airport to a hotel in Phuket cost more than the flight to Phuket. 

It's a disgrace.  

Hang on,I recall you saying exactly the same regarding baht buses from Pattaya bus terminals to hotels in Pattaya!????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

Phuket doesn't have a taxi system. 

The system there is criminals controlling the essential service, transport, and being able to charge whatever they want, because they know tourist must pay it. 

In many cases, the taxi from Phuket airport to a hotel in Phuket cost more than the flight to Phuket. 

It's a disgrace.  

From the airport to Rawai 1000 Baht, back to the airport I have heard as much as 1800 baht

23 hours ago, Leaver said:

Phuket doesn't have a taxi system. 

The system there is criminals controlling the essential service, transport, and being able to charge whatever they want, because they know tourist must pay it. 

It's a disgrace.  

It`s a system,although it is corrupt and useless  ???? !!

On 1/11/2021 at 6:37 AM, Olmate said:

Hang on,I recall you saying exactly the same regarding baht buses from Pattaya bus terminals to hotels in Pattaya!????

I was posting on the experience of a friend that used the baht bus from the bus station to central Pattaya, pre covid. 

The baht bus was acting like a taxi that doesn't use the meter, and making up their own price.  Pay, or walk.  

On 1/11/2021 at 6:49 AM, ChipButty said:

From the airport to Rawai 1000 Baht, back to the airport I have heard as much as 1800 baht

If bought a reasonable time in advance, there would be domestic, and possibly international flights, with budget carriers, cheaper than this.   

On 1/11/2021 at 11:14 PM, Yahooka said:

It`s a system,although it is corrupt and useless  ???? !!

The transport "system" on Phuket forces everyone, tourists included, onto motorbikes.   

End result, Phuket is one of the worse provinces for road death stats, and with Thailand being one of the worst countries in the world for road death, that makes Phuket's roads among the most dangerous in the world, courtesy of the transport mafia on the island.

The "system" on Phuket has been killing people for decades.

Edited by Leaver

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I was posting on the experience of a friend that used the baht bus from the bus station to central Pattaya, pre covid. 

Irritating to pay 109 baht from Ekamai to Pattaya and then get stung for 100 or more to the hotel under a km away!

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Irritating to pay 109 baht from Ekamai to Pattaya and then get stung for 100 or more to the hotel under a km away!

Leaver posted 100bht ’s more than his “friends” hotel room in Pattaya,somehow I think he might be right.Strikes me strange the exact same comment was used re Phuket taxis!!

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

The baht bus was acting like a taxi that doesn't use the meter, and making up their own price.  Pay, or walk.  

Baht buses don,t have meters and yes you agree on a price and yes pay or don,t...up to you. Are you thinking your friend should ride free?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Baht buses don,t have meters and yes you agree on a price and yes pay or don,t...up to you. Are you thinking your friend should ride free?

Well if its used as a taxi then it should be metred.

• Haha 1

i have mainly had decent trips with Baht Buses' and taxi's but like a lot the iffy ones are the ones that stand out the three girls pickpocket gang who jumped off the baht bus when i called them out as they tried to rob me , the driver just shrugged,

a few years before i visited Udon Thani with the wife, and near chocked with laughter when 

the cycle sam- lor accelerated away from the shopping mall with my 70 baht change...

he looked about ninety and it was so funny as he escaped in ''slow motion'' 

and being the eternal optimist back in Pattaya i gave a driver 100 baht by the school /temple

junction and he stood on the gas to make a clean getaway, over 18 years.

so thats a bad un every six years. i have my own friendly Baht bus driver, who we call  same 

for Taxi where ever we are in Thailand, its better and far cheaper than the UK. and the laughs

are well worth the price. 

33 minutes ago, Olmate said:

No, of course not. 

I am thinking my friend got taken advantage of, not because he was a newbie, but because the drivers know, pay, or walk, and this is obviously sanctioned by those in power.  

Here's a novel thought for you.  Given Pattaya is a "World Class Tourist Destination" can you imagine, just for one minute, there were actually taxis at the bus station that used their meter.  ????