COE / visa exempt, in 3rd country (no Thai embassy)?

My friend is USA citizen currently stuck in Serbia, he'd like to come to Thailand (visa exempt), but there's no Thai embassy there... Since he only needs COE, which is done online, is this workable?

On COE online application, after he enter his location Serbia, he gets Athens Thai embassy  in drop-down menu, so they will issue COE.

Before he buy the tickets, insurance, hotels etc., he'd like to know if anybody did this before? (applied COE in 3rd country without Thai embassy) or if anybody knows is this workable at all? Thanks! 

On 1/10/2021 at 7:07 AM, ubonjoe said:

A member has recently done it. He is a US citizen in a south american country and did it to a embassy in another country.

He will complete the certificate of entry online application and submit it to embassy in Athens.

He will need his ticket to here, a reservation at a ASQ hotel and covid 19 insurance valid for 60 days.

he may also be asked for a work permit or residence visa in Serbia..

8 minutes ago, mjakob007 said:

he may also be asked for a work permit or residence visa in Serbia..

Why?

He will only be applying for a certificate of entry that does not have such requirements. If he was applying for a visa at the embassy in Athens he might have to prove he is a legal resident of Serbia.

• Thanks 1

Yes, UbonJoe.

When i applied for CoE in a country other than my native,  I was asked to produce a residence visa/work permit for the country in which i applied for CoE (I had a PE visa then).

It would be straight forward to have it clarified from the embassy in Greece in this case.

I recently had a similar issue. The rule at the consulate's website was: Apply at the Consulate of your RESIDENCE or the consulate of your CITIZENSHIP. I suggest you contact the consulates at Athens AND in the US and simply ask if they will issue you a COE. Since the COE requires buying a ticket and a (sometimes non-refundable) ASQ hotel reservation so better check before spending the money.

12 minutes ago, CNXBKK said:

I recently had a similar issue. The rule at the consulate's website was: Apply at the Consulate of your RESIDENCE or the consulate of your CITIZENSHIP. I suggest you contact the consulates at Athens AND in the US and simply ask if they will issue you a COE. Since the COE requires buying a ticket and a (sometimes non-refundable) ASQ hotel reservation so better check before spending the money.

ASQ can be booked through Agoda with ‘Easy Cancel’.

Agoda’s 'Easy Cancel’ provides ‘risk free’ booking which can be cancelled for any reason up to 1 day before check in without any charge (Agoda also doesn’t take payment until 2 days before check-in).

I just had an ASQ hotel confirm these conditions in writing as they contradicted the hotels own policy (which states a charge of 50% refund if cancelled within 14 days and no refund is less than 7 days). The hotel emailed direct confirmation with Agoda’s terms. 

2 hours ago, CNXBKK said:

I recently had a similar issue. The rule at the consulate's website was: Apply at the Consulate of your RESIDENCE or the consulate of your CITIZENSHIP.

The online COE application clearly states origin when you start the application for it. 

image.png.0b4820f76e1514cc3414a6d6752ff6d7.png

The definition of origin is. "1the point or place where something begins, arises, or is derived".

It is clearly the starting point of your trip.

I think you or the embassy are stating the requirements for a visa application.